Sponsored

Taillights with Sequential Amber and 3-bars Brake MOD!

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
IMPORTANT: If you don't see the images, try installing this chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...ed-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj?hl=it
It's a temporary solution until I have time to upload pictures to some other hosting site. Thank you!

Since I decided to do the front tribar led mod, I thought that I can save on time and costs to do both front and rear mods, since also for taillights there is a great mod!

INDEX
1. Preparation (below in this post)
2. Installation (part 1) (part 2)
3. Videos (night) (daylight)

WHAT'S THIS?
It's basically a replica of US taillights, so the three bars will light in sequence from inner to outer bars, to show that you are turning, but with amber leds instead of red (trying to be legal :D )
Also it enables brake lights on all three bars instead of only on the two inner ones.

PLEASE NOTE that I already installed red vinyl on my taillights, otherwise they are clear, not red :) (thread on vinyl installation HERE)

1. PREPARATION

I started with setting my usual workplaces with lights

As always, I described all the process in a separate thread, easier to find when searching the forum

>>> How-To: Remove taillights <<<

So I ended this way

:eyebulge:

But finally have all my lights out, and in a few days I should get them ready and begin to reinstall! Yeah! :headbang:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Love the laundry line :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
:lol: I have monopolized the garage for two weeks now, mom had to use it anyways :D

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium

Sponsored

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)

UNtamed67

Silver Shadow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple...
Vehicle Showcase
Looking forward to the next chapter of your adventure !

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
I was hoping to receive today the package but tracking now reports "NĂĽrnberg (DE)" :(

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Here I am guys!
It's late but as promised, today I have installed taillights and have many pictures of installation!

SEQUENTIAL IS WONDERFUL!!
When first sequential turn light showed in my car, a small tear comes from my eyes.. :hail:
And.. Ford: :rant:

However, on topic!

2. INSTALLATION (part 1)

Finally yesterday my lights were ready!!

Both taillights has signs of cutting and resealing all around. Sealing seems well done and the housing shows no sign of wobbling or something similar. If you don't look at the reseal glue, you can't say that it is modded in any way.

Some new wires coming from the housing; they are needed for the new added functions

You can see here the new wires

The new ECU that does the magic (converting single signal to sequential)

Relay with socket and some spare wires (resistors are for headlights, so not used for this install)

Here is my installation diagram: please pardon me for the quality of drawings but doing it by hand is the fastest way - (Edit: HERE you can find a digital version made by [MENTION=12964]Stark[/MENTION] - Thank you!)

To better understand, think at this mod as three separate jobs:
1) give power the new ECU that manages the sequential function;
2) carry power and re-route brake signal to the relay because brake signal is too weak to power the new led arrays - and then route power to the existing brake lights wires;
3) install a switch to have the ability to revert back to stock single bar turn light, useful for annual inspection.

I wanted to do an installation that, if needed, can be completely removed.

I start by removing the taillight wires connector (car-side) from its support. It's a very hard clip, if you can snip with a screwdriver it's easy but for left side you haven't space so.. just pull up hard!

Don't forget to cut and isolate the loop wire to enable sequential when braking

To reinstall tailights, I covered the ECU with bubble wrap to avoid it rattling inside the bumper, and then push it in the hole just beneath the bumper

Just insert all cables in the hole and then push the rubber seal

In order to have more room to work easily, I removed the fabric tape that helds the wire harness here (right side)

Then I removed more tape to reveal the wires. I did this because here you can find all the wires that go to the left taillights; you can connect here to the violet wire instead of carrying a cable from left to right. Also, you can find here many ground wires, needed for the relay.

Violet w\black stripe (brake signal) going to the left taillight

Ground (black w\blue stripe)

This is the point all the rear ground wires come from

I then prepared an extension for +12v and 'switch' wires from left taillight to the right side

I used crimp terminals to connect the brake signal wires; If one day I need to revert back to stock, I ony need to crimp a male terminal to the existing violet w\black wire coming from car.

With a quick splice connector I got Ground from black w\blue stripe wire

Connected a violet wire with male terminal connector that will go (together with the one coming from right side) to the 'blue' side of the relay

(to be continued..)

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
(continued)

2. INSTALLATION (part 2)

I need a power source for the relay and a perfect point is the subwoofer wire harness. But instead of cutting and splicing near the connector, I find an easier source behind the cover: here you can find where the subwoofer wires come from. There is a connector that can be snapped off so you can work on it very easily.

Grey w\black stipe is the +12v I need; since there is space in the back of the connector, I simply push in it my red wire and then fix it firmly with zip ties

Installed back :)

Next step is cut the right side brake signal wire, redirect the end side to the relay out and the car-side to the relay in.

Oops I isolated the car-side violet wire forgetting that I need it to give signal to the relay :doh:

Now is correct (white wire is connected to the violet brake wire car-side)

I found this switch in my various stuff drawer and it was perfect for the 'return to stock' switch, so I connected two red and brown wires to it

Some autoagglomerating tape and a label, and it's ready!

All connected for the first test

IT WORKS!!
Then I disconnected again all wires to pass in right places and cut at the right length. Zip ties all the way!

Don't forget to thighten the 11mm bolts!

All connected again..

..and ziptied! Now this is how it should looks like :)

Installed back covers and subwoofer

Switch is in spare wheel pit

Since I was alone at home, I haven't recorded any video.. but tomorrow will be the first thing I'll do!

Good night! :cheers:

Last edited:

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Nice work man, lookimg forward to the end result!

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Speechless !

But I thought it was plug n play job. Now I really hesitate to do all this wiring by myself.

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a quick question. Apart from the fact that caniggia cut and sealed the back cover, I noticed that the tailights are completely sealed at the back side.
So, Ford assumes that there is no need to replace the leds?
What if it needs repair for any reason?

So the tailights are a completely "black box" ?
Sponsored