Sponsored

How strong is powder coat?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Powdercoat on my Forgestars seems to be quite tough. No chips on any of the wheels that I can see. Some light surface scratches inside the barrel that are only visible when you take the wheel off and fully clean all of the brake dust off.
Sponsored

CarlosMRRDesignWheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Wondering if there is a way to get MRR to comment on the complaints on their wheel paint holding up/chipping? They sponsor this forum, do they have a rep on here? I am considering their M600, but don't want to end up with a wheel that looks bad after a year.
Hey Bartly good morning your right Im always in the loop, If you look at our entire history which is public we have done many wheels for the Mustang community and thats only counting the forum, our entire FS series is completely custom and must be powder coated by our own in house team in order for a set to be completed, I have told customer numerous times that our product has warranty especially on custom finishes, as for anyone that purchased wheels from a authorized dealer and are the first initial buyer they all know they can contact me and open a claim, is easy for us to simply re powder coat a wheel, but as of today for the 2 people with complaints after hundreds of wheels sold we have not heard of a claim even be sent to us which only tells us that they know they may not qualify for what ever the reason may be, Any way the proof is on all the post hundreds of satisfied customers against two complaints well thats a great record.

*** Note ** if you have a problem with one of our wheels or in fact any brands wheels is always a good thing to contact the manufacture with your proof of purchase on hand and let them know you have a problem that way they are aware you have a issue. **

for the gentleman claiming 3 replacement wheels from us..... we may need to double check because we currently do not have a single record of ever switching out a wheel do to finish for any client...

Ill post up our powder coating process on this link shortly, I will also show the deference from a certain competitor compared to ours with out mentioning names of course. see you guys soon.

By the way dont miss out on our Pre Black friday . Here are just a few color samples.

M600 (2).jpg

fs01brushgold.jpg

fs01purple.jpg

_MG_6404.jpg

_MG_6405.jpg

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
As is the case in automotive body finishing, I would say surface prep is king followed by the quality of the paint and process.

I've built custom motorcycles with powdercoated frames with varying levels of toughness. Some have been almost bulletproof and some chip if you look at them wrong, and I believe most of this was how the frame was prepped. Sandblasted always was best in the case of a frame.

CarlosMRRDesignWheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
As is the case in automotive body finishing, I would say surface prep is king followed by the quality of the paint and process.

I've built custom motorcycles with powdercoated frames with varying levels of toughness. Some have been almost bulletproof and some chip if you look at them wrong, and I believe most of this was how the frame was prepped. Sandblasted always was best in the case of a frame.
Stroke we completely agree with you Prep is King to any finishing product a short cut here will completely ruin your day.

CarlosMRRDesignWheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Todays work flow

Here is a quick look at todays work flow, we are talking about a total of 6 sets on the hangers and 2 sets inside the oven this is over 25 grand in wheels and custom finishing.

Aside from our work flow it shows how polished out many of our wheels need to be in order to start applying powder some have brush affects some are transparent colors and others are standard Gloss finishes.

you can also see a set of FS06 and FS01 that currently have the Special high temperature tape on each center bore and back pad and will be added to the center bores, this eliminates any possible paint to land in this area which can cause trouble ones on the car.

_MG_6534.jpg

_MG_6536.jpg

_MG_6533.jpg

_MG_6532.jpg

_MG_6530.jpg

_MG_6539.jpg

_MG_6540.jpg

_MG_6529.jpg

_MG_6526.jpg

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey Bartly good morning your right Im always in the loop, If you look at our entire history which is public we have done many wheels for the Mustang community and thats only counting the forum, our entire FS series is completely custom and must be powder coated by our own in house team in order for a set to be completed, I have told customer numerous times that our product has warranty especially on custom finishes, as for anyone that purchased wheels from a authorized dealer and are the first initial buyer they all know they can contact me and open a claim, is easy for us to simply re powder coat a wheel, but as of today for the 2 people with complaints after hundreds of wheels sold we have not heard of a claim even be sent to us which only tells us that they know they may not qualify for what ever the reason may be, Any way the proof is on all the post hundreds of satisfied customers against two complaints well thats a great record.

*** Note ** if you have a problem with one of our wheels or in fact any brands wheels is always a good thing to contact the manufacture with your proof of purchase on hand and let them know you have a problem that way they are aware you have a issue. **

for the gentleman claiming 3 replacement wheels from us..... we may need to double check because we currently do not have a single record of ever switching out a wheel do to finish for any client...

Ill post up our powder coating process on this link shortly, I will also show the deference from a certain competitor compared to ours with out mentioning names of course. see you guys soon.

By the way dont miss out on our Pre Black friday . Here are just a few color samples.
Thanks for the reply. Wheels are one thing that I'd hate to have to deal with a problem on. Just because they are what I would be driving on to/from work, the hassle with getting the tires dismounted/mounted, dealing with syncing the Pressure sensors and all that just doesn't sound like much fun.

Can you tell me what type of powder you use? Polyester, urethane, epoxy and hybrid polyesters are the ones I'm aware of. Curious what your wheels are coated with. Also wondering what # Stage cleaning prep your process uses.

Thanks again for the reply.

CarlosMRRDesignWheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks for the reply. Wheels are one thing that I'd hate to have to deal with a problem on. Just because they are what I would be driving on to/from work, the hassle with getting the tires dismounted/mounted, dealing with syncing the Pressure sensors and all that just doesn't sound like much fun.

Can you tell me what type of powder you use? Polyester, urethane, epoxy and hybrid polyesters are the ones I'm aware of. Curious what your wheels are coated with. Also wondering what # Stage cleaning prep your process uses.

Thanks again for the reply.
Many of our steps are trade secrets in which I personally can not expose.
but the one thing that is not a secret is our Powder, We use one of the top leaders when it comes to powder coating and is the same powder used by many other brands well known in the industry.

Here is a link in case you want to indulge in eye candy .
https://www.prismaticpowders.com/powder-coating-colors/

as for the cleaning same issue we can not disclosed some of the info but I can tell you that we have a very and I mean very expensive Super Sonic Tank that handles our entire production.
this is used to eliminate any harsh chemicals / or grease, prep work residue and any other microscopic what ever that may cause a reaction ones in powder face.

as for any other information I would invite anyone to our Los Angeles facility where I personally can give you a quick tour and over look of our facility and production.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Well my records show 3 of the same wheel going back and forth. Im lucky that the other wheels have been ok but even the finish when i received them was just above acceptable.
You can also claim the prep work done but i can see the dust stuck in mine and there is one wheel with a big orange spot in the barrel from something contaminating it during the powder.

Im hoping this last one is the last exchange. I havent even had a chance to look at the latest replacement but i know there were at least a few bumps in the barrel and every replacement had a deformity in the spoke shaping.

Maybe because I was a custom color and not a production run but who knows.

CarlosMRRDesignWheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Well my records show 3 of the same wheel going back and forth. Im lucky that the other wheels have been ok but even the finish when i received them was just above acceptable.
You can also claim the prep work done but i can see the dust stuck in mine and there is one wheel with a big orange spot in the barrel from something contaminating it during the powder.

Im hoping this last one is the last exchange. I havent even had a chance to look at the latest replacement but i know there were at least a few bumps in the barrel and every replacement had a deformity in the spoke shaping.

Maybe because I was a custom color and not a production run but who knows.
Are you sure your talking about our wheels.... Im not joking with you im trying to figure out your issue cause we absolutely have no records of your sale or any custom wheel needing to be exchanged especially 3 times, plus why have you not contacted MRR Directly?? only on this forum, as Ive told members before the forum will not solve your problem only a manufacture can so please email me directly at [email protected]
please email me a copy of your invoice also any tracking that shows 3 wheels being replaced/ we need to know which vendor sold you the wheels/ this will also allow to see if we ( mrr wheels) did the custom finish for you or if the shop took the wheels to get your custom color through there own suppliers.
hope to hear from you soon. :thumbsup:

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Are you sure your talking about our wheels.... Im not joking with you im trying to figure out your issue cause we absolutely have no records of your sale or any custom wheel needing to be exchanged especially 3 times, plus why have you not contacted MRR Directly?? only on this forum, as Ive told members before the forum will not solve your problem only a manufacture can so please email me directly at [email protected]
please email me a copy of your invoice also any tracking that shows 3 wheels being replaced/ we need to know which vendor sold you the wheels/ this will also allow to see if we ( mrr wheels) did the custom finish for you or if the shop took the wheels to get your custom color through there own suppliers.
hope to hear from you soon. :thumbsup:
It was a very reputable shop i bought it through and i only went custom color bc MRR was running a promo for them last black friday time.

I spoke to MRR direct for all replacements, the shop that sold me the wheels has not been involved in anything except the initial sale.

If this latest wheel fails ill make sure ill reach out to you .

Sponsored

CarlosMRRDesignWheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It was a very reputable shop i bought it through and i only went custom color bc MRR was running a promo for them last black friday time.

I spoke to MRR direct for all replacements, the shop that sold me the wheels has not been involved in anything except the initial sale.

If this latest wheel fails ill make sure ill reach out to you .
well.. let me know if we have a problem or if you dont cause you seem to be following any threads where our brand is mentioned and you seem to want to blast us on our wheels/ our finish etc/ so if you have a problem Im here to help if you want something fixed im here to fix it, if you simply dont want a problem solved but want to bash our brand then we have a different problem/

Im not trying to sound like a jerk trust me on that but it is very simple, we appreciate each single customer we have and thats why we are on the forum to have a more direct contact for our customers, we want each one to know that we are here and not hiding in closed doors.

OP
OP
mindys

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Has this been resolved?
MRR will refinish the wheels for me. I just need to send them out. I have been too busy with other things to get that done still.