Sponsored

Gt 5.0 vs 2017 Camaro 1LE

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
I remember watching the Lighting lap videos and the 2017 Camaro 1LE posting a 3:04 lap time. That's when people starting dogging how it best the GT with PP in 2015 with a 3:05 lap time. What people fail to realize is that this wasn't an accurate test since they were one year apart and with probably different drivers.

With comparisons of how fast the V6 model is, how it's close to the a Mustang GT, yada, yada, yada.. in the real world, it can't hold a candle to a Mustang GT.

I don't hate the Camaro (competition is good for the consumers) but it's pretty damn sad how some folks compare a 335 HP/ 284 lb-torque to a Mustang GT. Since there are no real life vids, magazine tests have shown a best of 13.7 1/4 run and that barely outruns an auto EB. Also, to pay 33k for the V61LE, that is ludicrous when a base GT is 33k!

Car & Driver reporting what I was thinking the whole time.. The Camaro V-6 1LE needs more power!
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-chevrolet-camaro-v-6-1le-first-drive-review
Sponsored

MatthewAMEL

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE
They do make a 1LE with more power...it's the SS 1LE.

The V6 1LE > GTPP

The SS 1LE > GT350

The ZL1 > GT350R

I would happily expect all this to change when Ford does the 2PP.

Pushing the competition is good for everyone!

https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

OP
OP

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!

The V6 1LE > GTPP

The SS 1LE > GT350

The ZL1 > GT350R

Are you speaking in terms of the track only? There's NO WAY I would ever choose a V6 1LE over a GT PP. I also think in terms of overall performance, only the 1SS with a few options is the best bang for your buck from GM.

It's the lightest and probably the fastest on the 1/4. Add on suspension mods with tires and it'll be right behind the 1LE. But if you are a hardcore tracker, the SS 1LE is a worth it..

Plus the test was with the V6 1LE and GT PP was one year apart. The V6 is closer to 14 secs than 13 secs.. it's pretty close to a EB PP. Doesn't really impressed thus the article.

MatthewAMEL

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE
Are you speaking in terms of the track only? There's NO WAY I would ever choose a V6 1LE over a GT PP. I also think in terms of overall performance, only the 1SS with a few options is the best bang for your buck from GM.

It's the lightest and probably the fastest on the 1/4. Add on suspension mods with tires and it'll be right behind the 1LE. But if you are a hardcore tracker, the SS 1LE is a worth it..

Plus the test was with the V6 1LE and GT PP was one year apart. The V6 is closer to 14 secs than 13 secs.. it's pretty close to a EB PP. Doesn't really impressed thus the article.
I hear what you are saying. And yes, I was using track times as the primary comparison.

The V6 1LE gets eaten by ANY Coyote in a stop light race.

More than just track, though...AutoX results will resemble the track times.

The age of the test is irrelevant. It's a Gen to Gen comparison.

Value is subjective. I shopped pretty hard for a GT350R for almost a year. Had multiple dealers renege on prices when they got higher offers. Got a SS 1LE for $2.5k under MSRP.

Right now, the SS 1LE is the best 'bang for buck' you can get. Faster than every S550 but the R on the street and only 3 sec behind the R at VIR. It's also $20k cheaper than an R (if you can get one at sticker - HA) and $10k cheaper than a GT350.

Parts are cheaper since it borrows a ton of running gear from the C7 Z06 (rotors, calipers, pads).

I'm excited to go up against the two GT350's and one BOSS 302 LS in my region.

I'll post the video from my PDR of their defeat. :D

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Or yours?......

Sponsored

MatthewAMEL

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE
Or yours?......
Of course. Video gets posted no matter what!

Sebring on January 7th-8th is the next event.

Maybe the Mustang guys could post video from the same run so we can get a multiple view perspective of the whole thing.

The 'stang has built-in video, right?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
No built in videos for us. Keep the shiny side up.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP

The V6 1LE > GTPP

The SS 1LE > GT350

The ZL1 > GT350R

There is no way a v6 1le is faster than a gtpp around a track, unless its a short second gear autocross in a walmart parking lot! It will be faster than the v8 1le as well!

The V8 1le is also not faster than a gt350R! It maybe as fast as the regular gt350 around some tracks but gt350 is faster in a straightline! I don't know where you come up with this!

Last edited:

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
There is no way a v6 1le is faster than a gtpp around a track, unless its a short second gear autocross in a walmart parking lot! It will be faster than the v8 1le as well!

The V8 1le is also not faster than a gt350R! It maybe as fast as the regular gt350 around some tracks but gt350 is faster in a straightline! I don't know where you come up with this!
he is a Garbage Motor guy,thats why he says things like that.there has not been a test of a 1le CRAPMARO vs a GT350 done yet.:lol:

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS

I believe he said only the ZL1 was faster than the R.

Sponsored

MatthewAMEL

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE

Reality sucks...

Here you go...

VIR results: (ZL1 excluded, since it was only tested at the 'ring so far)

GT350R - 2:51.8
SS 1LE - 2:54.8
V6 1LE - 3:04
GTPP - 3:05

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...results-historical-lap-times-and-more-feature

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...results-historical-lap-times-and-more-feature

So, yes...the V6 1LE is faster than a GTPP around the track.

And I never claimed the SS 1LE was faster than the 350R. I said exactly the opposite.

I paid $45k for my SS 1LE. A 350R would have been $75K min. $10k/sec worth it to you?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Reality sucks...

Here you go...

VIR results: (ZL1 excluded, since it was only tested at the 'ring so far)

GT350R - 2:51.8
SS 1LE - 2:54.8
V6 1LE - 3:04
GTPP - 3:05

So, yes...the V6 1LE is faster than a GTPP around the track.

And I never claimed the SS 1LE was faster than the 350R. I said exactly the opposite.

I paid $45k for my SS 1LE. A 350R would have been $75K min. $10k/sec worth it to you?
Different drivers...different YEARS.

Given the same drivers on the same day...who knows. Given similar tire compounds, the GTPP is going to run away. People don't seem to realize exactly what a tire does for track performance.

But...but...but those are the tires that come stock you say? I really don't give a flying f#%@. The first item that get's replaced before a track day are tires. These are consumables. Its of my opinion...for any of these garbage track comparisons that are put out, equal tires and brake pads should be equipped and the vehicles need to be run with the same drivers with same conditions. If the temperature varies by more than 5 degrees from car A to car B, your test is invalid. If car A runs in the early morning and B in the afternoon...invalid.

Until the above mentioned happens, all of these magazine numbers are just for funzies. The can give you and idea of the vehicles capabilities, but they really can't tell you what is going to happen at the track.

Don't be surprised if your car get's lapped by one that was considered inferior when the owner decides to put a better compound tire and pads on.
Sponsored