Sponsored

How long does it take to take the calipers off the car? Do you clear coat them? Poll

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
I'm still wondering if powder-coating them is worth it. If it only costs like $150 or less for a shop to powdercoat them, then I'm not saving much money spending 4-8 hours painting them myself. I'm not too worried about quality either way as everyone seems very happy with either G2 or powdercoating.

But if taking the calipers off is an even bigger headache than taping everything off then I guess I understand why everyone paints it themselves?

edit: nvm about the poll, I'm going to make another topic later about clearcoating based on having a caliper sticker.
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I don't know if you have the Brembos or not, but if so, you can have the car jacked up, wheels off, pads out, and calipers off in about a half hour or so. Standard brakes might be another 15 minutes.

I removed my front calipers completely, cleaned them really, really well, then painted them with G2. I'd probably send them out for powdercoat, were I to do it again. On the rears, I removed the caliper brackets and painted them off the car, but painted the calipers on the car. I didn't use clearcoat, but I probably should have. The brake dust gets to be pretty annoying.

JR

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Non Brembos. They're harder to remove? So after jacking up the car would take about an hour? For someone who hasn't even changed their oil before.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Non Brembos. They're harder to remove? So after jacking up the car would take about an hour? For someone who hasn't even changed their oil before.
I wouldn't quite say that. I've done a lot of brakes in my day, so I'm pretty quick at it. Assuming you have all the tools you need, it shouldn't take a whole lot more than an hour, maybe two. The biggest issue, if you're not familiar with maintenance and wrenching, is that once you get the calipers back on, you're going to need to bleed the brakes. If you've never changed your oil, which is probably the easiest thing you could do, you're going to be in a rough spot.

JR
Sponsored