Sponsored

2015 Mustang (s550) Wish List

hawkeye

My last post made me think of the possibilities for the next Mustang... here goes my semi-serious wish list for the next version in no particular order:

Starting with what we already kind-of sort-of know should happen:
- IRS
- Lighter (preferably curb weight of ~3200-3300lbs for manual GT)

Others:
- DCT
- Lower profile, wider tires
- Cold weather package (a necessity here in IA)
- fastback/hatchback version (assuming it will look right on the redesign)
- Brembos (as premium option)
- DI for the 5.0 v8
- MyFord Touch
- push button start
- EB6?

I can think of a lot more but don't want to get greedy... and yes, I know, everything here would add weight/price. Just a wish list, would be happy to see just a few of these get included.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of obvious ones. Anyone else?
Sponsored

OP
OP

KZStang

I second the MyFordTouch, seen it in a Ford Edge. The performance info on the screen would be awesome. Actually a lot of the ones you list and some you didn't are already available in other Ford cars. There's no reason why they can't offer them as options in the new Mustang.

One thing I'd like to see is Sports mode and other customizable driving modes. Also, remote keyless access would be a bonus.

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
IRS is a given and we've already seen it on the prototypes, thank goodness.

Weight savings would definitely be nice, though I'd be happy just hear that it doesn't gain any weight since the heavier IRS and the new platform weight savings might just cancel each other out.

The only other thing I'd definitely want is a dual clutch paddle shifting tranny. Hoping to use this car as my daily commuter so it'd be nice to have a dual clutch system instead of traditional auto. It'd be a tough choice choosing between an auto and manual for me. Love the manual, but don't know if I could deal with it day in day out commuting. A DCT system precludes that dilemma.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
2200-2300 LBS??? I hope that that was a double typo...

Just for reference, the MX-5 weighs roughly 2600 LBS.

OP
OP

hawkeye

Hah yea, momentary dyslexia my bad.. of course meant 3200-3300lbs. Would love to see 2-300lb weight reduction. Doable I think. Hopefully not just with the 4-cyl too.

Just edited original post..

Sponsored

OP
OP

TradeStepan

Here's mine:

Smaller length/size overall - the grow has grown every single generation except for the second gen Mustang. The 2011 model is the longest yet it's 6 inches longer than a '69 Mustang.

Lighter - who doesn't want a lighter car for better handling and gas consumption. I hope it's lighter but I'm not sure it'll actually be lighter. Too much new technology like NAV, GPS, power seats, sound proof material etc. in cars these days to really get much lighter without crazy materials like carbon fiber and there's no way we're getting that.

Interior redesign - the quality of the current model is pretty good but its styling and design is so long in the tooth after so many years now. I wouldn't mind if it's like the current Taurus interior, which is pretty sleek and simple.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Exterior - Just as long as it doesn't offend me I'm good.

Interior - Yet again nothing too offensive, just something well-built. Recaro seats optional on all trims with V8's.

Weight - Average of 200 LBS less will satisfy me.

Engine - 5.0L V8 making 435 HP and 400 FT-LBS of torque would be nice. A N/A 5.8L with 500+ HP sold as a Boss 351 or Mach 1 would have me throwing my money at them faster than cheapskate bending down to pick a dollar off the ground. The overall continuation of a Super-'Stang (GT500) would be nice.

Tranny - 6 speed manuals standard for every trim. Don't care about the Automatics.

Driveline - Aluminum driveshaft with a 31-spline 8.8" pumpkin going to the familiar 5x4.5' hubs. LSD standard, Torsen optional on all trims.

Suspension - Double-wishbone all around with optional adjustable dampers.

Brakes - 6-piston front calipers on large rotors and 4-piston rear calipers should bring the lighter Mustang to a stop with ease and minimal fade.

Driver position - Lower overall seating position and work on the pedal placement. The shifter needs to be brought a little to the left IMO for us in the States with LHD cars.

Price - Keep it within a grand of what it is right now.

OP
OP

NRMStand

Agree with a lot of the ones already mentioned. Also would like:

- Driver's side memory seat
- Adjustable/quick switch personalized driving modes like BMW's iDrive
- Internet access integrated through the Nav
- HUD (heads up display) - gotta keep up with the Camaro
- NO more cheap plastic for the interior/door panel - need better materials all around
- SMALLER (this is one area we do NOT need to compete with the Camaro)

OP
OP

Binion

Can I wish for hydraulic steering? :D I know I know there's no way we'll see Ford go back to hydrualic from EPS now.

Never driven current Mustang with EPS are there any current owners that can tell me how good or bad it is? I really wish manufacturers would stop throwing EPS in all cars now. Just to save some money and a 0.5% in efficiency? Cmon now :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
The ability to have no power steering at all would be fantastic IMO.

Sponsored
OP
OP

TradeStepan

The ability to have no power steering at all would be fantastic IMO.
Now that would be a contradiction - manual steering with full touchscreen nav unit. Also wish we could go back to the days of hydraulic steering units. This EPS stuff is all a sham that companies are using to save production costs while saying its for efficiency reasons. :mad:

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Or you can just flip a switch and turn all electronic assist off...

OP
OP

Krishna

OK.... back to stuff that doesnt take us back to 50+yrs..

How about paddle shifters for automatics? Offer a traditional manual tranny and a 6-8 speed auto tranny with paddles. I don't think we see a DCT anytime soon, but would be a great premium option in the future.

OP
OP

Ted

OK.... back to stuff that doesnt take us back to 50+yrs..

How about paddle shifters for automatics? Offer a traditional manual tranny and a 6-8 speed auto tranny with paddles. I don't think we see a DCT anytime soon, but would be a great premium option in the future.
Haven't been truly impressed by any flappy paddle shifters for automatics yet. They all seem to be the same thing as just moving the shifter into steptronic mode and using that to shift (lame). Then again I haven't tried one in a couple of years so maybe auto trannies with paddle shifters have improved a lot lately. True dual clutch would be the ultimate solution but does Ford have one developed already?

OP
OP

JackHoya

Yes, Ford has offered a 6-speed DCT called PowerShift for the Fiesta and Focus for a while now. Also offering it on a lot of their new Euro or Asian models now... Tourneo, EcoSport etc. Its had its share of snags tho.. shifting delays/smoothness issues.

Really wanna see them bring it to more cars stateside.
Sponsored