NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
The MyFord Touch (Sync 2) screen is definitely a resistive screen (you can tell by the slight 'give' in the screen when you press). It also only supports two touch points, versus the 10 touch points in the Sync 3 screen.
We'll just have to disagree on that. Maybe mine is somehow different but there is no give on my Sync 2 screen, it feels like glass. Like I said, if you have regular gloves on, you can press as hard as you want and the screen will not work. Then I bought special gloves for capacitive screens and it works easily now.

Also, when you say 2 touch points or 10 touch points, what are you talking about? I can touch all over the screen.
Sponsored

ydoucare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
The MyFord Touch (Sync 2) screen is definitely a resistive screen (you can tell by the slight 'give' in the screen when you press). It also only supports two touch points, versus the 10 touch points in the Sync 3 screen.
Yeah, MFT/Sync 2 on the 2015 does not have a capacitive touch screen. It is resistive.

We'll just have to disagree on that. Maybe mine is somehow different but there is no give on my Sync 2 screen, it feels like glass. Like I said, if you have regular gloves on, you can press as hard as you want and the screen will not work. Then I bought special gloves for capacitive screens and it works easily now.

Also, when you say 2 touch points or 10 touch points, what are you talking about? I can touch all over the screen.
He's referring to simultaneous touch points. You might want to check that you have the same unit as us, because my 2015 w/MyFord Touch definitely has a resistive touch screen.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, MFT/Sync 2 on the 2015 does not have a capacitive touch screen. It is resistive.

He's referring to simultaneous touch points. You might want to check that you have the same unit as us, because my 2015 w/MyFord Touch definitely has a resistive touch screen.
OK now that multiple people say I have a resistive screen I believe you... No wait, I still don't so lets just get past the screen itself. It's nice to know about the simultaneious touch points, not sure why it's important though. I can't think of 1 time I touched my screen in more than 1 place at a time.

So no real usable features then I guess? Just a different screen for some people and easier free upgrade if Ford ever does one?

m.a.s.e

Ninja
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maserecordingstudio.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB
OK now that multiple people say I have a resistive screen I believe you... No wait, I still don't so lets just get past the screen itself. It's nice to know about the simultaneious touch points, not sure why it's important though. I can't think of 1 time I touched my screen in more than 1 place at a time.

So no real usable features then I guess? Just a different screen for some people and easier free upgrade if Ford ever does one?
The biggest change is allow enablement for Android Auto and Apple Car Play.
there is no real comparison, AA and CP are superior.
Use of Music Apps (such as Google Play Music, Amazon Prime Music) etc.
Ability to use Google Maps, Waze or other navigation software.
A much more refined and polished interface.
Using Google Assist instead of Ford built in voice.

Its not "Blackbery" as in the devices you are thinking of....
Its BlackBerry QNX.
Read this, it will help explain:
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...umping-microsoft-for-blackberry-s-qnx-os.html

Then read this for the screen differences:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/differences-capacitive-resistive-touchscreens-si/

Hope this helps clarify, ultimately if you don't care for AA and CP and u are happy, then stay with what u got.
For the rest of us, Sync 2 is garbage (In our opinion) and Sync3 was a major improvement, but was still garbage until AA and CP was enabled. Now it's a completely different head unit.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
The biggest change is allow enablement for Android Auto and Apple Car Play.
there is no real comparison, AA and CP are superior.
Use of Music Apps (such as Google Play Music, Amazon Prime Music) etc.
Ability to use Google Maps, Waze or other navigation software.
A much more refined and polished interface.
Using Google Assist instead of Ford built in voice.
I have an iPhone so I guess it would just be the built in Apple music I use already and for assist, I can just use Siri. I looked into it before and was told you can't use Waze, just the built-in Apple Maps. Waze would be VERY nice!

Its not "Blackbery" as in the devices you are thinking of....
Its BlackBerry QNX.
Read this, it will help explain:
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...umping-microsoft-for-blackberry-s-qnx-os.html
That certainly is different, I never heard about that and it would certainly limit any support for Sync 2 going forward I'm sure. Like I said though, I've lost faith in Ford doing ANY updates. I remember when I bought my iPhone 4 a long time ago. I was sure Ford would at least add support for THE most popular phone on the planet but no...

That's pretty much my understanding of the 2 screens. Again, I'm certain mine is capacitive. I tried to use a stylus when it was new because of the finger prints on the screen. A stylus won't work, it had to be my finger and I barely have to touch it. Plus like I said, it won't work with regular gloves on.

Hope this helps clarify, ultimately if you don't care for AA and CP and u are happy, then stay with what u got.
For the rest of us, Sync 2 is garbage (In our opinion) and Sync3 was a major improvement, but was still garbage until AA and CP was enabled. Now it's a completely different head unit.
I was really hoping there was some apps or usage that Apple Car Play added that would make it worth the expense of upgrading but it sounds like that's not the case. Maybe even if I didn't already have Nav, adding that would make it worth it but I really don't see it being worth the expense I guess. Thanks for the info though, I really appreciate it.

Sponsored

ydoucare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
That's pretty much my understanding of the 2 screens. Again, I'm certain mine is capacitive. I tried to use a stylus when it was new because of the finger prints on the screen. A stylus won't work, it had to be my finger and I barely have to touch it. Plus like I said, it won't work with regular gloves on.
That's really odd. Seems extra odd they'd vary it even within the same production year.

m.a.s.e

Ninja
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maserecordingstudio.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB
That's really odd. Seems extra odd they'd vary it even within the same production year.
Sync2 MFT is resistive, always was.
Ony way it wasn't if it was aftermarket, but then if it is aftermarket its not MFT sync2.
Only Sync 3 is the first time Ford put in capacitive

ydoucare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
Sync2 MFT is resistive, always was.
Ony way it wasn't if it was aftermarket, but then if it is aftermarket its not MFT sync2.
Only Sync 3 is the first time Ford put in capacitive
I know, just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, as he seems positive his is capacitive.

jbailer, did you buy your Stang new?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I know, just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, as he seems positive his is capacitive.

jbailer, did you buy your Stang new?
Yes. Definitely not aftermarket. If some day when I get my car back from Ford and I find out it's resistive, I'll come back here and admit it. So many seem convinced maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I got those gloves because of my phone, not my screen in the car. Either way that isn't enough to go spend $1,700 either. The touch screen has never been an issue for me.

Sponsored

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
Yes. Definitely not aftermarket. If some day when I get my car back from Ford and I find out it's resistive, I'll come back here and admit it. So many seem convinced maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I got those gloves because of my phone, not my screen in the car. Either way that isn't enough to go spend $1,700 either. The touch screen has never been an issue for me.
2015 model=sync2=resistive screen

Even if it was a capacitive screen, sync2 would not take advantage of the technology (specifically the pinch to zoom feature).

The hardware cost to upgrade to sync3, to me, is not worth the hassle.

After upgrading my sync 3 to enable AA and CarPlay, I find them both lacking in polish and features. I actually find CarPlay more frustrating than AA. At least with android auto I can still control separately what is displaying on the phone apart from what is displaying on the sync screen. With CarPlay, whatever app is playing on the screen displays on the phone. For example, let's say you are showing Pandora on the screen in the car and you want to show Waze on your phone. From what I have seen you cannot do that because as soon as you start Waze up on your phone it changes the sync screen to show the application icons.if Waze was an actual CarPlay application it would then also switch the sync screen to show it at the same time.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
AA and CP are property of Google and Apple respectively. Each one takes control of your APIM and runs software from the phone.
lol Im aware of that, I thought you were saying Ford is no longer responsible for pushing the actual update out that enables AA and CP
Sponsored