Sponsored

17 Stang GT w/PP vs. 16 base Focus

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
My Mustang came with a defective window (trim) on the rear driver's side. I figured it'd be a quick strip and replacement of the trim but they need to completely replace the window. Worst customer service I've ever dealt with!! Took them 2 months to do/arrange the repair and that was after 3 different sets of pictures on three occasions at the dealership, a dozen phone calls, and the wrong part(s) being sent. I'd love to know regionally who to talk to because this is far from what I expected from Ford!

Anyway, as a loaner they gave me a base Focus. It got me to work so I'm happy. But to compare the experience of driving this compared to my Mustang...night and day, which makes sense.

However, what I'd like to share, for anyone that's never driven one, is the platform differences I notice. This is especially for those considering an ST/RS. And I invite anyone who's driven/owned an ST/RS to chime in and share differences. While performance will be different, between trims/models, I'll try to share what I think would be similar.

First off is looks. I think the Mustang is such a beautiful car. Curves, lines, and an overall design that is both functional and great to stare at. The Focus looks pretty efficiently designed but nothing stands out about it to me. However, this could be a major plus to ST/RS owners going for a sleeper approach even with different wheels and spoiler.

Build quality seems different but not necessarily horrible when considering the price points. Except for the doors. In the Focus they feel hollow and like I'm getting in and out of a toy. To me, this is specific to the Focus, because I also own 2 Subaru 4-doors and they aren't remotely this light and hollow-feeling.

Ride/driving experience. If I drove the Focus for any more than a day or two I'd absolutely stick some padding by my right knee area. Econo-line base model, I get it, but something I love about my Mustang is that they padded the trim around the info-tainment console so I can rest my leg against it and be totally comfortable. Seats in the Mustang are significantly more comfortable as well. But in the Focus, the stiffer, more compact seats do go well with the design of the car. Definitely purpose-built for efficiency rather than adding to any enjoyment in my opinion.

I will say I absolutely hate the engine in the Focus! Compared to the Mustang, the EcoBoost shuts off at the wrong times. Waiting to turn at a light for example. And even though it comes on pretty quick, I don't have confidence that if I needed to maneuver quickly it'd be as responsive as a normal engine. Also, when driving the shifting (Focus is an automatic) seems squirrely. It vibrates and seems to rev either higher or lower than it should which screws up acceleration and the ability to drive as well in traffic. When I'm driving the Mustang, even at low speeds and low rpm's it's completely smooth. No hitches, disproportionate revs, varying performance...it's consistent and on par with every other can I've driven when talking about normal/low speed driving.

The sport shifting in the Focus is kinda laughable. No, not kinda. I actually laughed this morning when I tried it. It is only marginally different than the normal driving mode. The Focus shifted at what I thought were higher rpm's when going heavy on the throttle. About 500-1000 before redline. But in sport mode it still automatically shifts right around 250 before redline. So even if you screw up and put it in sport mode you're still getting similar shifting. And when I tried driving a little more spirited it still had crappy/slow shifting so I'm not sure what the advantage/appeal is. Maybe the illusion of control?

Braking I can't really compare. But for an econo-line car, the Focus brakes just fine. I will say I think the front rotors in the Base Focus are proportionately larger than in the non-PP Mustang. I found that interesting.

Even though my Mustang is a base model interior-wise I do prefer the layout of the buttons/knobs to the Focus. The Focus actually has pretty much the identical bells and whistles, which makes sense. But Ford basically shrunk everything to make it fit which makes it more difficult to operate. Radio knobs in the Focus look/feel more like chubby nipples than the Mustang's dials. Since the controls are on the steering wheel, it's not a big deal. Climate was more of a pain to get used to. Again, shrunk down and needed more attention to operate.

Steering wheel in the Focus is something else that feels toy-like. Small and more similar to a go-kart. The feel is another area that cost-cutting really bleeds through...just like the knee area. It's not comfortable and harder than the Mustang.

Visability in the Focus is slightly better but due to how high the seat and rear end are, it's not as great as it could be.

Those are just some of the things I noticed and thought to compare.

I'm really glad I got the chance to drive the Focus platform because, in the future, I was considering looking at an ST or, more likely, an RS. But to be honest, I'd really prefer the look, interior and overall experience with Subaru platforms instead. But obviously, if/when I get to that point I'd still test the Fords.

I cannot wait to pick up my Mustang after work today!! And with the way this dealer has performed I hope I'm not jinxing myself by getting my hopes up.

-Emt1581
Sponsored