Sponsored

Comprehensive Airlift P Install (Pictures Lost)

PaintItBlack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 5.0
So you can set a minimum height? Ideally, I'd love to sit on the Steeda slamming rails... I mean jacking rails, but who knows if that'll work lol.
You can, but I don't know if the suspension geometry will allow the S550 to go any lower than the factory setting without modifying the suspension. Airlift would probably know. I'll try to measure the clearance to my rockers when I get a chance. In general, I can get the front of my shoe under it but thats about it.
Sponsored

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Very nice write-up and the pics will definitely help others and gives another perspective on how/where to install the components.

I did a lot of sitting and staring/planning and was able to install my kit without drilling a single hole. I run a bigger tank so it would not fit in the spare tire well and I am running two compressors as well.

Regarding the USB cable/cord. I ran mine down the drivers side door sill and I have plenty of cable left. I also have my controller mounted similarly as yours next to the touch screen and have a good amount of cable tucked behind the center console.

You should take your exhaust line and poke it through the grommet right below it. It makes it so you can really hear the car when it airs out from the outside and turns every ones head when you do it.

My ride height settings are currently 50/50(f) 75/75(r)

PaintItBlack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 5.0
Very nice write-up and the pics will definitely help others and gives another perspective on how/where to install the components.

I did a lot of sitting and staring/planning and was able to install my kit without drilling a single hole. I run a bigger tank so it would not fit in the spare tire well and I am running two compressors as well.

Regarding the USB cable/cord. I ran mine down the drivers side door sill and I have plenty of cable left. I also have my controller mounted similarly as yours next to the touch screen and have a good amount of cable tucked behind the center console.

You should take your exhaust line and poke it through the grommet right below it. It makes it so you can really hear the car when it airs out from the outside and turns every ones head when you do it.

If you don't mind sharing, what are your damper settings?

Also, I second routing the exhaust outside. Sounds awesome! The manifold will also dump little bursts when evening out the bags, sounds kinda like a nitrous purge.

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
So you can set a minimum height? Ideally, I'd love to sit on the Steeda slamming rails... I mean jacking rails, but who knows if that'll work lol.

Here is my car air'd all the way out. You would have to do some major cutting to the wheel wells to get it that low.

In the below picture I am sitting hard on the tires in the front on a 20x9 with a 255/35/20 G2 tire. Tires make a difference as well. These 20" G2s have an overall diameter similar to the stock PP wheels. The MPSS 20" are a whole inch shorter in the same diameter as the g2s which would bring the car down even lower.

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
If you don't mind sharing, what are your damper settings?

Also, I second routing the exhaust outside. Sounds awesome! The manifold will also dump little bursts when evening out the bags, sounds kinda like a nitrous purge.
The purge sound is so addicting.

Mine are still set right in the middle. A year later I still need to get the car aligned :eyebulge:

The car rides really good. Not harsh at all and not floaty/bouncy. Firm, yet... like riding on air :D . Passengers definitely enjoy not having their spines crushed on every bump. After having air on this car for a year now. I think it would be hard to go back to any other type of suspension unless I was building a purpose built car.

There are so many pros to having air suspension. I just smile when I hear people try to talk about the negatives. "Cars too low" "Ok, tell me what you think is the perfect height and I will set it to that :D"

I overheard a lady last year tell her husband she liked the way the car looked but she preferred a car that was drive able. I just hit the button and watched her eyes get big as the car raised up :D

Sponsored

Terminated

GTFO_0009
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
Bagged & Boosted 50th Anniversary
I've never been able to touch the rails to the pavement. I end up resting on the G-Track brace up front. It's taken a beating haha

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks man! Yah, the USB cable worked for me to, I just wanted to let people know going a separate path with it will net more slack. In line site I would have brought it down the drivers side.

Hey, great idea with the exhaust I'm definitely doing this :thumbsup:

Funny, thats the exact setting I saved in the center button location. How come even though I set it to 50/50 front 75/75 rear the rear goes to 80/80 ish once I start driving?

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my car air'd all the way out. You would have to do some major cutting to the wheel wells to get it that low.

In the below picture I am sitting hard on the tires in the front on a 20x9 with a 255/35/20 G2 tire. Tires make a difference as well. These 20" G2s have an overall diameter similar to the stock PP wheels. The MPSS 20" are a whole inch shorter in the same diameter as the g2s which would bring the car down even lower.

Wow, that looks great!

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Mine are still set right in the middle. A year later I still need to get the car aligned :eyebulge:

The car rides really good. Not harsh at all and not floaty/bouncy. Firm, yet... like riding on air :D . Passengers definitely enjoy not having their spines crushed on every bump. After having air on this car for a year now. I think it would be hard to go back to any other type of suspension unless I was building a purpose built car.

There are so many pros to having air suspension. I just smile when I hear people try to talk about the negatives. "Cars too low" "Ok, tell me what you think is the perfect height and I will set it to that :D"

I overheard a lady last year tell her husband she liked the way the car looked but she preferred a car that was drive able. I just hit the button and watched her eyes get big as the car raised up :D
Agreed, I can never go back now. Today I filled to 125 squared and was able to get my lift arms under the car. No more driving on wood blocks :headbang:

PaintItBlack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 5.0
Thanks man! Yah, the USB cable worked for me to, I just wanted to let people know going a separate path with it will net more slack. In line site I would have brought it down the drivers side.

Hey, great idea with the exhaust I'm definitely doing this :thumbsup:

Funny, thats the exact setting I saved in the center button location. How come even though I set it to 50/50 front 75/75 rear the rear goes to 80/80 ish once I start driving?
I have found the controller has a bit of tolerance, e.g. it won't always nail your presets. It helps to make sure the controller is finished adjusting before you move. Moving while the preset is still flashing makes mine end up off more than if I sit still.

Sponsored

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP

You will find that the numbers will bounce around (within a close range to your setting) and rarely stay at a constant setting.

Remember it is a pressure based system so if you are changing settings while in motion the natural bumps and dips in the road causes the car to exert more and less pressure which causes the controller to try and adjust accordingly.

If let's say your fronts are set at 50. It might settle at 53 or 49. Whatever number it hits it will typically stay at that number unless you adjust it with the controller. Otherwise, it would cycle constantly trying to compensate and burn out.

I live on the corner of the street with a stop sign. I air my car up when I pull out of the driveway and when I get to the stop sign and stop I will hit the ride height button. It tends to hold the settings more consistently doing it this way. Sometimes I will hit the center button again to get it settled into the correct setting after driving to the end of the neighborhood.

I also have the height sensors that I have not put in yet. I hear they help with keeping the settings more consistent.

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

I have been on the fence since I got my Stang last year...After reading this thread I want Air even more...My wife always complains about the ride when ever we go out in the Stang... always says its to ruff of a ride for her.

Looks like Airlift should be in my future.:D

How does the car handle with bags ? I love taking corners real aggressively, do the bags reduce cornering ?

Joe

Andrewg

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic GT 401A
Great looking install. Same direction I want to go with mine eventually. Appreciate you taking the time to do a write up. What made you go 3P over 3H?

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have been on the fence since I got my Stang last year...After reading this thread I want Air even more...My wife always complains about the ride when ever we go out in the Stang... always says its to ruff of a ride for her.

Looks like Airlift should be in my future.:D

How does the car handle with bags ? I love taking corners real aggressively, do the bags reduce cornering ?

Joe
The car handles even better with bags. I have tried 3 different sets of springs, 3 different shocks and strut setups and then switched to KW V3 coilovers. I just took the KW's out, which I thought were incredible and I am blown away with how much better Airlift is. I looked into this and apparently air is even superior tracking the car as well.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great looking install. Same direction I want to go with mine eventually. Appreciate you taking the time to do a write up. What made you go 3P over 3H?
I purchased the 3H I just haven't added the height sensors yet.
Sponsored