Sponsored

Focus RS test drive by a Mustang and former RS owner

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
IMO VWs are overpriced for what you get. Motor Trend said the Golf R was boring compared to the RS.

And I'm surprised you think the Golf looks better than the RS. To me the Golf is really bland looking and it's hard to differentiate between the different models.
Not going to persuade you, but they're interiors are in a completely different league and they're capable of RS beating straight line performance and rs and sti matching handling stats as well. They'll get 30+ mpgs also. What it loses out on is oversteer and fun to drive drive subjective stuff.

They're also much larger inside and much easier to live with daily. Throw the rs awd in the r and I'd buy one tomorrow.
Sponsored

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Not going to persuade you, but they're interiors are in a completely different league and they're capable of RS beating straight line performance and rs and sti matching handling stats as well. They'll get 30+ mpgs also. What it loses out on is oversteer and fun to drive drive subjective stuff.
RS is faster. There's some videos already on it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

They're also much larger inside and much easier to live with daily. Throw the rs awd in the r and I'd buy one tomorrow.
I haven't seen the interiors, just the exterior. I 100% believe you that the VW has a better looking interior. However, I don't typically care much about interior perception of quality.

Or I should say I rank my preferences:
1. Performance per price
2. Exterior appearance
Not sure where I would rank interior appearance, but definitely down the list.

Sponsored

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
Yeah but then you have an automatic and what's the point of driving? Might as well be playing Mario kart.
Or knitting a shawl!

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited

TM82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I test drove a 2016 RS before I decided to get back into a mustang. I was thinking "Eh, this will be a pretty fun car to drive" after I found myself picturing myself to be Ken Block! It was a thrill to drive but at the end of the day it was just lacking the torque I desire. At the end of the day they just can't hold much more than 600 horse w/out massive money dumped into them. Cool car and I think they will be a collector car but for a niche group.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I was deciding between a Mustang GT, a Focus RS, or a Camaro SS before picking the GT. Loved the concept of the Focus and it was really quick for a 4-cylinder car but...that car is small as HELL. Those Recaros feel like you're being squeezed in a fist and there's not enough room to adjust the seat to the right position. That plus a set of golf clubs will NOT fit in the back. In the end the seat comfort, performance and sound of the GT and the fact that you can actually see out of it, unlike the Camaro, were the final straw. Although I'm probably a little biased...having owned '97, '99 and 2003 Cobras LOL.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
ocus RS feels faster than a Mustang GT?? Not sure about that one
You are correct. Handed a RS its ass tonight. From a roll & from a dig. He got the jump (being AWD) but at the top of first it was all over for him. Both his and mine are modded.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I was deciding between a Mustang GT, a Focus RS, or a Camaro SS before picking the GT. Loved the concept of the Focus and it was really quick for a 4-cylinder car but...that car is small as HELL. Those Recaros feel like you're being squeezed in a fist and there's not enough room to adjust the seat to the right position. That plus a set of golf clubs will NOT fit in the back. In the end the seat comfort, performance and sound of the GT and the fact that you can actually see out of it, unlike the Camaro, were the final straw. Although I'm probably a little biased...having owned '97, '99 and 2003 Cobras LOL.
For what it is, the Focus is reasonably sized, The Recaros are snug but comfortable (6"2" 200#) and I drive long distances at times with no problems - but they are bit more snug than the Recaros in my PP2, but the RS Recaros are adjustable. If you put the back seat down, golf clubs will fit through the opening, but the rear storage area is smallish - great for Costco, but not Lowe's.

You don't get the V8 rumble obviously, but the 2.3 four has a sound reminiscent of Alfas, MGs and other classic 4 pot sports cars, but with a lot more power and practicality.

As for 2003 Cobras - had two - the worst torture chamber ergonomics of any cars I ever had.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
You are correct. Handed a RS its ass tonight. From a roll & from a dig. He got the jump (being AWD) but at the top of first it was all over for him. Both his and mine are modded.
If it was wet he probably would have eaten you for lunch.