Stock GT Exhaust on V6 Mustang

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
Surprised to hear of the rasp with the H-pipe. That is my set up with zero rasp or drone. I wonder if where the crossover is located makes a difference. I have seen some with it located more front or rear. I got the MRT from CJP and it is located about as forward as it gets.

Also curious how a resonator delete with divorced pipes would sound. I read somewhere that our engines are balanced and do not need a crossover. Can't say I know much about that.
Sponsored

hasimp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 - Oxford White w/ Blue Stripes
X0AYHAM0X made videos of x-pipe and h-pipe, see the first post.
Yes I know, I watched the videos already. i was just hoping to find some more examples than just those two. I didn't really have any luck finding more on YouTube.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question: If the Stock GT Exhaust can be put on a v6. Couldn't I put a corsa gt cat back on my v6 mustang as well?
There's some videos of the Corsa Xtreme on a V6 on youtube and I think it sounds pretty awesome. I bet the Sport sounds great too.

SirLoin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Convertible
I have to agree with you on this. I installed mine this evening. I've heard how it sounds on several vids, and the before and after seemed to be the same or very close to me. But I didn't go directly from stock to GT on my car. I had a muffler delete with the DC Sport resonating tips on my car. It's quieter at idle but sounds better accelerating through the gears. I remember the stock always sounded tinny to me, but this sounds much deeper. I'm all smiles and would recommend this swap to anyone! Oh yes PM me if you want some tips.
Why did you decide to go with the stock GT over the DC Sport set up? I'm trying to decide between the two. In the sound clips, I think the resonated tips sound better than anything else, including Borla, and supposedly have no drone. On the other hand, I'm thinking they might be too loud for a convertible.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]a_YPVzF-sLs[/MEDIA]"]

Sponsored

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Why did you decide to go with the stock GT over the DC Sport set up? I'm trying to decide between the two. In the sound clips, I think the resonated tips sound better than anything else, including Borla, and supposedly have no drone. On the other hand, I'm thinking they might be too loud for a convertible.

The car in the video is Zacks car right. That is the best sounding 3.7 liter exhaust video I've ever heard. I put the same muffler delete, DC Sport resonator setup on my car and it sounded good, better than the GT setup. Now you hear a lot about drone but you don't see any solid definitions. Now I'm pretty tolerant about most things people find annoying about about cars, NVH and stuff. But it had a very loud high frequency buzzing noise inside the car that I could hardly wait to get it off. This job was done by a supposedly good muffler shop locally but they did an extremely shoddy job! Bad welding, didn't deburr the pipe after hacking it up with the chop saw, ETC. But hey they were cheap! Now my car is leased so the dealer made notes about the now clamped mufflers needed welded when I had the oil changed. So the GT option came along, cheap, sounds better, I even picked up two MPGs. Even the guy at the dealership who changed my oil asked me about the exhaust cause it sounded a lot better but he couldn't see anything but stock stuff. If I was keeping the car I would have spent some time trying to get the DC Sport stuff to work because it does work well and I've never seen anyone else having the same problem I had.:headbonk:

Aeroslash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6, Guard Green
Hey, long time lurker, first time poster.

I have managed to get a Craigslist seller to deliver the cat backs and resonator from a GT to me for $150. Pretty happy with that seeing as he is 80 miles away!

Excited to get the cat backs installed. My question - is there any value to installing the GT resonator? Or is it even a direct fit? He's including it in the sale but if its of no value I'll just tell him to keep it.

Great forum by the way! I'll have plenty more questions coming in the next few days!

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Catback includes the resonator, it is one piece all welded together unless the guy cut it up. It bolts right on and you'll use your stock clamps.

As for keeping the resonator, that is up to you. Personally I prefer x-pipe/h-pipe instead of the resonator but that depends on personal preference.

Aeroslash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

tom_hd02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
GT exhaust

Aeroslash,
The GT mufflers have 2.5" pipes (V6 piping is 2.25"). When I bought my GT exhaust, I got everything from the resonator to the tailpipes. In my opinion, it would be more cost-effective to buy the entire exhaust system from a GT instead of buying that resonator + mufflers because you will have to do some welding.
See this link for a picture. Although this ad is not in your area, this will give you an idea of the price.
https://hartford.craigslist.org/pts/d/2016-mustang-gt-catback/6207842090.html

You should be able to find the hole thing for less than what the seller is asking. My 0.02 cents.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Aeroslash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aeroslash,
The GT mufflers have 2.5" pipes (V6 piping is 2.25"). When I bought my GT exhaust, I got everything from the resonator to the tailpipes. In my opinion, it would be more cost-effective to buy the entire exhaust system from a GT instead of buying that resonator + mufflers because you will have to do some welding.
See this link for a picture. Although this ad is not in your area, this will give you an idea of the price.
https://hartford.craigslist.org/pts/d/2016-mustang-gt-catback/6207842090.html

You should be able to find the hole thing for less than what the seller is asking. My 0.02 cents.
Thanks Tom, that image is helpful. So what are most guys on here doing? Installing the GT setup from the Resonator thru mufflers or just installing the GT mufflers?
Didn't realise it was all one piece, but now I can see the cuts in the CL images.
Can I just have my Muffler shop install the mufflers, minimize the labor/cost and get the desired effect?
Or is the GT resonator also important to install?

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
^Agreed. There are lots of GT owners who replace their entire stock setup and don't want a whole lot for the stock setup. With the setup shown in that ad, you will have to have pipes welded, which will drive the price up.

My opinion is to wait for a full exhaust to show up on craigslist, or hop on your local chapters thread and ask if anyone has a stock GT exhaust getting in their way.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
To me it is not worth the asking price, try to get it for less. If you must I would just take the mufflers and buy a x-pipe/h-pipe.

Or look for another as people said.

Aeroslash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To me it is not worth the asking price, try to get it for less. If you must I would just take the mufflers and buy a x-pipe/h-pipe.
Thanks. Yeah, problem is I have the guy delivering to me today. Don't want to waste his time all because I didn't do my due dilligence. Guess i'll just have to eat this one.
Damn, the one piece resonator thru muffler would look so much cleaner. :frusty:

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
If that is the case I'd go to a muffler shop and see what kind of custom piping they can do for you using the mufflers. Or just install the mufflers and see what how it turns out.
Sponsored