Possible SCCA run tomorrow. Any tips

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
I haven't done SCCA since early 90's and I sucked. Any tips?

Tire pressure?

I don't know heel to toe, probably doesn't matter on a small course.

Line lock before starting, never even done it.

Back end seems a little bouncy after installing koni yellows, any tips on proper adjustment?

Track mode, sport, no nannies?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
Thanks Tomcat.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Tire pressure?

Back end seems a little bouncy after installing koni yellows, any tips on proper adjustment?

No need to do line lock. The launch isn't that critical, though it depends on the course design. I would set the shocks to about 1/2 turn from soft all around, maybe another 1/4 turn in the back, with the springs you have. You'll be in 2nd gear pretty much the entire time, so no worries there.

Run your pressures at 29-30 before the run. You have enough camber with SP080s to do that. I would turn everything off (hold tc off for 5+ seconds). The car is more predictable with all the nannies off.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Most important: Get there early and walk the course-visualize the best approach to each turn.
Do your downshifting and braking BEFORE each turn.
Look ahead to "where" you want to go.
Be smooth with your shifting, braking and steering input. Smooth is fast-even if doesn't feel like it.
Get some white liquid shoe polish and dab on the outer edge of the front tires where the thread meets the sidewall-after each run see if the pressure is too high/low by how the sidewall is being scuffed. Start with 2-4 lbs over what is in the doorjam label.
Break down the track into 3 sectors-after each run think/figure/visualize where you can improve.(My goal has always been to make run #3 at least 5 seconds quicker than run #1).
If you don't know what trail braking, trailing throttle oversteer, threshold braking + more is-familiarize yourself with what these are. Obviously you can't learn all of this overnight, but the more tips above you can apply and master-the better you will do.

Sponsored

AGM2018

Tire pressure?

Yes, don't stop for coffee and/or donuts on the way and "Take Out" multiple coffee chugging and doughnut binging millenials with your 'Stang as you leave the establishment for your SCAA event...:headbonk::clap2::love:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm assumgin you mean Solo? Have fun!

For Koni Yellows, go ONE turn in the rear and full stiff up front. Go Track mode, no nannies. Full off (TC button for a slow count to 7). Don't bother with line lock unless you're running Hoosiers. What tires are you on? If you're on a max performance tire like the PZeros or the Conti Sports, go 32 rear, 35 front for starts. Tires like RE71R's and such have much better tire walls. Unfortunately with max performance tires it's a hard balance to get with tire pressures. You want the walls to hold up and not roll over too much but the higher pressure doesn't allow the tire to bite as much...gonna have to tune it.

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring

Tire pressure?

1 - I run 28 cold F/R with MPSS; with the P-Zeros, 30 cold. Need to experiment.
2 - Not necessary for auto-x; generally get into second gear and leave it there. Depending on the course, I may start in second.
3 - Generally, out of the box requires a shift pretty soon, so LL is unnecessary. I haven't tried Launch Control but I might depending on the layout.
4 - I have dual adjustable KWs. Front compression is set at -5 off of full stiff; rear is the same; rebound is at -8F and -10R off of full stiff. This permits enough front dive and slow enough rebound to permit the front tires maximum grip; while at the same time permits the rear to lift the inside enough to disengage without losing traction.
5 - I use Track because throttle response is much better.

You said you "sucked" at a/x in the 90s. Don't know why you judged yourself but keep two things in mind: (i) throttle and brake are not on/off switches - more like rheostats - smooth wins; (ii) practice technique such as the limo stop (no chassis rock when stopping - pretend you have passengers having a party in the back) and hand-shuffle steering on the street; don't go over center with hands and be smooth - not jerky (again - passengers partying in the rear). These exercises will teach smoothness which will eventually become second nature and payoff huge on course (auto-x or HPDE). Oh, having fun is highly recommended.
Sponsored