Leather Seat Repair

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
Accidentally got a little bit of thinner on my car seat leather the other day. Lightly dabbed at it when I discovered it but it was too late. Did a search of the forum and didn't find much. Here is my question:

What is a good product to repair this? I am pretty sure it only took out the black dye. I really know nothing about leather repair so any help is appreciated! And yes I know I messed up big time, trust me I'm upset with myself :doh:

picture.jpg
Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
havent tried it but just a thought, black shoe polish

OP
OP
furiousfuria

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
havent tried it but just a thought, black shoe polish
That was the first thing I thought of actually haha. But won't that just rub off eventually?

OP
OP
furiousfuria

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
After some research, no you should not use shoe polish on leather car seats haha. Apparently leather dye is what I need it looks like

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
Much better than ripped leather.
Leather dye will work but you may have to treat the whole bolster to avoid a blatant dark spot. You can use a Q-tip and dab it on the affected area and then allow it to dry. Keep applying and drying until it matches. Finish by wiping the whole seat with leather protector.
Every large furniture store usually has one person who they send out to fix leather damage.
If you are not confident in your abilities then call a furniture store.
Good luck.

Sponsored

Paul K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP Recaro
I had a similar misshap on my leather recaros. A liquid spilled out of something that I had laying on the seat. The liquid had some bleach in it and left a white spot where it was laying on the leather.
I cleaned the spot thoroughly whatever I had nearby, which happened to be windex, and then followed up with leather cleaner.
I thought I was going to have to use dye to repair the area, but to my surprise, after a few days, the spot vanished.
I am guessing that after a while, the dye in the surrounding areas of the leather gradually infused into the area.
So, I would wait a few days before attempting to dye the area.

OP
OP
furiousfuria

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Much better than ripped leather.
Leather dye will work but you may have to treat the whole bolster to avoid a blatant dark spot. You can use a Q-tip and dab it on the affected area and then allow it to dry. Keep applying and drying until it matches. Finish by wiping the whole seat with leather protector.
Every large furniture store usually has one person who they send out to fix leather damage.
If you are not confident in your abilities then call a furniture store.
Good luck.
This is probably what I am will be attempting, just use a q-tip and try to just make it has normal looking as possible. A little darker is better than it just being a white area

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Contact this company - they come highly recommended on MANY automotive forums and their products work 100%. I used their product in my prior 1995 BMW M3 on the Dove Gray Vader seats... Perfect match and really easy products to work with as well.

http://www.leatherique.com

Being that you have pretty much a standard black leather, it would be easier for you to fix using their products than say someone like me who has the Ceramic leather (where color differences may be more noticeable).

Give them a shot.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's not really leather in that area. More like vinyl.
Sponsored