Sponsored

Steeda's S550 Billet Rear Shock Mounts Are Finally Here!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I notice these things because they happen.

Seems others since I’ve posted that have said the same thing.
Holy cow, sure dug up an old one! I too have noticed all the improvements since installing them in March and have been one of the biggest advocates of these on every S550.
Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
On the basis of that usage and no adverse affects it'll be fine for my purposes. Even if they did need replacing by now, based on my experience with sphericals that would be a good service interval for these parts.

Yes my second question was directed at Steedatech, he's been on here since I first posted but I'll PM if I hear nothing. Just thought others might be interested.
Yes, the bearings can be replaced or serviced only. When being replaced use loctite stud and bearing mount.The service bearings are 19.95 each.

Thank you,

Steeda Tech

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Evan Smith, a contributing writer at Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords, recently covered the utility of Steeda’s S550 Billet Aluminum Rear Shock Mount, along with a how-to install:

“If you’re looking for a quick and easy modification you can do at home, take a look at Steeda’s billet shock mount for the S550 (2015-present) Ford Mustang. The rear upper shock mount is located behind the rear tires (in the wheel well); its purpose is to connect the upper portion of the rear shock to the chassis, and Steeda’s version is a perfect upgrade if you’ve lowered your Stang or added stiff shocks.”

Glen Vitale, VP of Operations at Steeda, discussed with Smith, “the factory mount is cast from aluminum and it’s fitted with a rubber bushing that supports the shock…Once the aftermarket shocks started coming out for the S550 Mustang, people all across the country ran into issues breaking the factory rear shock mount. Whether it was drag racing or road racing, very stiff shocks were causing problems for customers.” Consequently, our engineering team in Valdosta, GA put their heads together to come up with a solution for the Mustang lovers encountering these issues.

As Smith writes, “the result is a billet aluminum mount that’s designed specifically for the S550 chassis with a steel, spherical Teflon-lined bearing rather than a rubber bushing. Not only is the Steeda unit stronger, it offers improved rear shock control, and the kit provides ¼-inch more clearance per side so you can run wider rear tires.”

The mounts are designed and manufactured right here in the USA, built to Steeda-quality-specs and standards. We know there is a large variance in size and build for aftermarket shocks, so we offer several models to accommodate that fluctuation.

Smith adds, “The aluminum mounts are also a nice upgrade for those running stock shocks, especially if you plan to upgrade to Pro-Actions (or another aftermarket shock) in the future. There is no drilling required, and these mounts are upgradable with a simple spacer and nut change. The Steeda Billet Shock Mounts are also great for drag racers, drifting and autocross, or if you’re running aggressive shocks on your Ford. In any case, they will enhance control with uncompromised durability, and they are available for all 2015-present Mustangs, including the 5.0L GT, EcoBoost or V6 models.”

Make sure you check out the rest of the article, which includes a step-by-step installation guide with photos. For more S550 suspension upgrades, click here.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/1710-s550-billet-rear-shock-mount-steeda-autosports/

TJ

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I tried to install mine on the JRZ and while they are 10m x 1.0 there isn't enough threads on the shaft for it to work.

Last edited:

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
I tried to install mine on the JRZ and while they are 10m x 1.0 there isn't enough threads on the shaft for it to work.
Hi Jon, I will look into this on Monday and see if we have solution.
Please pm your contact info.

The Best,

Steeda Tech

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Hi Jon, I will look into this on Monday and see if we have solution.
Please pm your contact info.

The Best,

Steeda Tech
Sent you my info thank you, first time I have any problems with a product you guys make but I understand it is hard to know ever solution for every shock maker.

I suspect that a washer that is half the height of the one included would solve my issue.

Last edited:

Gojr47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
For PP shocks, do you remove the the OEM spacer? I didn't see a definitive answer when I read the thread. I'm lowered 0.5 inches (BMR).

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
For PP shocks, do you remove the the OEM spacer? I didn't see a definitive answer when I read the thread. I'm lowered 0.5 inches (BMR).
The spacer remains on the PP shocks.

SteedaTech

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
After 5 days and <100 miles the top nut is loose again causing a rattle. Anyone have a permanent fix for this?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
After 5 days and <100 miles the top nut is loose again causing a rattle. Anyone have a permanent fix for this?
Could try blue loctite. Mine have not come loose after being properly tightened for nearly a year. Daily driven car.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Don't see how these shock mounts are the cause of that. What shocks do you have and can we see how they are being assembled? Are you seating them completely through the bearing (which takes a little wiggling).

Talk to [MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION]. They're your best resource for trouble-shooting.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Don't see how these shock mounts are the cause of that. What shocks do you have and can we see how they are being assembled? Are you seating them completely through the bearing (which takes a little wiggling).

Talk to [MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION]. They're your best resource for trouble-shooting.
They can definitely clunk/rattle if the nut is loose at all. Had it happen before as have others. If you read his post above, it was initially fixed when they were re-tightened, but they came loose again. I'm thinking just not tight enough. It is tricky to do on the OE shock shaft, but well worth it.
Sponsored