Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT premium pp fully loaded vs. Challenger 392 Scat Pack Shaker

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
The changes for '18 might make a big difference, but...

I had a '16 GT PP which I really liked a lot. Once I drove a Scat Pack it was over very quickly and I ended up with a '16 Scat Pack Shaker with a manual trans. Yeah, it's relatively heavy, but it feels way faster. There's torque everywhere in the RPM range and it revs very freely. It makes for a very fun car on the street.

I'm a child of the 60s/70s muscle car era. I like the Challenger retro styling a lot, but I like the S550 styling a lot too. I find the Scat pack Shaker much more aggressive styling wise and it screams "MUSCLE CAR" to me. The Mustang is more modern and refined looking IMO. I won't compare features - my GT only had the PP and reverse sensing, the Challenger is loaded, including a sunroof.

Handling wise on the street I don't miss the Mustang at all. The car feels heavier, but I can go every bit as much above the speed limit as I could in my Mustang. Back road blasts are a lot of fun either way, but torque on demand FTW.

I didn't buy a Dodge without going over it with a fine toothed comb. Fit and finish is better than my Mustang was.

Making the change cost some money, but I'm completely happy with the choice.
Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
This is a GREAT problem to have. Either car will be endless fun. Either one is worth every penny.

I think the previous comments have covered it...but until we learn more about what Ford has in store for the revised 2018 motor, comparing acceleration performance isn't really possible. What we can say is that a a Scatpack will easily walk a 2015-2017 Mustang GT...so there is a lot of catching up to do.

Guys comparing the power:weight numbers need to keep in mind that the 392 puts our 485 lb-ft of torque. Even a brightened up Coyote won't touch that.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
You never know whats under the hood of each car. No one leaves these cars stock, so comparing stock to stock is basically useless. Yeah the scat pack is faster but you pull up on a coyote its more then likely to have a tune headers and an intake. All the sudden you gotta race. The point being mustang guys mod right away challenger guys mod a little later!

Last edited:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
You never know whats under the hood of each car. No one leaves these cars stock, so comparing stock to stock is basically useless. Yeah the scat pack is faster but you pull up on a coyote its more then likely to have a tune headers and an intake. All the sudden you gotta race. The point being mustang guys mod right away challenger guys mod a little later!
From initial purchase purposes it's useless to compare modded vehicles.

Stock vs stock is the only valid metric.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
From initial purchase purposes it's useless to compare modded vehicles.

Stock vs stock is the only valid metric.
This thread is about comparing stock to stock or whats on paper. On the street and at the track it's mod to mod! So many times my little 302 surpises them push rod behemoths... and it always leaves them bewildered wondering what i really got. The answer is simple, more then they got. The proof is in the pudding!

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
This thread is about comparing stock to stock or whats on paper. On the street and at the track it's mod to mod! So many times my little 302 surpises them push rod behemoths... and it always leaves them bewildered wondering what i really got. The answer is simple, more then they got. The proof is in the pudding!
Amen.:cheers:

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
This thread isn't about racing either cars. He's looking for opinions because he is going to buy one of them... mods aren't part of his question, neither was racing.

To be honest there really isn't many mods for the 392. Far smaller aftermarket than the Mustang.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest there really isn't many mods for the 392. Far smaller aftermarket than the Mustang.

This should be a major factor in his decision. if your just gonna drive these cars in a civil manner with 485 hp and 14 mpg you might as well be comparing a nissan leaf to toyota prius. We buy these cars to use their performance capabilities! So racing, and modding all factor into to the decision to buy 1 of these 2 cars!

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
You guys really don't want to go down the modded vs modded path because then you'd have to consider all kinds of crazy junk that would devastate either one of these cars for the money.

If modded/fastest was the only criteria, we'd all be driving 4th Gen, built LSx Camaros. A $40k budget would probably get you into the 9s.

What can be done with a car later on is a valid consideration, IMO (and yes, the Coyote sure beats the 392 in this measure)...but it quickly becomes bull crap bench racing in threads like this.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You guys really don't want to go down the modded vs modded path because then you'd have to consider all kinds of crazy junk that would devastate either one of these cars for the money.

If modded/fastest was the only criteria, we'd all be driving 4th Gen, built LSx Camaros. A $40k budget would probably get you into the 9s.

What can be done with a car later on is a valid consideration, IMO (and yes, the Coyote sure beats the 392 in this measure)...but it quickly becomes bull crap bench racing in threads like this.
Actually a Fox Mustang with mods will be cheaper and faster than a 4th Gen Camaro. And it will look a lot better as well. :D

Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Actually a Fox Mustang with mods will be cheaper and faster than a 4th Gen Camaro. And it will look a lot better as well. :D

You're going to have to prove this one.

With stock motor mind you!

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I don't think anything compares to the Mustang aftermarket, but there are plenty of mods for the 392. All it takes to get comfortably into the 11s is drag radials.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
I don't think anything compares to the Mustang aftermarket, but there are plenty of mods for the 392. All it takes to get comfortably into the 11s is drag radials.
Show me

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
You're going to have to prove this one.

With stock motor mind you!
This is well known. You must not have owned many fast cars. H/C/I foxes will smoke a lot of modern cars.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost