Sponsored

Are there waxes and polishes better for darker cars (Magnetic Metallic)?

Pmauoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic
Hello....looking for some advice from all the detailing pros on this forum. I am looking to do a full detail to my 2016 Magnetic Ecoboost and I recall hearing that certain waxes and polishes may be better that others depending on your color. Also, I am looking for something that will really bring out those big metallic flakes in the paint.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
There are colored waxes better at hiding stuff for dark cars but as for polishes, I don't think they care about paint color as you remove it after using.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Sonax Perfect Finish on a Rupes Yellow should work great as a 1 step on your paint unless you have some severe paint defects. I used it on my Guard and Matt Moreman (Obsessed Garage) used it on his Magnetic GT350. Check out his YouTube series.

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
collinite 845 would be good

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Some people swear by carnuba for blacks.

I did cquartz on my Guard but i think the zaino system i used prior gave a deeper darker shine to the car. You just have to make sure the cat is super clean first.

Sponsored

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I like pinnacle sovereign and CG pete's 53 for dark colored Metallics. Neither last very long so I'd do a sealant as well.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I use p21s. It gives a great depth and pop to the metallic. That said, you should be good with any quality wax and if you want a little more depth, put on a second coat.

OP
OP
Pmauoo

Pmauoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic
Ok, thanks for all the responses.

I attempted to foam cannon my car this weekend and everything looked to be going great. I had lots of foam and used the 2 bucket system. End result, dry residue all over the car, most likely caused by rushing. I am thinking I did not rinse her well enough...or maybe too much suds?? I used CG Mr Pink.....and pointers or thoughts...?

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I really like P21S too! Pro tip, it's the same thing as S100 and you can get S100 for like 9-10 bucks on Amazon.

As for the suds, it's probably not rinsing it thoroughly enough. You don't want to wash it out in direct sunlight if you can help it since that could lead to that as well. If you have a leaf blower handy I like drying my car off with a leaf blower. Faster than a towel with no streaks or anything.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Ok, thanks for all the responses.

I attempted to foam cannon my car this weekend and everything looked to be going great. I had lots of foam and used the 2 bucket system. End result, dry residue all over the car, most likely caused by rushing. I am thinking I did not rinse her well enough...or maybe too much suds?? I used CG Mr Pink.....and pointers or thoughts...?
Either you didn't rinse well enough or some dried while you were washing. Avoid washing in direct sunlight. I use Mr. Pink, but without a foam cannon and haven't had any issues with residue.

Sponsored

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Either you didn't rinse well enough or some dried while you were washing. Avoid washing in direct sunlight. I use Mr. Pink, but without a foam cannon and haven't had any issues with residue.
Those aren't the only possible issues, or even the likely culprits in this particular case.

The issue in this case is dilution. Well, the real issue is the internet's fascination with foam guns/cannons and turning their driveway into a quarter-op gas station spray booth but whatever there was too much soap in the mix.

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
Chemical Guys Black Light is good for darker cars. I use it on my black SUV and the red Mustang and it deepens the black just a touch and makes the red a bit darker.

If you've avoided the sun and rinsed the car properly the next problem could be very hard water. You could get a car wash water softener but their not cheap.

I've used a foam cannon and Mr. Pink; I've also done it by hand with a mit.

We have hard water here - can see it all over the shower glass door - it's a PITA.

I'm the ass washing the car at 6:30am to avoid the sun at all costs. And I generally keep the car soaked until I'm ready to wipe. Ie: wash a section, rinse it and wet the rest of the car. Another section, again, wet the rest of the car.

A good seal and wax will help prevent the hard water from building up to quickly...
Sponsored