Sponsored

"Rear Axle Differential Temp Increased, Decrease Speed" warning

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I had the same thought. I'm sure they don't want it hanging lower to keep it away from any possible debris, but I'd rather have a bigger gap than that
A bigger gap really isn't needed. You just need enough to pull air through with the fan.
Sponsored

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Pay to play . Low volume, high quality .
Agree...but I don't need a full solution to run hours non stop...just something to last a little longer. Maybe this is required to get a full hpde session I don't know...

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
That price with the included diff cover and high quality pump and everything is pretty fair price, IMO

Sponsored

S550Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT base performance pack
It is a good price, and its a good kit. Dont want to pay for it then dont buy it. Why complain about it

Jeffy_2010

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt 6-speed/ performance pack Oxford white
Compared to the only other option on the market currently which is the gt350 diff cooler, their price is a steal

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
So...new ngauge firmware update includes rear diff temp readings. Haven't played with it to see what else us new. Hopefully oil temp.

ResoundingYes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
current: 2016 370z NISMO, former:2013 Mustang GT Track Pack, Cortex, Eibach, Forges
Just read this whole thread: whew!

It's been 1 year since the last update (2017). I don't see larger capacity / finned diff coolers available from any of the vendors that posted here, and the only cooler kit appears to be from full tilt boogie (good on them!).

I'm thinking about buying a '19 PP Mustang, but the Camaro 1SS 1LE weighs heavily on my mind.

If I bought the Mustang, I would prefer more of a passive cooling system (no pumps, wires) or to know that a larger finned diff cover works.

I'd be interested in hearing from folks if there will be larger/finned diff covers on the way.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Dont know if it is just cooler weather but I did wrap the exhaust pipes about 1 foot each side of the rear diff and ran the hell oout of her on the Roval course at Cal Speedway. Not even a flicker from the diff light

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
If there was a finned diff cover, it'd me minimally effective, if at all, and one thing that these aftermarket finned covers don't do (typically) is maintain the curved shape of the diff cover, which helps with fluid flow and sling. Instead, they make a big square block (that holds more fluid, typically) but ignore that the fluid needs a low resistance environment with appropriate space to flow. Cooler fluid means nothing if it's not circulating over the components its lubricating.

Your best solution is a diff cooler. Or buying a 1LE.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
Just read this whole thread: whew!

It's been 1 year since the last update (2017). I don't see larger capacity / finned diff coolers available from any of the vendors that posted here, and the only cooler kit appears to be from full tilt boogie (good on them!).

I'm thinking about buying a '19 PP Mustang, but the Camaro 1SS 1LE weighs heavily on my mind.

If I bought the Mustang, I would prefer more of a passive cooling system (no pumps, wires) or to know that a larger finned diff cover works.

I'd be interested in hearing from folks if there will be larger/finned diff covers on the way.

yeah i'm kind of surprised there isn't a finned one either but then again many of the aftermarket finned truck ones are rubbish. guessing though that the complexity of the standard cover would make the finned one an expensive casting. i downloaded a model of the ford 8.8 to play around in ANSYS with adding in fins but getting an accurate load case is difficult

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
293F seems pretty hot for a diff.

I have a 2016 non-PP GT with auto trans (no diff warning system). I wrapped my exhaust around the diff, put in 140wt, and put on a temp sticker of range 250 - 320F.

Had an all-day track day, of pleasant 75F ambient temp. The temp sticker didn't even register the first dot. :shrug:
20170825_213917.jpg
20170819_123204.jpg

Where did you get that diff cover with the cooler provisions?

TwinReverb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
A finned cover would not help much. Nearly half of the diff sits in the cradle. Not to mention the movement the differential has in the cradle with the factory bushings.

My journey of tracking and the diff temp sensor on my 16GTPP. I received the light the first time on the car in nearly stock form(only a SW catback). This was mostly due to hot lapping the car. Car sat for only 5 mins and then it was back out on a short track.

After that I changed the fluid to amsoil (factory equivalent weight) and wrapped the exhaust. Never got the temp warning again until I did long tube headers.

My thought is that the cats on the factory system were holding a lot of the heat. Hence why I also found melted wire looms when removing the factory exhaust manifold/cat near the placement of the cat.

With the long tube headers, stiffer suspension(shocks, springs & sway bars) I was getting the temp sensor to hit after about 12-13 mins of a session at Hallett Mortor Raceway in June. Granted it was warm that day, with a high of 90°. I believe the long tubes with no cats and minimum restriction is allowing more thermal energy to travel down the system. Also the fact that the suspension got a bit stiffer could play into things as well.

Nonetheless I came the conclusion that it was necessary to add a cooler.
I ordered the Full Tilt Boogie Kit during their Black Friday special. Everyone I have seen use it has seen great results.

If I was contemplating a new PP1 or PP2 I would first change the fluid to amsoil 75w-140 and wrap the exhaust. Nothing permanent, overly substantial, or costly. Then go do a couple of track days and see if you get the prompt to come up.
Sponsored