Sponsored

Sound quality?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
The stock system sucks. I replaced six of the seven speakers(didn't want to get in the dash). I picked up some Alpine components from Best Buy, about $269-ish. Nothing crazy, but night and day better than stock for not much $$.
:)
Hey Sam,
Would you mind posting details on what you put in? Were they a true, plug and play all around?

Thanks
Sponsored

Hermz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
350R
I'm hoping to do a seat delete and custom install a sub into the rear delete wall. Hopefully -30lbs from the seat delete will offset the extra speaker weight.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I know I'll catch some static for even asking this question, but I'm just curious... How is the sound quality out of the stock sound system with the electronics package? I'm coming out of a Lexus RCF with the Mark Levinson audio and it was pretty nice. Although I should state that before the Lexus, I had an 05 GT that had headers and was cammed and it was crazy loud. I never even listened to the radio because you couldn't hardly hear it anyway. Truthfully, I would rather just listen to the exhaust note and be perfectly happy. But since I'm paying for a package that includes a radio upgrade, I thought I'd ask how it actually is - assuming anyone here has actually turned it on. :D
There is only one problem with the question you pose. Sound quality is subjective. I am sort of an audiophile and also a trained audio engineer. No matter what you do, it will sound different to someone else. 2nd, the amount of sound absorbing material needed for accurate acoustical representation would be detrimental to the performance of the GT350. You may be able to improve on the amplitude but quality of the sound will suffer as the acoustical physics in this car are not properly supported. And as I already mentioned, sound quality is subjective.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
^^ Yeah what he said :)

Here's what I would tell you. I consider myself the average Joe (Jeff)...audio-wise. I know what "I" think sounds good and it's generally accomplished by buying not the cheapest but not the most expensive gear out there. I listen to many different kinds of music...I know I like to hear the bass line of a bass guitar just as much as the rest of the song...I've heard many stock systems and can generate a subjective opinion based on my experiences.......

It sucks. It sounds like I have a portable boombox (maybe not even that good) sitting on the dash. Good thing the rest of the car is so good. My 2007 Audi had a Bose (lol) system and it sounded quite a bit better. Admittedly, it was a 4 door and benefited from the extra speakers and door volume...but still.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
^^ Yeah what he said :)

Here's what I would tell you. I consider myself the average Joe (Jeff)...audio-wise. I know what "I" think sounds good and it's generally accomplished by buying not the cheapest but not the most expensive gear out there. I listen to many different kinds of music...I know I like to hear the bass line of a bass guitar just as much as the rest of the song...I've heard many stock systems and can generate a subjective opinion based on my experiences.......

It sucks. It sounds like I have a portable boombox (maybe not even that good) sitting on the dash. Good thing the rest of the car is so good. My 2007 Audi had a Bose (lol) system and it sounded quite a bit better. Admittedly, it was a 4 door and benefited from the extra speakers and door volume...but still.
Yeah, a boom box from 1988 :lol:

Sponsored

MidloGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
There is only one problem with the question you pose. Sound quality is subjective. I am sort of an audiophile and also a trained audio engineer. No matter what you do, it will sound different to someone else. 2nd, the amount of sound absorbing material needed for accurate acoustical representation would be detrimental to the performance of the GT350. You may be able to improve on the amplitude but quality of the sound will suffer as the acoustical physics in this car are not properly supported. And as I already mentioned, sound quality is subjective.
Adding sound deadening material isn't going to hurt the performance enough for 90% of drivers to notice. Putting a system in the car is only going to make it better, not worse. Unless you bought a R and only track it, you're not going to hurt it.

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Adding sound deadening material isn't going to hurt the performance enough for 90% of drivers to notice. Putting a system in the car is only going to make it better, not worse. Unless you bought a R and only track it, you're not going to hurt it.
Like you said, sound deadening will not hurt your audible exhaust note. However, It will create proper enclosures for your speakers (improves mid-bass response drastically), cut road noise (who wants to hear the tires?), and help your HVAC cool/heat the car more effectively.

Past that, a mid-range set of components and an Alpine power pack (or two) will give you big system sound for around 600 dollars invested (if you install yourself). You'll see a massive improvement with very little weight added (10-30lbs depending on how crazy you get with the deadening material).

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
I don't know about you, but I want to reduce weight and not increase the weight. Add up all the sound material, larger magnet on the upgraded speakers, additional amps and a sub woofer.....I pass. That would be nearly adding 50lbs. I love all the sounds this car makes, don't care for the sound from the audio system. I don't own an R but I track my and will track it regularly, I will notice the difference. In fact, once I establish a consistent time at Barber I am taking out the back seat, trunk liner and tire kit and will not be installing a rear seat delete kit. That will get me close to reducing 40+lbs.

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
I don't know about you, but I want to reduce weight and not increase the weight. Add up all the sound material, larger magnet on the upgraded speakers, additional amps and a sub woofer.....I pass. That would be nearly adding 50lbs. I love all the sounds this car makes, don't care for the sound from the audio system. I don't own an R but I track my and will track it regularly, I will notice the difference. In fact, once I establish a consistent time at Barber I am taking out the back seat, trunk liner and tire kit and will not be installing a rear seat delete kit. That will get me close to reducing 40+lbs.
I did the same reductions, and actually went a good bit further on that front. Then, I added a half cage and sound deadening. All in all, I'm still close to 100 lbs lighter than stock with a much more comfortable and safe car. And, my system is lightweight in itself. The speakers weigh negligibly more than stock, and my amps weigh a half pound each. Not everyone wants to go with full out systems, just a good improvement over stock. My entire audio setup may have added 30 lbs if that.

I'll have the car on scales at the end of the week to see where it lands.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
When someone talks about spending $300, my first thought is that's how much they charge for an HPDE at the nearest road course. It's an easy choice for me which of the two to spend it on.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
When someone talks about spending $300, my first thought is that's how much they charge for an HPDE at the nearest road course. It's an easy choice for me which of the two to spend it on.
Yes yes YES!