Sponsored

Osgiken and halfshaft question

ihavefat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12GT/FoST/'16 GT
I am posting here because I wanted to hear your thoughts from those who mainly autox/track your mustangs.
I am getting the osgiken lsd installed soon and one of the shop actually mentioned that I do halfshaft along with it while it's out.
My question is, how common is the halfshaft failure ? My car is a daily driver and mainly autox and some track though out the year. Getting aftermarket halfshaft would be another 1.2k+ so I wanted to see if I should go ahead with the lsd install and worry about the halfshafts later. My car is currently stock engine wise and probably will be for a while. Currently running street tires, may upgrade to stickier 200tw tires sometime next year.

Also any other irs/bracing mods you would recommend while the rear end is taken apart for the lsd install ?
Sponsored

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
i have broken an axle in each of my first two seasons autox'ing my S550.

switched to GT350 axles this season, and have had no failures to date. no longer running rcomps in ESP, which obviously makes a difference in forces being applied, but still launching hard at various pro solos on concrete across the country (el toro, crows landing, lincoln). still, might be worthwhile looking into if you want a little extra insurance. always nice to have a set of spares with you too :)

you'll like the giken. i was the one that originally sent them the donor rear end to have japan create a prototype for me in early 2015. still going strong, and when my diff carriage bolts blew up at an event earlier this season, i had to replace the diff cover. inspected the diff and ring/pinion wear pattern - everything looked great. these things are built to perform and last, too.

if you don't care about classing (i.e., CAM), get all the rubber out of your suspension and replace with delrin/sphericals - makes a huge difference in consistency under load.

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
Yes, put GT350 axles in it if you don't care about car class. OSgiken was in the Mike Maier One lap car that won earlier this year.

[ame]

OP
OP

ihavefat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12GT/FoST/'16 GT
i have broken an axle in each of my first two seasons autox'ing my S550.

switched to GT350 axles this season, and have had no failures to date. no longer running rcomps in ESP, which obviously makes a difference in forces being applied, but still launching hard at various pro solos on concrete across the country (el toro, crows landing, lincoln). still, might be worthwhile looking into if you want a little extra insurance. always nice to have a set of spares with you too :)

you'll like the giken. i was the one that originally sent them the donor rear end to have japan create a prototype for me in early 2015. still going strong, and when my diff carriage bolts blew up at an event earlier this season, i had to replace the diff cover. inspected the diff and ring/pinion wear pattern - everything looked great. these things are built to perform and last, too.

if you don't care about classing (i.e., CAM), get all the rubber out of your suspension and replace with delrin/sphericals - makes a huge difference in consistency under load.
Thanks Boardkat. Currently have the diff with me but just need to order the fluids and the install kit. Really surprised how much the fluid was but honestly not so bad considering the interval you change them. Do you know how much fluid I need to order ? Also how did your diff carriage blow ??

Most likely I will go with the gt350 halfshaft s. I'll see if I can find used or see if I can purchase them from Tasca.

What I didn't know about osgiken is that you can technically "tune" them but it would require opening up the assembly which I don't plan on doing haha.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Thanks Boardkat. Currently have the diff with me but just need to order the fluids and the install kit. Really surprised how much the fluid was but honestly not so bad considering the interval you change them. Do you know how much fluid I need to order ? Also how did your diff carriage blow ??

Most likely I will go with the gt350 halfshaft s. I'll see if I can find used or see if I can purchase them from Tasca.

What I didn't know about osgiken is that you can technically "tune" them but it would require opening up the assembly which I don't plan on doing haha.
yeah, that OS-250R fluid is liquid gold! if you have an SCCA membership, the best price i've been able to get consistently is from FRSport.

https://frsport.com/OS-Giken-OS011-...ential-Fluid---80w-250---1-liter_p_32847.html

you'll need 3 cans (but don't too much of the 3rd in, or you'll consistently be blowing the excess out the vent in the RR wheel well - ask me how i know!). call them up (no online code to use), tell them you're a racer, give them your SCCA number, and they'll give you a discount that is usually enough to cover the shipping.

forgot to mention that you'll want to run a thinner fluid for break-in first - and don't expect the diff to actually start working until you've got the giken fluid in. will need to check my conversation i had with jonathan about weight/brand.

[edit] found the recommendation:
"As far as oil is concerned, we recommend you use Motul Gear FF 75w-140 for your initial break in (3-4 autox events, or 1000mi)."

i usually change mine at least once a season, but that was due to having a lot of contingency (they don't let you redeem for fluid anymore, unfortunately). depending on how often you drive your car in anger, and how many street miles you put on it, you can probably go longer than that. once it starts growling on low speed turns, it's getting close to the change interval.

diff carriage blew due to the single-shear bolt-in design of the diff cover. snapped two bolts at a prosolo, and ruined my 1pc driveshaft (and my weekend). got some massive 12.9 14mm bolts, drilled out the threads on a new diff cover, and haven't had a problem since.

if you order from the fordparts portal of autonation white bear lake, total price is usually the cheapest around, in my experience:

http://www.fordparts.com/autonationfordwhitebearlake

the out of the box performance of the giken will meet your needs. but if you do want to change clutches/ramps, you can just ship it back to them and they can handle it for you. fwiw, i've done nothing to mine - although with the massive amount of horsepower i'll be throwing at the car shortly, that will probably change :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

ihavefat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12GT/FoST/'16 GT
yeah, that OS-250R fluid is liquid gold! if you have an SCCA membership, the best price i've been able to get consistently is from FRSport.

https://frsport.com/OS-Giken-OS011-...ential-Fluid---80w-250---1-liter_p_32847.html

you'll need 3 cans (but don't too much of the 3rd in, or you'll consistently be blowing the excess out the vent in the RR wheel well - ask me how i know!). call them up (no online code to use), tell them you're a racer, give them your SCCA number, and they'll give you a discount that is usually enough to cover the shipping.

forgot to mention that you'll want to run a thinner fluid for break-in first - and don't expect the diff to actually start working until you've got the giken fluid in. will need to check my conversation i had with jonathan about weight/brand.

[edit] found the recommendation:
"As far as oil is concerned, we recommend you use Motul Gear FF 75w-140 for your initial break in (3-4 autox events, or 1000mi)."

i usually change mine at least once a season, but that was due to having a lot of contingency (they don't let you redeem for fluid anymore, unfortunately). depending on how often you drive your car in anger, and how many street miles you put on it, you can probably go longer than that. once it starts growling on low speed turns, it's getting close to the change interval.

diff carriage blew due to the single-shear bolt-in design of the diff cover. snapped two bolts at a prosolo, and ruined my 1pc driveshaft (and my weekend). got some massive 12.9 14mm bolts, drilled out the threads on a new diff cover, and haven't had a problem since.

if you order from the fordparts portal of autonation white bear lake, total price is usually the cheapest around, in my experience:

http://www.fordparts.com/autonationfordwhitebearlake

the out of the box performance of the giken will meet your needs. but if you do want to change clutches/ramps, you can just ship it back to them and they can handle it for you. fwiw, i've done nothing to mine - although with the massive amount of horsepower i'll be throwing at the car shortly, that will probably change :)
Thank you so much for your information. Basically covers everything haha. Unfortunately I will have maybe 1-2 events after I get the diff installed so hopefully I can get it broken-in in time before the season is over.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
While the diff is out change the rear gears too. For autox outside of FS you need to get 2nd gear into the upper 60s to be competitive.

OP
OP

ihavefat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12GT/FoST/'16 GT
While the diff is out change the rear gears too. For autox outside of FS you need to get 2nd gear into the upper 60s to be competitive.
3.55? Is it really significant ? I am currently on stock power.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
3.55? Is it really significant ? I am currently on stock power.
Pardon, was thinking you had a PP with the 3.73 like me. The 3.55s will work with a higher rev limit tune. I'm on sub 26" dia tires with a stock tune and lose 1-2 secs being stuck between 2nd and 3rd on more open courses; like anything other than a postage stamp lot.

OP
OP

ihavefat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12GT/FoST/'16 GT
Pardon, was thinking you had a PP with the 3.73 like me. The 3.55s will work with a higher rev limit tune. I'm on sub 26" dia tires with a stock tune and lose 1-2 secs being stuck between 2nd and 3rd on more open courses; like anything other than a postage stamp lot.
I do have a PP. I do run out of gear quickly. I just didn't realize how big of a difference the 3.55 would be compared to the 3.73

Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
3.55 vs 3.73 is about 3 mph with short 315/30/18s. Up the limiter to 7500 gets another 6 mph to 66. Still not fast enough in 2nd for national level autox (in CAMC or STP), though. Boardkat and Conedoger will be leaving us in their dust, haha.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
steve already knows this but fwiw, i am on 3.55s. need to run it to 8250 to get the gearing i want (~74 in 2nd on a slightly taller 335/30R18). i don't recommend this path unless you replace the OPG and CSG, or are willing to blow an engine up like i did ;)

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
steve already knows this but fwiw, i am on 3.55s. need to run it to 8250 to get the gearing i want (~74 in 2nd on a slightly taller 335/30R18). i don't recommend this path unless you replace the OPG and CSG, or are willing to blow an engine up like i did ;)
You guys "need" to look at the 2018 10A gearing with the performance pack.

The new stated rev limit is 7500 vs current 7000 so assume an actual 7300.

Third gear on 775 revs/mile RE-71R 285/35x19's is about 74 mph. If the paddle shifters are decent this third gear with the shorter 1st and 2nd could be great for fast course autocross and pro solo. :D Note the 10A PP uses 3.55 gears with a Torsen. Ford info so far shows the current manual trans ratios with the current 3.73 Torsen.

Here are the first 5 ratios assuming the 285/35x19's.

[/url][/IMG]

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
You guys "need" to look at the 2018 10A gearing with the performance pack.
you said 10A. i'm done looking :p
i'm holding onto my last bastion of car control before the robots take over :lol:
fwiw, i won't be on MT82 gearing or n/a coyote power much longer. something about 700whp and 550wtq needing the longer gearing of a magnum xl.... ;)

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
As to the original question I have also broken a halfshaft on stock power. I was drag racing using the launch conteol but I autocross and hdpe also. I upgraded to the GT350 units as they are priced similar to stock. I have a post around here somewere.
Sponsored