Sponsored

How to remove Driveline and Motor and 6060 trans conversion.

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
Hi there. I'm building my 2015 GT Vert to be a deep 9 second monster that I can also take and autoX with and drop the top cruise the beach with the family.

That said I am not a mechanic. Just a confident wrencher. As I take car apart/put it back together I'll document here so if you need to take something apart maybe my posts will help.

Something I would like to note here: Before you begin this project, go to an AC shop ask them to remove all the refrigerant from your A/C lines. When you're done, get a shop to add new refrigerant/charge your A/C system.

Also try to make it a habit of each part you remove, put the bolts lightly back in place to keep track of the bolts you remove.

That said, lets get started.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a picture (not the best sorry) of what the rear part of the Steeda Jacking rails fitment looks like with the convertible braces. I also try to show where to place jack/jack stands on rear to remove the convertible braces.
Jakc Stands Rear and jack rails.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the vert braces out of the way, go ahead and remove the mufflers. I have a Roush muffler setup so yours may look slightly different. I will show the bolts you need to remove to undo the hangers and take the mufflers off.
5 Exhaust Removal.jpg
6 Mufflers Removed.jpg

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have an H pipe, but if you still have the factory resonator on, the connections I show here are the same, you will just have the resonator instead of H pipe.

First, unbolt the 2 bolts that hold the exhaust hangars to the rear cradle. Also unbolt the 2 exhaust clamps at the rear of the H pipe, and the 2 exhaust clamps at the front of the h pipe.

I marked the passenger side of the h pipe with a piece of duct tape because it does matter which side points which direction.

After the exhaust pipes between the h pipe and mufflers were loosened I removed them by lifting up on the hangar, and sliding the pipe out one side of the time noting which side was driver which side was passenger.

With the 2 pipes removed, I removed the H pipe.
7 Pipes leading to mufflers.jpg
8 H pipe removal.jpg
9 H pipe to catalytic converters.jpg

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a pypes long tube header system, so again your setup may look slightly different.

At this point, I removed the high flow catalytic converters from my headers by unbolting the 2 bolts (per side) for the slip connection, removing the pipes noting which side is the drivers side which is passenger.

With the Catalytic converters removed I also removed the front and rear O2 sensors.
10 Catalytic converters.jpg
11 Rear O2 Sensor.jpg
12 Front O2 Sensor.jpg
13 Front O2 sensor connector.jpg

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the exhaust out of the way you now have plenty of access to the driveshaft.

Your setup should be similar. I have a DSS driveshaft, as well as a BMR Drive Shaft Safety Loop.

I removed all but one bolt from the rear of the driveshaft. I had my wife set the parking brake as I broke the bolts loose. I then had her release the brake so I could turn the driveshaft to access the next bolt.

With all but one bolt released on the rear, I placed a transmission jack under the transmission, and loosened the 4 transmission crossmember bolts. I then lowered the transmission a little and slid the BMR driveshaft safety loop back out of the way.

With the safety loop out of the way I removed the transmission crossmember to have full access to the front of the driveshaft. There are 4 bolts here which I removed one at a time, by having my wife set and unset the parking brake.

After these 4 bolts were removed, I removed the final bolt from the rear of the driveshaft and removed the driveshaft.
14 Drive Shaft Rear.jpg
15 Drive Shaft Front.jpg
16 Transmission Crossmember.jpg
17 Crossmember removed.jpg

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the driveshaft removed, DSS required I install a front and rear adapter plate.

I removed these plates, and here is a picture of what is left with the driveshaft removed.
18 Rear adapter plate.jpg
19 Rear adapterplate removed.jpg
20 Front Adapter removed.jpg
21 DS Removed.jpg

Sponsored

bklynpanman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
i heard you need a custom length driveshaft? ALSO, why did you decide against a magnum xl?

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i heard you need a custom length driveshaft? ALSO, why did you decide against a magnum xl?
Yes, you will need custom length driveshaft, but I'm working on getting one made so this can be a bolt in kit. I was getting quotes on the Magnum XL and that kit was selling for between 5 and 6k with shifter/driveshaft.

This kit should be under 4k when all said and done. I'm working with Ben Calimer on this, so once all is done, I think he will be selling this as a kit.

bklynpanman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
awesome.. mgw shifter works great with the 6060.. i ran that on my '14 gt500... only downside with the 6060 is the remote mount.. it was a bit sloppy before the MGW went in.. .looking forward to this.. Thanks for doing the write up!!!!!

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
awesome.. mgw shifter works great with the 6060.. i ran that on my '14 gt500... only downside with the 6060 is the remote mount.. it was a bit sloppy before the MGW went in.. .looking forward to this.. Thanks for doing the write up!!!!!
Welcome! I'll be updating this almost daily. I have most of the motor out with pics, I'll have trans out by this weekend. Just need time to put the pics together label stuff. I hope this post is helpful to someone.

In regards to shifters I have the MGW and Barton. Will be reviewing both. I'm hoping this post will help people if they want to take a certain component apart, but not quite sure how things fit together.

After everything out, I'll be continuing this with the install listing torque specs of everything. Quite a bit of work to do still.

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Subbed.
Sponsored