Sponsored

Switching stock V6 brakes to GT brakes

bexleycorona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang Metallic Grey
So I had some eBay bucks to burn and some time. I decided to purchase some GT brakes with about 11k miles on them. I figure once my current pads are done I can put these in. I have attached pictures.

1.) Can I just take it to a shop and they can transfer over the brakes? Did I buy all the right things? I know, I should have done my research beforehand but I have a habit of impulse buys.

2.) How much life is left in the pads and rotors approx?
s-l400 (1).jpg
s-l400 (2).jpg
s-l400 (3).jpg
s-l400.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
You may want to check the below part numbers as you are missing the sheilds.

FR3Z-2K004-F
Splash Shield

FR3Z-2K005-F
Splash Shield

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Although the S197 made it easy to upgrade the base brakes to GT size by simply bolting on the GT calipers and rotors, I have no idea if the same thing works on the S550, and it would be naive to assume that it does without researching it.

As far as how much life is left in the parts you bought, that is impossible to tell from a pic. A brake rotors life is measured in thousandths of an inch, it needs to be measured with a dial caliper to determine if it is still within service life. However, just looking at your pics one rotor appears to be worn considerably thinner than the other, maybe it's just a difference in the angle they are visible at, but before trying to use them you should make sure that both rotors are within tolerance for thickness and runout and that both are FRONT rotors as the thinner one might be from the rear brakes and accidentally mixed up in the parts the seller salvaged.

Just my opinion, rotors and pads are normal wear items and are not something to take the chance on buying used. Brakes are too important to risk on saving a few dollars on with used wear items. Used low mileage calipers are fine for doing the upgrade to bigger GT brakes, but if it were me I'd just buy new rotors and pads to go with the GT calipers. You may not have much choice in the matter either way, because I think you'll have a hard time finding a shop that will install used brake parts for you. It's a liability thing for them, they won't take the risk on unknown wear items, and certainly won't offer any kind of warranty on the work.

Sponsored

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
I did this upgrade. I do recommend getting the back shields. Your pictures do not tell the whole story in regards to determining how much life is left in the pads or rotors...let alone if the pads were wearing evenly. Also, this swap will only work if you have 18in wheels or larger..they will not work with the 17in wheels and barely fit behind the stock 18in wheels (I mean barely). It is an easy upgrade to do and everything should just swap over.

OP
OP

bexleycorona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Although the S197 made it easy to upgrade the base brakes to GT size by simply bolting on the GT calipers and rotors, I have no idea if the same thing works on the S550, and it would be naive to assume that it does without researching it.

As far as how much life is left in the parts you bought, that is impossible to tell from a pic. A brake rotors life is measured in thousandths of an inch, it needs to be measured with a dial caliper to determine if it is still within service life. However, just looking at your pics one rotor appears to be worn considerably thinner than the other, maybe it's just a difference in the angle they are visible at, but before trying to use them you should make sure that both rotors are within tolerance for thickness and runout and that both are FRONT rotors as the thinner one might be from the rear brakes and accidentally mixed up in the parts the seller salvaged.

Just my opinion, rotors and pads are normal wear items and are not something to take the chance on buying used. Brakes are too important to risk on saving a few dollars on with used wear items. Used low mileage calipers are fine for doing the upgrade to bigger GT brakes, but if it were me I'd just buy new rotors and pads to go with the GT calipers. You may not have much choice in the matter either way, because I think you'll have a hard time finding a shop that will install used brake parts for you. It's a liability thing for them, they won't take the risk on unknown wear items, and certainly won't offer any kind of warranty on the work.
You're right, I should have done my research.

I did this upgrade. I do recommend getting the back shields. Your pictures do not tell the whole story in regards to determining how much life is left in the pads or rotors...let alone if the pads were wearing evenly. Also, this swap will only work if you have 18in wheels or larger..they will not work with the 17in wheels and barely fit behind the stock 18in wheels (I mean barely). It is an easy upgrade to do and everything should just swap over.
I have a set of 18" and 19" wheels for my car. I'll figure out how I'm going to work that out. Worst case I have to buy new brake pads and rotors.

Thank you for your input guys!

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Are these base GT brakes or GT PP brakes? For some reason I thought the base Gt brakes would be same as the base Ecoboost and V6 brakes but haven't researched it enough

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
3 different brake setups

1- Base EB and v/6
2- Base GT and EB PP
3- GT PP (brembo)

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
I upgraded both the front and rear to the base GT. Very easy swap with noticeable Improvement.
The rears just offer the benefit of venting but when I was shopping could be had for almost nothing.
The fronts open up the door for improved rotors or pads aftermarket.
I recently had to make a panic stop the car stops so quick I thought the guy behind me was going to rearend me. He had to Veer left in to the break lane GTI. It was a 60 to 0 stop on a curve somewhere around Albany.

Sponsored

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
Yes you got everything you need to swap if those rotors are the same. There are lots of life left on those pads so no worries there. You will love the extra braking power these provide. It shouldn't be more than 2 hours of labor (~$200) to have them installed and the brakes bled. I did mine myself and it was a breeze.

OP
OP

bexleycorona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are these base GT brakes or GT PP brakes? For some reason I thought the base Gt brakes would be same as the base Ecoboost and V6 brakes but haven't researched it enough
I believe Base V6 and Base EcoBoost are the same brakes (2 piston).

Ecoboost Premium Package and Base GT are the same (4 piston).

GT Premium Package is Brembos (6 piston).

I thought the rear brakes on the Base GT and Base V6 were the same?

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
I thought the rear brakes on the Base GT and Base V6 were the same?[/QUOTE said:
Rears on the GT are vented rotors . Still a single piston caliper but the housing is larger to support the wider vented rotors

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Just ran into my first problem with my GT brakes...I have both front and rear stock GT calipers, DBA 4000 T3 rotors, and stock pads. I was cut off on the highway and slammed on the brakes and instantly got a warning that my brake fluid level was low, even though the car recorded my max deceleration at 1.1G. My question is, what's going on? Am I actually low on brake fluid or do the increased caliper size require more fluid? The car still stops incredibly well...

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
Check the fluid level at the master cylinder. If low look for a leak. The master cylinder is compatible with the GT calipers.
Sponsored