RaceCapture/Pro MK3

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Slowly getting all the parts. As I install and configure everything I'll do my best to share the result on this thread.

Let me know if any of you have any questions.
Sponsored

OP
OP
F0J

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Are you doing the telemetry version?
I think telemetry can mean different things here, but my plan is to send live data to Podium via my iPhone which will be connected via Bluetooth to the box.

(Say, compared to someone on radio talking to me about the numbers while I drive)

My Racecapture/Pro does not have the built-in GSM component.

Questions very welcome - you want to see my crappy driving in real time? (haha)

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
OP
OP
F0J

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
This was the info I was after. ... Dave
Out of curiosity, why is the onboard GSM important to you?

I ask because this is the first time I'm doing this sorta thing and I might have easily missed something important. I figured it was redundant when using the phone's GSM.

Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Out of curiosity, why is the onboard GSM important to you?

I ask because this is the first time I'm doing this sorta thing and I might have easily missed something important. I figured it was redundant when using the phone's GSM.
The GSM is something as an HPDE guy I do not see much value in but as a full on race car doing door to door racing having everything integrated into a single package is a simpler route to go for the installation and hopefully reliability of the data system.

Having the car start and connect automatically to the dash, pit crew and potential sponsors is something I see value in. I deal with connection issues, GPS, phone apps and power issues on my car at every event because it is at an HPDE. At a race there is too many other things to worry about other than is my phone charged and in the car so I can connect to the logger and send out data.

Dave

Reactions: F0J
OP
OP
F0J

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I was looking for a quick and dirty place to put the RC box in a way that nothing needed to be removed or drilled. So I fabricated two pieces of 1/4" plywood measuring 4" 3/16 by 4" 7/8 and traced out where I could screw it in place:

Note that I had to re-drill two new outside holes on the right board because they were too close to the frame.

I bought a RJ45 coupler to extend the wire from the OBD port. I ordered two shift lights that I'll be wiring in the future. I'm slowly configuring my phone(s) to display something useful.

Note that if you're using OSX/iOS, the default/as-shipped firmware might not be compatible with the latest phone app. So you might have to update the firmware to an older version (or just use Windows/Android as I did).

OP
OP
F0J

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
OP
OP
F0J

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So it turns out that wire harnessing is a lot of work to get right.

I finally installed one of the non-CAN lights that are currently configured for shifting. I plan on putting two of these, each in my turn-in line of sight. I tested the CAN lights (aka ShiftX2) and got that sorted out.

This Friday is the last open track day for the season and I hope to have video and some interesting data. Not sure if I'll get around to configuring most of the custom Ford PIDs.

It took quite a few trips to the (online) electronics store to get everything I needed. I didn't expect high spec wire to cost so much (Manitoba winters).

Stay tuned.

OP
OP
F0J

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I wasn't feeling well so the driving is slow. The rain line that was suggested to me was a little weird too. The lateral Gs are upside down. I read online that the steering angle and brake applied PIDs exists but I couldn't figure them out in time (yet!).

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]T4CpD46l_8c[/MEDIA]"]

Sponsored

Kado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H4866
Question for you, is there any reason that you didn't try the RaceCapture/Track?

OP
OP
F0J

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Question for you, is there any reason that you didn't try the RaceCapture/Track?
Custom sensors and gauges. Having said that, now that I know the work and cost involved in making a custom wire harness, I might have gone with the Track originally.

The ShiftX2 (I was originally thinking of reverse engineering a MoTeC CAN shift light) is such good value for what it can do.

There's a couple problems using the phone for that kind of thing. The first is lag i.e. the time it takes to soak up a PID from your OBD and send it to your phone. The second is that phones are expensive. The third is that phones aren't as bright as a dedicated light. Etc.

Ultimately, after the simple shift light, I'll be wiring up at least 1 ShiftX2, IR sensors on the tires and probably figuring out how to program brake bias down the road.

(Also I realized that I won't be getting much track time so doing all this manual stuff is "fun" for me)

Kado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H4866
Custom sensors and gauges. Having said that, now that I know the work and cost involved in making a custom wire harness, I might have gone with the Track originally.

The ShiftX2 (I was originally thinking of reverse engineering a MoTeC CAN shift light) is such good value for what it can do.

There's a couple problems using the phone for that kind of thing. The first is lag i.e. the time it takes to soak up a PID from your OBD and send it to your phone. The second is that phones are expensive. The third is that phones aren't as bright as a dedicated light. Etc.

Ultimately, after the simple shift light, I'll be wiring up at least 1 ShiftX2, IR sensors on the tires and probably figuring out how to program brake bias down the road.

(Also I realized that I won't be getting much track time so doing all this manual stuff is "fun" for me)
Nice. I can understand that. The IR sensors for tire temp are always something I wanted to do but never really had a need for.

Reason I was asking is that I have the /Track and it works great for AutoX. Headed into my first track day with it and looking forward to some good data.

Great looking setup you have.

OP
OP
F0J

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Nice. I can understand that. The IR sensors for tire temp are always something I wanted to do but never really had a need for.

Reason I was asking is that I have the /Track and it works great for AutoX. Headed into my first track day with it and looking forward to some good data.

Great looking setup you have.
If you decide to go with the Pro, I will happily help you out with both the hardware and software configuration.
Sponsored