Sponsored

Shopping for winter tires

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
So this being my daily, it will get to be driven during the winter pretty much...well daily. So I'm shopping around for tires and have some questions. I do a lot of highway driving so what I'm most afraid of is hitting an icy patch at 60mph+ or for example slowing down/speeding up on the on/off ramps. I'm literally scared with the tires I have now because I feel like they're hockey pucks when it gets cold/wet outside. I've literally driven on summer tires well into winter that felt better than these ones.

1. I have black accent wheels which are 19x8.5, so 255/40/19 PZero all seasons on them (garbage, drove in snow with them in March and had no confidence with them on). I found some winter tires LM60 Blizzaks but they're 245/40/19, would that be acceptable on my wheels?

2. Can I get away with just replacing the rears? I assume not, but I'd like to know what kind of effect that would have on drivability.

3. Any comparable All Seasons (Conti)? Again I assume not, but it would save me from having to do tire swaps between seasons.

4. Will stiffening up the rear help at all?
Sponsored

bam88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost PP
If you are driving in snow and ice get a set of winter tires, stock tires are shit under 50 degrees.

I was originally looking at the 245 size, they will fit the wheel but your speedo will be a bit off but the speed variance is less than 3%.

Get all 4 tires, your steering and braking is done with the front tires which is the most important.

I would just bite the bullet and get a dedicated winter tire as "4 season" tires really just suck at all seasons. If you do lots of winter driving in snow and ice get a winter tire.

Depends on what you mean by stiffening. Stiffer springs will make handling on ice worse due to less weight transfer, stiffening the subframe and reducing wheel hop could actually help.

OP
OP
csmaan12

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are driving in snow and ice get a set of winter tires, stock tires are shit under 50 degrees.

I was originally looking at the 245 size, they will fit the wheel but your speedo will be a bit off but the speed variance is less than 3%.

Get all 4 tires, your steering and braking is done with the front tires which is the most important.

I would just bite the bullet and get a dedicated winter tire as "4 season" tires really just suck at all seasons. If you do lots of winter driving in snow and ice get a winter tire.

Depends on what you mean by stiffening. Stiffer springs will make handling on ice worse due to less weight transfer, stiffening the subframe and reducing wheel hop could actually help.
Yeah I'm leaning towards a dedicated set anyhow, was just curious.

Also by stiffening I mean the subframe, I have brand new springs sitting in my garage but I'm going to sell them lol. I figure stiffening up the subframe will get rid of that side to side sway at higher speeds which will probably help keep the car more stable feeling. It's pretty sloppy for stock.

Osvic@N4SM

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
So this being my daily, it will get to be driven during the winter pretty much...well daily. So I'm shopping around for tires and have some questions. I do a lot of highway driving so what I'm most afraid of is hitting an icy patch at 60mph+ or for example slowing down/speeding up on the on/off ramps. I'm literally scared with the tires I have now because I feel like they're hockey pucks when it gets cold/wet outside. I've literally driven on summer tires well into winter that felt better than these ones.

1. I have black accent wheels which are 19x8.5, so 255/40/19 PZero all seasons on them (garbage, drove in snow with them in March and had no confidence with them on). I found some winter tires LM60 Blizzaks but they're 245/40/19, would that be acceptable on my wheels?

2. Can I get away with just replacing the rears? I assume not, but I'd like to know what kind of effect that would have on drivability.

3. Any comparable All Seasons (Conti)? Again I assume not, but it would save me from having to do tire swaps between seasons.

4. Will stiffening up the rear help at all?
Continental Extreme Contact Sport have been amazing to me!

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I run the Mich Xi3 and been very comfortable with it...245/45/19 (I think, it's either 40 or 45 aspect), but last winter I was able to do just fine on an A/S as we only got a dusting to an 1" of snow at any one time.

Shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO Mustang GT
I'm getting Bridgestone Blizzak 245/45/19 for mine. I've ran Blizzaks on numerous Mustangs and 2 Lightnings. They are awesome on snow and ice. Only down fall is they wear quick on dry pavement. I've only managed two winters on previous cars.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
To all NOTHING will compare to Nokian Hakkapelittias!!

I had them on my car all last winter and living in Northern North Dakota it was a blast!

Car was unbelieveably better in the snow than i expected!

10/10 wood winter again with these tires LOL!!

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2/

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/winter-tire-test-six-top-brands-tested-compared-feature

Nokian comparison test won every catagory but price.

Try hard enough and you can find them cheap enough.

They were worth every penny last year.

Good luck finding a better set!

Shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO Mustang GT
I think I'm gonna buy the Nokian instead of Blizzaks plus they're cheaper.

Sponsored

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
Im close enough hour south of Winnipeg in North Dakota. Never mind the sig <<<<< im "deployed in wash dc" lol

Hakkas or Bust!

I gave my co workers a lot of shit last winter sure alot of 4x4 pickups and SUVs in the ditch but no yellow mustangs HAHA!!

Put proper snow shoes on your pony you wont regret it!!

Bring it old man winter im dressed for the occasion!

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Here in East Missouri you can never predict how severe the winter is going to be, usually they are mild as far as snow goes. But some years we get blasted. Since this car is my DD I'm getting winter tires. Probably overkill but it's better to have them and not need them than the other way around. Probably go with Blizzaks or Nokian, whichever I can find cheaper locally.

Sp33dyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 competition orange
find some base 18 inch wheels and use base size 235-50-18 will handle like jello over 50+ degrees but the car will be a TANK in the snow.

OP
OP
csmaan12

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)