Sponsored

BASE GT BRAKES SUCK

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The track to my grocery store,Taco Bell and a trip back to the dealer so far. :doh:
So you expected to see a thermal and longevity improvement (the real benefit of the larger 6-piston 15" PP brakes over the standard GT) on the street? :lol:

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I actually don't mind the stock GT brakes; however, I haven't tracked it yet. Had a few 60-0 tests (one unintentional) and it stopped surprisingly well on the stock 18" wheels with 235/50-18 Pirellis. Going to get some MPSS here soon so I am curious how that will change.

Unfortunately the base GT brakes don't have as many options for pads as the PP or GT350 guys. That reason alone is making me consider a swap. For now, I am going to try to increase cooling air to see if I can keep from cooking my brakes before tracking her. It is a really heavy car so I have a feeling the smaller diameter rotor will fade quicker because I won't be able to reject heat fast enough.

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP
So you expected to see a thermal and longevity improvement (the real benefit of the larger 6-piston 15" PP brakes over the standard GT) on the street? :lol:
Comprehension issues? Who said I expected any of the gibberish you described? And don't laugh at yourself,it's not becoming. Actually,I felt the difference the 1st time I applied the brakes. It was obvious.

Sponsored

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Comprehension issues? Who said I expected any of the gibberish you described? And don't laugh at yourself,it's not becoming. Actually,I felt the difference the 1st time I applied the brakes. It was obvious.
"I can't tell a night and day difference".
"The difference was obvious"

Make up your mind! Unless Ford screwed up your brake bias, you really wouldn't feel a difference. The main benefit of the 6-piston 15" GTPP brakes is a larger pad and rotor to dissipate heat and reduce fade. :thumbsup:

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP

Make up your mind! Unless Ford screwed up your brake bias, you really wouldn't feel a difference. The main benefit of the 6-piston 15" GTPP brakes is a larger pad and rotor to dissipate heat and reduce fade. :thumbsup:
Wow, you couldn't tell,"I can't tell a night and day difference"? Who says that? Obviously I meant,"I can tell a day and night difference". Is that clear?
Don't tell me what I FEEL about driving. Legally since 1967. There is a huge difference between the brakes on my new in 6/17 EB and the PP brakes on my new in 9/17 GT w/PP. You forgot to mention the 6 pot caliper on the Brembos.Huge difference.
Now go find someone else to argue with.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Wow, you couldn't tell,"I can't tell a night and day difference"? Who says that? Obviously I meant,"I can tell a day and night difference". Is that clear?
Clear enough now. But that's why forums like this one give you both a preview-before-submit option and editing capability after the post has been submitted. So that you can ensure that the post says what you mean it to say (this sentence was added on edit).

Now I'm going to try to help figure out the topic, which is what Eritas was trying to do when he asked about what track. Street driving that's anywhere near "normal' isn't nearly demanding enough to tax even stock Mustang brakes.

So was it a difference in 'bite' (more braking power/better deceleration from less pedal effort) that you noticed? If so, you didn't need 6-piston calipers to get it. Just more aggressive pads, as in entry-level track pads. That one mod sure made a difference on my '08, which had even smaller (12.4" front) 2-piston sliding caliper brakes.

No flame intended, but it only takes half a dozen track days for what that kind of using-the-brakes experience can teach you to outweigh the value of all the street driving experience you've ever had and then some. And until you've done a little tracking - at speed on a real race track - braking at that level is really a case of 'you don't even know what you don't know', if that makes sense. Incidentally, I'd been driving (legally, of course) for about three years by the time 1967 came around.

Norm

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So think of it this way:

Tuner Mentality: Let's change something on the car for show and discussion.

Track Rat Mentality: Let's change something on the car to address a specific performance limitation that will enable longer and/or faster sessions.

Some people do both. But on this specific sub-forum, you'll get comments like "thermal and longevity improvement".

The engineering problems behind shedding speed off a 4,000lb car isn't going to be magically "solved" by a couple extra pistons on the caliper. All things the same (including rotor and pad), it won't be easy to measure the performance difference between the two OEM offerings. Suggesting that everyone unconditionally upgrade their front calipers is misleading advice. It'll just make for more expensive trips to Taco Bell.

But like I said earlier, I do think it's a weak part of the platform based on what I seen in the Corvettes and Porsches. They could have given us a *little* bit more room for ducting air from somewhere.

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP
Clear enough now. But that's why forums like this one give you both a preview-before-submit option and editing capability after the post has been submitted. So that you can ensure that the post says what you mean it to say (this sentence was added on edit).

Now I'm going to try to help figure out the topic, which is what Eritas was trying to do when he asked about what track. Street driving that's anywhere near "normal' isn't nearly demanding enough to tax even stock Mustang brakes.

So was it a difference in 'bite' (more braking power/better deceleration from less pedal effort) that you noticed? If so, you didn't need 6-piston calipers to get it. Just more aggressive pads, as in entry-level track pads. That one mod sure made a difference on my '08, which had even smaller (12.4" front) 2-piston sliding caliper brakes.

No flame intended, but it only takes half a dozen track days for what that kind of using-the-brakes experience can teach you to outweigh the value of all the street driving experience you've ever had and then some. And until you've done a little tracking - at speed on a real race track - braking at that level is really a case of 'you don't even know what you don't know', if that makes sense. Incidentally, I'd been driving (legally, of course) for about three years by the time 1967 came around.

Norm
Wow,pretty condescending Norm. Thanks for the inner-workings of forums.Great help.
"Done a little tracking"? My 1st driving school was in the early '80s at Bondurant. I learned quite a lot,as I did in subsequent schools. Maybe before most folks here. One of the many items taught were brakes,not so much about the brakes themselves,at the time,but braking in general. Since that 1st stint 30+years ago,I HAVE learned about the brakes themselves.,both on cars and bikes. That would be bikes with engines.How about you,Norm? Quoting you,"no flame intended".
And BTW,I've been driving legally since 1966,when I was 15.
Again,regarding bite,I noticed the 1st time I applied the brakes,probably moving 5mph when I took delivery.
And if I appeared condescending,oh well. And let me be clear,as you were,again,no flame intended.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Again,regarding bite,I noticed the 1st time I applied the brakes,probably moving 5mph when I took delivery.
It's not 'again' when you say it the first time . . . but at least the vagueness has been cleared up. I think.

Norm

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Sooooooo... If the butthurt and male member measurement contest is about done, anyone wish to continue about the original topic? I have a rather significant interest in this particular topic in that I have the base GT brakes and wish to track my car.

Chameleon point out a solution that I have seen for the base GT which is one of a few. I don't plan on breaking records but I hope to hang around for a few sessions without having to hold back.

To sum it up, I am more concerned about heat generation and rejection than I am bite. But again, I haven't tracked the car yet. Is there some insight on whether it is worth making the base GT brakes work well or is it just polishing turds?

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP

DO NOT MISQUOTE ME AGAIN!
Post 14 stated I can't describe the day & night difference between the base EB brakes and the Brembos.

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP
It's not 'again' when you say it the first time . . . but at least the vagueness has been cleared up. I think.

Norm
DO NOT MISQUOTE ME AGAIN!
You were too lazy to see my original quote that your boy Eritas misquoted.
Post 14 stated,"I can't describe the day & night difference between the base EB brakes and the Brembos".