Sponsored

Need Help with handling issue with new tires...

OP
OP

psoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT pp
The difference between all-seasons and summer tires. Sidewall flex, grip, handling.

Did you replace with the same exact size tire?

You didn't expect an all season to handle turns the same as a dedicated summer tire, right?
They are the same exact tire size 275-40-19. I didn't expect them to be the same as Summer only tires. But I did expect the car to go straight.
This isn't a cornering issue.
Let me describe the issue another way...
While going straight on the Express way at say 60mph on a flat surface. I take my hands off the steering wheel,...car stays streight...then floor the gas peddle quickly... the car lurches/takes off to the right. Then when I let off the throttle quickly the car quickly goes back to the left. It is not a subtle motion at all there is a lot of movement.
Sponsored

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
That sounds exactly like sidewall flex. In the meantime, I'd not let go of the wheel when accelerating or decelerating...lol. A 40-series all season will have quite a bit more flex in it. You're gonna have to "learn" how the car behaves now and adjust, or get a different set of tires.

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
If you are running mismatched tires the ones with less grip should be in the front. You've put the tires with less grip in the back.

This is the same reason and decent shop will not let someone with a FWD car just replace the front tires and leave the old backs. When you start braking hard you do not want the back losing traction first, it will try to pass the front of the car and that is bad.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
To me it seems to be the tires.
Agreed, and the observations by OP going to the Continentals and away from them by Martman are consistent with each other.

Martman should re-accustom himself to the new behavior within a couple of weeks - he's just steering the car too much for the better-responding Pirellis, having to correct (but overcorrecting) and then having to correct that. And so on.

Norm

Last edited:

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Continental DWS have a much softer sidewall then the P-Zero summer tire so it could feel different/lazy compared to Pirelli.

This. The side walls are a joke on the conties. P zeros have much stiffer sidewalls.

Sponsored

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
Honestly there's a real reason you shouldn't be mounting different tires front and back, it's not something made up. You're front tires are doing one thing and your rears are doing something else. I would have been surprised if it there wasn't an issue :p

OP
OP

psoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT pp
Well I took it into the shop today. I took the tech for a test ride and he quickly noticed what I was talking about while he was in the passenger seat. He checked the Alignment and everything was in spec. So they had nothing else to say to me but that I should take it into the dealer. Well I want to rule out that it for sure is or is not the tires before I take it anywhere else. So Since the Continentals have a 60 day free trial, I told them I dont want the tires and had them order me the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3. It will cost me $80 more. BUT if they put these ones on and it does the same thing, then I know 100% for sure it is mechanical and I will look over everything and check all the bushing bolts. If i see nothing I will then take it to the dealer.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
My pzeros have not really let me down yet. Is it the wet or snow or something?..They grip very well still with 5,200 mi. Now if I can only find a sweet deal on another set .

Kuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Well I took it into the shop today. I took the tech for a test ride and he quickly noticed what I was talking about while he was in the passenger seat. He checked the Alignment and everything was in spec. So they had nothing else to say to me but that I should take it into the dealer. Well I want to rule out that it for sure is or is not the tires before I take it anywhere else. So Since the Continentals have a 60 day free trial, I told them I dont want the tires and had them order me the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3. It will cost me $80 more. BUT if they put these ones on and it does the same thing, then I know 100% for sure it is mechanical and I will look over everything and check all the bushing bolts. If i see nothing I will then take it to the dealer.
That's a safe bet :thumbsup:

Built4Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium White
There have been many on this board that have positive things to say about these continental tires. I'm considering them myself once I switch out my factory wheels.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Continental DWS is about the best all season that exists. It seriously is very very good even in snow. Having said that, it is still all season (why would somebody put all season on a perfomance car boggles my mind but that's a different issue) - it is a softer compound than P-Zero, different tread pattern, different side wall stiffness. Distorts car dynamics IMO.

Ditch the all seasons, buy winter tires for winter.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The DWS is on the soft side when I had it on the BMW.

Slow_5OHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium CO pp/401a
I have the exact same problem with mine. Switched from P-Zero's to Conti's in back and still running the stock P-Zero's in the front. Immediately noticed a difference in the handling of the car. At first I checked the tire pressure and it was set to around 26 psi so I set it to 32 psi which did help but there is still noticeable movement from the rear that wasn't there before. Car is stock height with no suspension upgrades. May be best to switch fronts to Conti's to see if problem goes away? Side note: I went with 285/35 instead of 275/40

Last edited: