Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
What are the detailing fanatics here using to keep their grilles clean? As in the terrible honeycomb mesh that collects bugs nicely.

Naturally, high pressure water spray usually gets it done in the usual sense, but here's the thing - my car has only been washed once, when I took delivery. Mine is a fair weather toy and sees dusting and detail sprays only. But cleaning that damn grille is a PITA.

Curious if there are some odd brushes or something out there that I haven't run across....
Sponsored

NasaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium CO A6
Water pressure, whatever cleaning mitt/pad you use, to get in the little non drilled out parts use a lug nut brush/paint brush or maybe even a little wheel whoolie could work.

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
I just use a pressure washer and blower to dry it out.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
my car has only been washed once, when I took delivery. Mine is a fair weather toy and sees dusting and detail sprays only.
That's how to keep the swirl marks to a minimum and I do the same (actually think it was washed 2 maybe 3 times in almost a year now) ... will occasionally use a waterless spray cleaner as required if spot cleaning is required.

Your bugs may be worse than mine but I remove what dead ones i can first with a brush and then just spray them with a bug spray (or even detail spray works too), let it soak for a minute or 2 and then take an old toothbrush to them. Wipe down afterwards.

If you've got no choice but to use water (as I do with my rims) then just be careful and clean any overspray once dry on the paint with the waterless spray and then a detail spray.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Strokerswild

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yeah, I've done the old toothbrush and spray trick, but it's less than great since the handle is parallel with the brush and it's tough to contort.

Ideally I need a stiffer version of a BBQ sauce brush. :D

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
^ Good point on the angle. Try the dollar store for a dish washing type of brush. Will be bigger than a toothbrush but that's ok. Bristles will be stiffer though too but again don't think it'll be a problem.

webelevy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Ingot Silver,Recaros, 20in Foundr

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Yup, as mentioned, the smallest wheel woollies works great for the small grill cut-outs.

trusaleen1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
I have the same problems, I use these bug sponges I got from Amazon. (Viking Microfiber Bug Scrubbing Mitt). What I do is spray some ONR on the grill itself, let it sit for a minute, then I dip my clean bug sponge into my ONR wash and then ring out the excess. Seems to work quite well.

Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
That's how to keep the swirl marks to a minimum and I do the same (actually think it was washed 2 maybe 3 times in almost a year now) ... will occasionally use a waterless spray cleaner as required if spot cleaning is required.

Actually sounds like a great way to destroy your paint job.