Sponsored

Anyone have experience applying ceramic coating?

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
So I went to a detailer to have a quote done for a paint correction and ceramic coating and my eyes about popped out of my head when the total price came up. Over a grand JUST for the coating. I watched some youtube videos and it seems pretty straight forward to apply it yourself, but I was wondering if anyone had done it before and what your experience was.

Also, can you apply the coating to the black trim? Like the plastic mirror stalks and the rubber around the window?
Sponsored

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
That isn't JUST for the coating, that is for the full round of preparation required to get the surface ready for the coating. This is decontamination, paint correction, etc... takes time and costs money.

At any rate, if you are capable of doing flawless preparation then applying a ceramic coating couldn't be easier. Literally one of the easiest things you can do, smear it on/wait a few minutes/buff off excess. Simple, self-leveling, and incredibly difficult to screw up unless the preparation wasn't done to perfection (and then you've wasted time and money, will have to pull it back off... which is why it is expensive) or if the environment isn't right (too humid, too dusty).

OP
OP

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
That isn't JUST for the coating, that is for the full round of preparation required to get the surface ready for the coating. This is decontamination, paint correction, etc... takes time and costs money.

At any rate, if you are capable of doing flawless preparation then applying a ceramic coating couldn't be easier. Literally one of the easiest things you can do, smear it on/wait a few minutes/buff off excess. Simple, self-leveling, and incredibly difficult to screw up unless the preparation wasn't done to perfection (and then you've wasted time and money, will have to pull it back off... which is why it is expensive) or if the environment isn't right (too humid, too dusty).
Right, I get that prep is very important, but the $1000 was JUST for the coating. They wanted another $800 for prep and paint correction. I will pay to have the car decontaminated and corrected because I HATE doing that stuff, but I am thinking I can bring it home and do the ceramic coating myself that same day and save like $900. I was just wondering if I would be in for a headache by doing it myself. Sounds and looks simple enough though.

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Shadow Black
The detailer I know basically said he charges so much to coat cars because he knows the car won't be back for any kind of correction or wax for a long time. Makes sense to me. He also needs the car for a couple or three days to do correction and let the coating cure properly.

There are a lot of different coatings, some easier to apply than others. In general it's wipe on, wait for the coating to flash, and buff off. Some aren't as forgiving as others if the timing isn't just right and you'll end up with high spots that are very difficult to remove. Might not be a big deal on your red Mustang as they would be hard to see.

I'd hang around in the autogeek forums for a bit and get a good idea of what you want to do before you get set to buy something. I'm a big fan of the Optimum products, everything from ONR and optiseal to gloss coat.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
There are lots of threads on here already of people who've done their own coatings. I did the C-Quartz coating myself, and it was stupid easy to apply and the results are fantastic. I think there may be a consumer version and a professional version though, and the latter may be more touchy. But the polishing work to prep it before putting on the coating was by far more work than applying the coating itself.

Sponsored

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Right, I get that prep is very important, but the $1000 was JUST for the coating. They wanted another $800 for prep and paint correction. I will pay to have the car decontaminated and corrected because I HATE doing that stuff, but I am thinking I can bring it home and do the ceramic coating myself that same day and save like $900. I was just wondering if I would be in for a headache by doing it myself. Sounds and looks simple enough though.

Pay for the paint correction, coat it right in his parking lot. Make eye contact while you do it for maximum awkwardness.

CarterRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I also think to a degree you are paying for the warranty. I know with most coatings you get a 1-3 year warranty depending the level you get.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
The guy that's going to do my coating with Ceramic Pro charges anywhere from $350 - $1200, depending on the number of steps he needs to do to correct the paint, and which version of the ceramic coating he puts on (6 month to 5 year). I'll likely pay somewhere in the $500 range, as my paint is in pretty good shape. $1800 is insane.

JR

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
DIY !!!

Guys. If you don't have. DA polisher and all the products you require...get it done. If you do or even have access to a DA polisher... Go for it. I did mine after talking with a few members and watching the videos. I have a Black 2015 GT, PP daily driver and did it with 12,500 miles on the clock....got rid af all swirls and licht scratches and blended in some Minot rock chips.

I spent about $150 in product including the CQuartz UK. A good DA polisher will be under. $200 (got mine several years ago from Griots. I used Menzurna 3800 polish and it worked awesome...got rid of everything. Look at the panels from all angles and in outdoor light. You really cannot go wrong. Check my video for the result. It took me 3 days and a few beers. These are not full days, you just ave to take your time and wait over nite before applying the Reload. Then wait til the next day before driving. The cure can be done if the shop has infrared lights!

Good luck.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
The guy that's going to do my coating with Ceramic Pro charges anywhere from $350 - $1200, depending on the number of steps he needs to do to correct the paint, and which version of the ceramic coating he puts on (6 month to 5 year). I'll likely pay somewhere in the $500 range, as my paint is in pretty good shape. $1800 is insane.

JR
Did he say how long he needs your car.

Sponsored
OP
OP

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Guys. If you don't have. DA polisher and all the products you require...get it done. If you do or even have access to a DA polisher... Go for it. I did mine after talking with a few members and watching the videos. I have a Black 2015 GT, PP daily driver and did it with 12,500 miles on the clock....got rid af all swirls and licht scratches and blended in some Minot rock chips.

I spent about $150 in product including the CQuartz UK. A good DA polisher will be under. $200 (got mine several years ago from Griots. I used Menzurna 3800 polish and it worked awesome...got rid of everything. Look at the panels from all angles and in outdoor light. You really cannot go wrong. Check my video for the result. It took me 3 days and a few beers. These are not full days, you just ave to take your time and wait over nite before applying the Reload. Then wait til the next day before driving. The cure can be done if the shop has infrared lights!

Good luck.
I actually have been thinking about trying the whole process myself. I have a ton of light swirls from the previous owner that I think I can take care of, it is just, do I want to take the time to do it myself? I know how much I think I will enjoy waxing my car, but after an hour or so I am like "why did I decide to do this?!?"

Did he say how long he needs your car.
4-5 days

Mason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Oxford White
Checkout this guy, he just did a full Ceramic Pro and Xpel clear film install on my car. He's in the Cleveland area, but works with a lot of high-end cars and people from around the country, helping with installs. My car is featured in his video.

http://www.nextlevelautodetailing.com

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
I actually have been thinking about trying the whole process myself. I have a ton of light swirls from the previous owner that I think I can take care of, it is just, do I want to take the time to do it myself? I know how much I think I will enjoy waxing my car, but after an hour or so I am like "why did I decide to do this?!?"

4-5 days
PatrickGT helped guide me thru the process. Check out the videos by CarPro Corey in Florida....he's awesome. Seriously with the menzurna 3800, a DA polisher and correct sponge pads...you can't go wrong. Even after applying CQuartz UK I discovered some light scratches on my trunk lid...aaaargh! No problem, I just re-polished, cleaned, cleaned..and re- applied the CQuartz. You will be more than proud of the job you will do. Seriously...when guys ask me where I had mine done and I say I did it myself, they are stunned!
[ame]

EVERYONE SEEMS TO THINK THIS IS ROCKET SCIENCE, BUT IT IS ACTUALLY VERY EASY TO DO YOURSELF.

Do it and report back to us. :cheers::cheers: And, no more waxing!! Bonus.

OP
OP

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Checkout this guy, he just did a full Ceramic Pro and Xpel clear film install on my car. He's in the Cleveland area, but works with a lot of high-end cars and people from around the country, helping with installs. My car is featured in his video.

http://www.nextlevelautodetailing.com
I just had an estimate done by him today and he has a MUCH more reasonable price for 2 stage correction and ceramic coating. $850 for everything so I think I am going with him. Thanks for the heads up!

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
I just had an estimate done by him today and he has a MUCH more reasonable price for 2 stage correction and ceramic coating. $850 for everything so I think I am going with him. Thanks for the heads up!
You sir will not regret your decision!! You will love it!
Sponsored