Livernois or Cobb Tune?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Ecoboost Performance Pack
Hey guys, sorry if this was already mention, but i cannot find a thread on here about comparing these two. I wanna ask you guys in your opinions on these tuners on which is better to purchase. I understand that the Cobb is used by many many people, but i heard Livernois gives out the most HP out of all the tuner brands. What do you think? Cobb for $500 or just throw in the extra $100 and get more horsepower but less customizable tunes? Thanks!
Sponsored

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
cobb with a tune+/adam tune

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Hey guys, sorry if this was already mention, but i cannot find a thread on here about comparing these two. I wanna ask you guys in your opinions on these tuners on which is better to purchase. I understand that the Cobb is used by many many people, but i heard Livernois gives out the most HP out of all the tuner brands. What do you think? Cobb for $500 or just throw in the extra $100 and get more horsepower but less customizable tunes? Thanks!
There are a ton of happy ppl with the Cobb tuner on here. It's a nice device and Tune+/MAP market pretty heavily on here and have had great results

That being said, I went with Livernois about 15K miles ago and would easily do it again. While it costs $100 more up front, with that you get ongoing revisions for life for additional mods, and they have been releasing improved/revised tuning to all customers every few months and it somehow gets better every time. For COBB you would have to pay extra on top of the $500 for that. They also have a very close relationship with Ford performance which has to give them an advantage and they have been tuning ecoboost engines for years. LMS actually helped ford performance build the mustang ecoboost aluminator short block which is pretty awesome.

Although it is pretty simple, I like the device. It takes less than 5mins to flash your car, holds 4 tunes (including stock tune) and it can read and clear codes. Jaimie has been great to deal with and always answers my questions in a timely fashion

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
I agree with Eco. I have had all three major tuners on this forum. My favorite by far is Livernois for all the reasons above. Livernois I found gave a much smoother power delivery. Your choice though.

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
I agree with Eco. I have had all three major tuners on this forum. My favorite by far is Livernois for all the reasons above. Livernois I found gave a much smoother power delivery. Your choice though.
Interesting you had all three?Can you comment on the key differences, in terms of the power delivery? I am actually quite interested to hear this, since I have only used Livernois.

And to comment to OP, I have only had Livernois and highly suggest it. However, tuners with on COBB platform (Adam Tune+) will undoubtedly be able to give you a more powerful tune. But I have not seen anyone question the smoothness and linear deliverability while remaining the closest within the stock operating measurements than LMS. LMS keeps boost within close to the stock max 20PSI, which is one of the main reasons I went with them. I want to be driving this stang for a long time coming.

Sponsored

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
There are a ton of happy ppl with the Cobb tuner on here. It's a nice device and Tune+/MAP market pretty heavily on here and have had great results

That being said, I went with Livernois about 15K miles ago and would easily do it again. While it costs $100 more up front, with that you get ongoing revisions for life for additional mods, and they have been releasing improved/revised tuning to all customers every few months and it somehow gets better every time. For COBB you would have to pay extra on top of the $500 for that. They also have a very close relationship with Ford performance which has to give them an advantage and they have been tuning ecoboost engines for years. LMS actually helped ford performance build the mustang ecoboost aluminator short block which is pretty awesome.

Although it is pretty simple, I like the device. It takes less than 5mins to flash your car, holds 4 tunes (including stock tune) and it can read and clear codes. Jaimie has been great to deal with and always answers my questions in a timely fashion
Thank you for the kind words, but I am not associated with MAP so I would prefer to have TUNE+ separated ;)

I don't recall ever tuning you with the Accessport. If you are comparing the Cobb OTS MAP to a heavily refined LMS tune (they are on V7 now) that isn't comparing apples to oranges.

Cobb has a lot more to offer as a device, not to mention the fastest privately owned vehicles are running Cobb.

Cobb offers the following features:

- On the fly map switching. You can have one single tune flashed to the car, and 5 different "slots" within that tune which can be setup for different fuels, boost, timing, launch controls.

-Which leads me to my next point, Launch Control. Cobb offers launch control for MT cars, and soon in the future launch control for high stall AT vehicles.

-Flat Foot Shifting (MT)

-Boost by gear

-Datalogging, which is the biggest feature in my opinion. There are over 200 Ecoboost Mustangs running some sort of iteration of my tune since March of this year. Each one of those have been tuned by utilizing the VERY accurate datalogging capabilities of the Accessport. The LMS device does not offer any sort of datalogging which to me is a huge handicap. With my experience with these cars I have had my hands on, no two cars perform the same, especially with modifications. These cars are very sensitive to fuels, this is why I'm able to make over 50whp with an E30 tune over a 93 tune. There are a ton of different quality fuels all over the states and overseas and it is KEY to tune the vehicle according to the fuel available to the customer. SCT has the ability to datalog, but the tuner has to do a ton of conversion on their end from KPA to PSI, or Absolute to Relative, NM to Ft/lbs, etc. In my opinion that leaves room for error, where as the Cobb spits out exactly what you are looking for and you have the ability to change it from imperial data to metric data if needed.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
Adam and Tune+ with the Cobb Accessport would be my choice.

He consistently has the quickest cars out there, with minimal mods. His tune feels as refined as, actually more so, than the stock calibration. It is so well done that it does not scream TUNE!!! as you drive it, it just is much quicker and better. Adam also is a cautious tuner, who maintains many of the Ford failsafes and strategies to protect the longevity of your engine.

Mike

Last edited:

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
Appreciate that!

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
How does Livernois revise their tunes without logs?
Yea they do it based on their own in house testing which they have continued to develop. I think the next revision will be even more of a hit than v7 was

Sponsored

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
Thank you for the kind words, but I am not associated with MAP so I would prefer to have TUNE+ separated ;)

I don't recall ever tuning you with the Accessport. If you are comparing the Cobb OTS MAP to a heavily refined LMS tune (they are on V7 now) that isn't comparing apples to oranges.

Cobb has a lot more to offer as a device, not to mention the fastest privately owned vehicles are running Cobb.

Cobb offers the following features:

- On the fly map switching. You can have one single tune flashed to the car, and 5 different "slots" within that tune which can be setup for different fuels, boost, timing, launch controls.

-Which leads me to my next point, Launch Control. Cobb offers launch control for MT cars, and soon in the future launch control for high stall AT vehicles.

-Flat Foot Shifting (MT)

-Boost by gear

-Datalogging, which is the biggest feature in my opinion. There are over 200 Ecoboost Mustangs running some sort of iteration of my tune since March of this year. Each one of those have been tuned by utilizing the VERY accurate datalogging capabilities of the Accessport. The LMS device does not offer any sort of datalogging which to me is a huge handicap. With my experience with these cars I have had my hands on, no two cars perform the same, especially with modifications. These cars are very sensitive to fuels, this is why I'm able to make over 50whp with an E30 tune over a 93 tune. There are a ton of different quality fuels all over the states and overseas and it is KEY to tune the vehicle according to the fuel available to the customer. SCT has the ability to datalog, but the tuner has to do a ton of conversion on their end from KPA to PSI, or Absolute to Relative, NM to Ft/lbs, etc. In my opinion that leaves room for error, where as the Cobb spits out exactly what you are looking for and you have the ability to change it from imperial data to metric data if needed.
I was referring to the tune that I had through MAP. I am not bashing your ability at all. I have seen nothing but good reviewss about your tunes :thumbsup:. My preference of all the tunes that I have used is Livernois.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
How does Livernois revise their tunes without logs?

Firstly, thank you for the recommendations guys. OP thank you for the consideration as well, we appreciate it greatly.

We do revise any and all tunes for any safe tweak that you wish to make. If you say that you want boost to hit 25# at 2k RPM and stay there until 8k RPM we will tell you no. If you request a tweak that will not murder your car we have no problem adjusting your tune. Adjusting RPM range, adjusting your Lambda, TQ curve mods, etc...WE DO ALL OF THAT! Ask anyone that runs our tuning on ANY vehicle, because we allow for many tune tweaks. We do far more tuning than just the S550, turbo cars or even just Ford cars. We tune every late model domestic from your 1.5L Fusion to new LT4 Z06 to SRT8 Jeeps. We also hold world records in all of those makes as well.

Last edited:

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)

For the record we are actually on XV1. That is the latest and greatest DD tuning available. We have clients running 11.7-11.9 all day long with it!

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
For the record we are actually on XV1. That is the latest and greatest DD tuning available. We have clients running 11.7-11.9 all day long with it!
Really?! I thought V7 was the newest. Looks like I need to send in for a revision.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.