Sponsored

Wax on Wax off......or do it like the pros????

Pmauoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic
Question, do you really need a polisher to get the best results?? I assume it depends on the car your working on, in my case, it's a 16 ecoboost...

Also, if so, what's the best option for a newbie and something you can possibly grow into without breaking the bank...;)
Sponsored

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Depends upon what you are trying to do - if its just to apply wax then probably not. If you are going to do some paint correction then yes. I am a fan of Adam's Polishes and use a Dewalt DW849 polisher - can be had for $180ish online. Then you need the pads, polishes etc....can be a deep hole but the results can be fabulous.

OP
OP
Pmauoo

Pmauoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks vernonator...at this time I don't think I have any corrections to take care of. Maybe some swirls and minor swirls, scratch marks in the paint. Does that signify corrections are needed?

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
if you want to get rid of them, yes. I honestly am a big fan of the harbor freight DA polisher. i've used it for 3-4 years now I believe and have had zero issues with it and it does a great job. If you use a regular 20% off coupon for it you can pick it up less than 50 bucks, assuming you have a HF near you. For polishing i'm a big fan of Meguiars microfiber system using their MF cutting disks with their D300 compound/polish. It finishes out really nice and does a great job getting rid of defects. I usually follow up with a sealant and wax like Klasse Sealant Glaze and whatever wax you like.

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Talk to the experts here if you need some help - http://www.esotericcarcare.com/

Really awesome guys over there who can help recommend specific products for exactly what you need and probably some products you haven't though of before.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pmauoo

Pmauoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so, with all the reviews I have watched and all the feedback I have been provided here on this forum, these are my options:
Harbor freight Da-$69.99 and a 20% of coupon.
CG Torq-$129.00
GRIOTS-$149.00
PC7424-$114.00

Anyone know of any good 4th of July Sales???

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ok, so, with all the reviews I have watched and all the feedback I have been provided here on this forum, these are my options:
Harbor freight Da-$69.99 and a 20% of coupon.
CG Torq-$129.00
GRIOTS-$149.00
PC7424-$114.00

Anyone know of any good 4th of July Sales???
I have the PC7424 - actually, I've had it for over 10yrs now. Have not looked back once at ever attempting to hand polish (or remove) any corrective wax, regular wax, or any polishes. I use the PC for everything and have different sets of pads that are to be used for different levels of detailing. I purchase all of my replacement pads at http://www.autopia-carcare.com as you can get them in boxed kits for far less than piecing together separately.

The $$$ spent on the PC7424 was well worth it threefold. It takes less time than you think to break out a tool like the PC and detail your ride - and you'll really appreciate the results.

I've never had any issues with the PC at all and with each use, the paint just gets better and better looking. Also, it never leaves any swirls, it gets out imperfections super fast and you really don't need to "muscle it", just merely let it glide across the surface with a controlled effort.

Here's my detail steps for PC wax/polish/correcting:
1) Set PC to a 4 or 5 speed setting.
2) Using the PC, apply favorite (insert X-wax/compound/corrective wax/polish here) to a single body panel. I usually start with roof, then work down to hood, trunk lid, then do sides and finally move on to front and rear bumper covers.
3) Let product haze over
4) Use a micro fiber bonnet to remove hazed product from vehicle
5) Repeat #2-4 above on each panel of vehicle
6) Use a Lambs Wool bonnet and go over entire vehicle
7) Use favorite product for glass
8) DONE

It seems excessive, or a lot of steps, but when you are working with a buffer on a vehicle that has been maintained, it's a rather quick process in relative terms - more so if you're only polishing.

Using a tool like the PC7424 you can really control the outcome and it (or others in same category) is so easy to use, it's nearly impossible to burn through a clearcoat or painted surface...

The Griots tool is practically a direct copy of the PC7424 - you're paying more for the name and Griots color scheme (no offense to Griots, as I use many of their other products).

One more tip:
It's best to apply and remove polish/wax/corrective paint products in a shaded area, carport or in a garage with adequate lighting rather than doing it in direct sunlight where body panel temps can get extremely hot. Some products will cause streaking, will be harder to remove or bake due to excessive high temps.

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
I'm a Chemical Guys whore - almost my entire detailing process uses their products - though I do end with a coat of Migliori hard wax sometimes.

Blacklight glaze - DA polisher on with Hex Pad, remove by hand
Jet Seal - DA polisher on with Hex Pad, remove by hand
Butter Wet Wax - DA polisher on with Hex Pad, remove by hand

If I do the final Migliori wax (it's GD expensive - $100 for 4 ounces I think?) - by hand on (it's in a square jar), DA polisher with Hex Pad off, final buff by hand

Make sure to keep your pads lubricated - I just give it a couple squirts of their clay bar lubricant every half dozen or so passes

OP
OP
Pmauoo

Pmauoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, thanks all for your help. I picked up the Griots orbital 6 polisher along with griots clay, speed shine, griots corrective cream, griots poly wax and a red and orange pad....

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Polisher is for polishing removing imperfection from the paint.
It's not a waxer for a reason. You don't need a polisher for waxing.

Sponsored

AZStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium /Performance
Polisher is for polishing removing imperfection from the paint.
It's not a waxer for a reason. You don't need a polisher for waxing.
There's nothing wrong with using a polisher to apply wax. Have the right pad, and speed and your fine.

AZStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium /Performance
Ok, thanks all for your help. I picked up the Griots orbital 6 polisher along with griots clay, speed shine, griots corrective cream, griots poly wax and a red and orange pad....
Good choice! I have Griots as well, and love it.

OP
OP
Pmauoo

Pmauoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys...JasonStang. I agree with your statement but figured learn how to wax now will only help me learn how to polish later. Also, I think I read that the machine polisher will apply a even coat across and we know trying to do that by hand can get pretty tricky...

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Thanks guys...JasonStang. I agree with your statement but figured learn how to wax now will only help me learn how to polish later. Also, I think I read that the machine polisher will apply a even coat across and we know trying to do that by hand can get pretty tricky...
Nah, you are just wasting more wax into the pad.
Sponsored