Whats with this Tomei Titanium Exhaust?

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
how does this compare to the mbrp race?
Performance wise I bet most aftermarket exhausts are a wash. It comes down to tone. For tone, no idea. I've never heard an MBRP in person.

I'm willing to bet the Tomei is prettier. The welds are amazing, and done by hand.

I'm interested in how this compares to the Ultimate Racing exhaust as they are the only single exits without going custom. I mostly just want to hear how different (or similar) the two are and if there is any drone on the Tomei.
My COBB exhaust droned more than the Tomei. I really expected this thing to be louder than it is, especially since I have hard the Tomei on many other cars. I was beyond excited when I started my car up after installing it.

With that said though, this exhaust is NOT quiet. If you want a quiet exhaust, look at Magnaflow.

Really don't care about size, weight, or back pressure. I just want this exhaust for the "wa pa pa pa pow!!!" :thumbsup:
:)

Exhaust looks quality but no way in hell can I go to single exhaust!!

Wish there was a dual exhaust version of this :)
I'm with you there. I've been telling those guys for years they need to offer dual can versions. With the 08+ Subarus and Evos being dual can I do think they are missing some big opportunities by not offering it.

I'm still stoked on this exhaust, even with it being single can. Until you have actually felt a titanium exhaust, you dont understand just how light it really is.

What a lot of people here might not know is that Tomei is not some new company. Tomei has been around for 50 years now. They are a Japanese company, and everything is made in Japan. For these exhausts, they are welded by a person and not a machine. The amount of pride those guys have in everything they do is absolutely amazing to me.
Sponsored

FraG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 EcoBoost
I'm with you there. I've been telling those guys for years they need to offer dual can versions. With the 08+ Subarus and Evos being dual can I do think they are missing some big opportunities by not offering it.

I'm still stoked on this exhaust, even with it being single can. Until you have actually felt a titanium exhaust, you dont understand just how light it really is.
Used to ride road bikes so yeah I know how light they were. I still have the titanium headers from my Gixxer 1000, so bloody light. But yeah, unless they do twin, I can't imagine upsetting that aggressive look. Either way, aesthetics aside it does sure look like a nice exhaust.

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
I dig the fact that it's light weight and looks like a quality piece. The price point is ok if it is A-grade titanium. I would like to see this exit on the passenger side rocker panel with a black rectangle tip for an absolutely unique approach.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I dig the fact that it's light weight and looks like a quality piece. The price point is ok if it is A-grade titanium. I would like to see this exit on the passenger side rocker panel with a black rectangle tip for an absolutely unique approach.

That would be cool, but getting the exhaust pipe to the side rocker would require significant modifications to the car. Take a look at this photo:

http://i.imgur.com/X7kOMyO.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rick B

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Last edited:

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I cannot let go of two outlets either, and the blue tips, ugh no, this is not a Honda, even if it sounds like one. The amount of weight they would have had going with duals at 2.5" would not have been that much different, I mean the whole set of pipes I think is like 10 lbs with titanium being so damn light, so there would have been still 25 to 30lbs weight savings with duals.

With that said its not for everyone.

Ronstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium
A warning to the daily drivers wanting this exhaust. I would recommend against it.. I had this exhaust for my genesis coupe r-spec 2013 upgraded with aftermarket tune. The main pipe that connects to the downpipe cracked in half and also the springs constantly broke.

Tomei did replace the pipe under the 1 year warranty which is nice and the sound is awesome. But unless you wanna deal with constant headaches of replacing springs and checking for cracks while daily driving, I wouldn't get this exhaust. They even say in fine text, this is a RACE exhaust, not meant for street on the website selling this version.

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog...rd-mustang-ecoboost-23l-1517-p-151863564.html

Features:
  • Quality Titanium Construction
  • Piping Diameter: 3.15 inches (80mm)
  • Exit Diameter: 3.51 Inches (89.1mm)
  • Total Weight: 13.2lbs (6kg) | Stock Weight: 58.4lbs (26.5kg)
Fitment
  • Ford Mustang EcoBoost 2.3L 2015-2017
Note(s):
  • Pictures Used For Marketing Purposes Only, Actual Product May Vary.
This product is for Racing Competition only and is not legal for use in highway or street vehicles or other non-racing competition off-road vehicles. Purchasing this product requires you to sign our Vehicle Compliance Waiver Here.

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
A warning to the daily drivers wanting this exhaust. I would recommend against it.. I had this exhaust for my genesis coupe r-spec 2013 upgraded with aftermarket tune. The main pipe that connects to the downpipe cracked in half and also the springs constantly broke.

Tomei did replace the pipe under the 1 year warranty which is nice and the sound is awesome. But unless you wanna deal with constant headaches of replacing springs and checking for cracks while daily driving, I wouldn't get this exhaust. They even say in fine text, this is a RACE exhaust, not meant for street on the website selling this version.

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog...rd-mustang-ecoboost-23l-1517-p-151863564.html

Features:
  • Quality Titanium Construction
  • Piping Diameter: 3.15 inches (80mm)
  • Exit Diameter: 3.51 Inches (89.1mm)
  • Total Weight: 13.2lbs (6kg) | Stock Weight: 58.4lbs (26.5kg)
Fitment
  • Ford Mustang EcoBoost 2.3L 2015-2017
Note(s):
  • Pictures Used For Marketing Purposes Only, Actual Product May Vary.
This product is for Racing Competition only and is not legal for use in highway or street vehicles or other non-racing competition off-road vehicles. Purchasing this product requires you to sign our Vehicle Compliance Waiver Here.
vividracing puts that disclaimer on all of their exhaust. See the Full-Race Street version:
https://www.vividracing.com/catalog...t-23l-with-oem-downpipe-1516-p-151469893.html

Note(s):
California Residents: This product does not have a CARB EO #; it is not legal for sale or use in CA on pollution controlled motor vehicles. This is intended as a "Race Only" product to be used solely for competition. It's use is limited to closed-course and open-course racing that is formally sanctioned by a recognized racing organization; any other use including recreational off-road use, may be a violation of local, state and federal laws. It is the buyer's responsibility to verify legal use of this product for the intended application and use.
This product is for Racing Competition only and is not legal for use in highway or street vehicles or other non-racing competition off-road vehicles. Purchasing this product requires you to sign our Vehicle Compliance Waiver Here. :first:

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I cannot let go of two outlets either, and the blue tips, ugh no, this is not a Honda, even if it sounds like one. The amount of weight they would have had going with duals at 2.5" would not have been that much different, I mean the whole set of pipes I think is like 10 lbs with titanium being so damn light, so there would have been still 25 to 30lbs weight savings with duals.

With that said its not for everyone.
True, the EB is not a Honda. It is a 4 cylinder Mustang.

I say the exhaust is not for everyone also. It is just for the people who owns a 4 cylinder car...:ford:

Sponsored

Ronstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium
vividracing puts that disclaimer on all of their exhaust. See the Full-Race Street version:
https://www.vividracing.com/catalog...t-23l-with-oem-downpipe-1516-p-151469893.html

Note(s):
California Residents: This product does not have a CARB EO #; it is not legal for sale or use in CA on pollution controlled motor vehicles. This is intended as a "Race Only" product to be used solely for competition. It's use is limited to closed-course and open-course racing that is formally sanctioned by a recognized racing organization; any other use including recreational off-road use, may be a violation of local, state and federal laws. It is the buyer's responsibility to verify legal use of this product for the intended application and use.
This product is for Racing Competition only and is not legal for use in highway or street vehicles or other non-racing competition off-road vehicles. Purchasing this product requires you to sign our Vehicle Compliance Waiver Here. :first:
Maybe they do, but my warning is for daily drivers and I have experienced that this exhaust breaks springs and has cracked and broke at the cat mid pipe section using the car as a daily driver. The exhaust, when not broke works great, however I wouldn't trust it for that application (daily driver) due to those reliability issues.

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=10786]smdandb2[/MENTION]

How did you connect the exhaust to your downpipe? Did you step down to the 2.25" or mod something that will be 3" all the way? Just wondering, I got my exhaust in yesterday and I will start my install next week when I start my vacation. Any Pictures or Videos will help out...:D
Thanks,

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
[MENTION=10786]smdandb2[/MENTION]

How did you connect the exhaust to your downpipe? Did you step down to the 2.25" or mod something that will be 3" all the way? Just wondering, I got my exhaust in yesterday and I will start my install next week when I start my vacation. Any Pictures or Videos will help out...:D
Thanks,
So I actually went to a muffler shop and had them cut me a piece of 3" pipe and flare the ends out to fit over another 3" pipe. This allowed the cp-e downpipe to connect to the Tomei catback. I think the length I had them make it was 9".

This was another one of those things I advised Tomei of, but I think at the point I got my exhaust they were already in production of the units. In the video though, they do tell you to modify the stock downpipe adapter to fit other downpipes. I think that comment was a direct result of my feedback to them.

I was lucky with the cp-e downpipe because it has no stupid v-bands or any other crazy shit on the end. It went right to the stock location, which is what the Tomei exhaust wants.

OP
OP
Rick B

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Everyone says their exhaust doesn't drone or it's negligible. I'm here to tell you most of them are full of shit. In my search for an acceptable exhaust system I've been in a few cars now that the drivers themselves say their car doesn't drone, and bam a 2k the drone starts. I don't know if people won't admit their system drones, or they don't know what drone is/sounds like. But I am still looking.

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
Everyone says their exhaust doesn't drone or it's negligible. I'm here to tell you most of them are full of shit. In my search for an acceptable exhaust system I've been in a few cars now that the drivers themselves say their car doesn't drone, and bam a 2k the drone starts. I don't know if people won't admit their system drones, or they don't know what drone is/sounds like. But I am still looking.
Good luck.

Drone is a side effect of increasing the exhaust volume. I don't think I have ever been in a car with a louder aftermarket exhaust that did NOT drone a bit.

It's the price of admission, especially on a turbocharged car.

With that said though, the Tomei is quieter than the COBB turbo back exhaust I had on my car... somehow.
Sponsored