Sponsored

Spoiler questions

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I'd like to put a spoiler on my performance pack GT. As you know it doesn't have holes pre drilled.

How sturdy are no drill spoilers? I feel like if I use one it'll get knocked off when I push too hard while washing or something.

How much did it scare you to drill holes for a non stick-on spoiler? Ha...it scares me because I get one crack at it. I honestly would be perfectly OK with paying a professional to do it. Would that just be a body shop or would somewhere more specialized be the place to go?
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I wouldn't trust 3M tape with anything bigger than a small lip spoiler. I know it's super strong, but anything that's going to encounter wind resistance is going to worry me.

I installed my GT350 Track Pack spoiler, and it honestly wasn't that bad. The biggest thing is to make sure the template is lined up correctly, adjust it as you need to, and quadruple check EVERYTHING. It took me like an hour or so to install the spoiler, start to finish, and probably 40 minutes of that was just aligning the template and working up the balls to mark the first drill location.

Once you've got that done, make sure you have a good center punch to mark your holes. I initially tried to drill the holes with a standard drill bit, but found that it deflected the aluminum, rather than drilled it cleanly. I used a step bit for the rest of it, including to clean up the first hole, and things went very smoothly. A file, some touch up paint, and you're good.

Like I said, I did this completely on my own, but having a second set of hands would have been very helpful. Trying to put the spoiler on the car to check alignment of the template would have been much easier if I'd have had another person to hold it, while I checked things.

JR

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
This is a stick on spoiler. It has 3M trim tape around the perimeter then front to back about every 4". It's been on for about 3,000 miles and has shown any signs of coming loose.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cJZ0WlTwAjIrxtJy1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/F9ghVkOmZXFGzSoe2

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
It's from Icon H style
Sponsored