Sponsored

Mystery cracked windscreen.

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
Not used the Mustang for a week. Parked in safe place by my house.

Got in just now and there is a massive crack in the windscreen starting just to the drivers side of the Ford logo down to the middle and across the passenger side.

No sign of a chip from a stone or any damage to bodywork due to maybe a falling object thanks to the wind.

My next worry is replacement. Anyone had it done?

How about unattaching and reattaching the rearview mirror and rain sensor? Will I be hoovering out broken glass for the next few year? Are there any windscreens in the country?
Sponsored

Stripes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT 401a + Roush AB, MRT H-Pipe
Your front windshield is laminated, and will not break into tiny pieces like tempered glass would. You won't be hoovering out anything anytime soon if you remove it.

You may have had a hairline invisible crack previously, and then from temperature changes, the crack grew to be more visible.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
Replacement booked for next week. Not OEM which means I lose the Ford logo but then since the last parking ticket had my car down as a Ford Capri, I got off, it may make it even harder to identify the car :)

Mind you that's £75 I can't afford right now :(

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
personally i'd make sure I got an OEM one not a replica from like national windscreens or someone.

Sponsored

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
My windscreen was one of the first http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62195

I was concerned to get an OEM glass replacement in RHD not least for Ford logo, VIN window and also it is a sound screen and I'm not sure what that means but it may reduce road and wind noise in the cabin.

Direct Line £75 via Autoglass sourced an OEM replacement in a few days but I think it cost them a small fortune. It was manufactured in Germany and shipped to the US then back to UK.

OP
OP

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
Actual.

Who did you have to call to get the OEM part fitted?

Ta

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
When the screen went in the Range Rover Autoglass wanted to fit a third party screen but we insisted on oem so they contacted the insurance company who approved it as it was a newish car

So it may also be down to your insurance company

OP
OP

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
Been onto Autoglass who checked and came back with the fact that my insurance company will only cover the cost of an equivalent aftermarket replacement.

They are going to get back to me about the cost but seeing as I don't like the sudden surprise of a £75 expense very nice, I doubt I will like the answer.

Maybe they are better as there seems to be a lot of threads about the US OE one cracking on pretty newish cars.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
I feel for you man.. bummer!!

Just one thing you might want to check when the old screen is removed is that there aren't any raised ares of metal work or spot welds adjacent to where your crack started. There were a couple of GT86 screens which did exactly the same as yours due to a deformed flange on the screens metal frame on the a pillar. It doesn't take much to crack a laminated screen if a very small contact area is involved.

Sponsored

dwaine dibbley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Coupe 2016
If it was my car, I'd insist on a genuine screen with the Ford logo.

It's part in the design of the car to have the only Ford logo on the outside there.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Been onto Autoglass who checked and came back with the fact that my insurance company will only cover the cost of an equivalent aftermarket replacement.

They are going to get back to me about the cost but seeing as I don't like the sudden surprise of a £75 expense very nice, I doubt I will like the answer.

Maybe they are better as there seems to be a lot of threads about the US OE one cracking on pretty newish cars.
Don't believe what they are telling youfirst hand. I would get in touch with your insurance company if I were you. Perhaps tell them that as the screen is an integral member of the bodyshell your warranty will be affected if a pattern part is fitted. Worth a try?

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
Actual.

Who did you have to call to get the OEM part fitted?

Ta
At the time Autoglass didn't have an aftermarket glass.

As I said at the time...

...I asked my dealer for a price. A Ford windscreen will cost £1190 + VAT (£1428.00) and this is for part only
Genuine Ford windscreen, Soundscreen, Ford logo, rain sensor on left, VIN cut out on right.

The fitter said that the glass had been ordered in from Ford and there was a note on the job that the cost was £750.00 and it is unlikely that they would have a 3rd party glass as it is such a rare model. He estimated that windscreens for more common cars cost about £100.00.
I expect that most windscreen jobs cost less than the £75.00 insurance excess.

Do you really need to replace it straightaway? Is there a legal issue driving with a cracked windscreen even in the drivers vision area? It's a couple of years until it has to pass an MOT.

welsh treg

Mid life crisis guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pony power
I'm insured with Admiral, had a new oem screen fitted by Autoglass last week(Swansea based) Ford logo, vin window, etc had no issues.
Sponsored