Sponsored

Magnaflow X pipe

HarryG702

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 silver GT
Hey whats up guys I recently picked up a new 2017 GT a few days ago. Today I just had my mufflers deleted and sounds a lot better but when I was at the shop they were offering to do an X pipe with just a generic magnaflow x pipe and just weld it up. Now i trust and know these guys and their work is amazing just didn't know if I should just get an x pipe say from American muscle that is "made" for our cars or would it hurt me if I went with the magnaflow?? :shrug:

thanks!
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hey whats up guys I recently picked up a new 2017 GT a few days ago. Today I just had my mufflers deleted and sounds a lot better but when I was at the shop they were offering to do an X pipe with just a generic magnaflow x pipe and just weld it up. Now i trust and know these guys and their work is amazing just didn't know if I should just get an x pipe say from American muscle that is "made" for our cars or would it hurt me if I went with the magnaflow?? :shrug:

thanks!
The cut & clamp X-pipes made for our car generally will flow better than the stamped generic ones. Big difference? No. It'll make it A LOT louder (at least twice as loud) if you delete the resonator in favor of an X-pipe, though.

OP
OP

HarryG702

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 silver GT
okay cool thanks! Now when I get nguage and tune later down the road which way would be better??

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The cut & clamp X-pipes made for our car generally will flow better than the stamped generic ones.
That's not true. I'll have to find this magazine article. They took a built fox body, 5.0L 302ci, and dyno tested 6 x-pipes, h-pipe, and no crossover on the same vehicle, same dyno, same day. One of the x-pipes was a universal no name. Out of all 6 x-pipes, there was at most only a 2-3HP variance throughout the entire power-band between all 6, which was within the margin of error.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's not true. I'll have to find this magazine article. They took a built fox body, 5.0L 302ci, and dyno tested 6 x-pipes, h-pipe, and no crossover on the same vehicle, same dyno, same day. One of the x-pipes was a universal no name. Out of all 6 x-pipes, there was at most only a 2-3HP variance throughout the entire power-band between all 6, which was within the margin of error.
Did you see the very next thing I stated? "Big difference? No." I would agree that the difference between them will be close to the margin of error. The 5.0L fox also didn't rev to 7,000+ rpm. That's a lot more flow rate. That said, when you get a look at some of them on the inside, you would be surprised that it wouldn't make a difference (especially if you've studied any fluid mechanics). The best stamped generic one out there that I've seen is the Jones SXP4SS.

poorfortune

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
'16 Base GTPP - Deep Impact Blue
Magnaflow has a resonated x pipe that is made for these cars. Cjpony is the only place to get it
CJ is the only one with a prebuilt one, but Magnaflow sells the resonated x separately. My local shop quoted me on installing one.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Did you see the very next thing I stated? "Big difference? No." I would agree that the difference between them will be close to the margin of error. The 5.0L fox also didn't rev to 7,000+ rpm. That's a lot more flow rate. That said, when you get a look at some of them on the inside, you would be surprised that it wouldn't make a difference (especially if you've studied any fluid mechanics). The best stamped generic one out there that I've seen is the Jones SXP4SS.
You say not a big difference, I say there's no difference in terms of performance when compared to a universal x-pipe such as the Jone's x-pipe you mentioned. The only difference is the x-pipes designed for our vehicles will be easier to install. Anything else stated is purely marketing hype.

BradleyMac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Lincoln MKC & 2010 F150
I have the Mishimoto GT Pro Axel Back with the Heartthrob H pipe. The sound is absolutely awesome, a very deep growl, no rasp just a deep bubble or two when your off the throttle after high revs. However, it is just a little on the loud side for me in the neighborhood, livable but definitely gets attention when your on the throttle. So I'm looking at a way to variably control or install the subject CJ Pony Magnaflow Resonated X pipe which appears to be a direct fit for the current H pipe. In this regard I believe replacing the simple H pipe with this Magnaflow should reduce the db level and make it perfect. If I pull the trigger I'll let everyone know my feelings. Does anyone else have thoughts in this regard?

Or is anyone aware of any variable tune inline pipes that might work in place of the H pipe? I'd like to keep the all out db levels as it currently sounds, but be able to tone it down for the cold starts and neighborhood drive. Wondering if something like this might work https://www.maperformance.com/products/varex-remote-controlled-sport-muffler-round-w-2-5-outlet as it appears to be close to pure flow through with the valves wide open. I know it would take a little to install but I'm not afraid of a little welding and work. Open to any comments, or advice. Cheers.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Mishimoto GT Pro Axel Back with the Heartthrob H pipe. The sound is absolutely awesome, a very deep growl, no rasp just a deep bubble or two when your off the throttle after high revs. However, it is just a little on the loud side for me in the neighborhood, livable but definitely gets attention when your on the throttle. So I'm looking at a way to variably control or install the subject CJ Pony Magnaflow Resonated X pipe which appears to be a direct fit for the current H pipe. In this regard I believe replacing the simple H pipe with this Magnaflow should reduce the db level and make it perfect. If I pull the trigger I'll let everyone know my feelings. Does anyone else have thoughts in this regard?

Or is anyone aware of any variable tune inline pipes that might work in place of the H pipe? I'd like to keep the all out db levels as it currently sounds, but be able to tone it down for the cold starts and neighborhood drive. Wondering if something like this might work https://www.maperformance.com/products/varex-remote-controlled-sport-muffler-round-w-2-5-outlet as it appears to be close to pure flow through with the valves wide open. I know it would take a little to install but I'm not afraid of a little welding and work. Open to any comments, or advice. Cheers.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91701&page=2

See above.

Weld these in behind the H crossover:
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1527_1032_1054&products_id=290

Sponsored

BradleyMac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Lincoln MKC & 2010 F150
BmacIL et al, with experience with the Magnaflow X-Pipe Tru-X Resonator for the 2015 - 2017 GT. As I've noted above in this thread my current set up sounds fabulous, but is just too loud. I'd prefer to not have to cut my H Pipe (so I can keep it whole for other possible variations). But depending on the answer to my questions I just may have to cut it (if I go with the Vibrant 12" in line resonators).

So my questions are. If I simple remove my H pipe and replace it with the CJ Pony Magnaflow X-Pipe Tru-X Resonator direct clamp in. I know the volume will reduce very likely to a comfortable level. However will it change the tone dramatically ie: my H pipe vrs the resonated magnaflow X?

I hear so many comments about the H vrs X (when referring to pipe only versions) and that the H gives a deep muscle car rumble but the X is more of a Euro raspy sound. But this Maganflow is a resonated X pipe, so does this resonated X combo enable the X to remove the rasp but still keep a deep muscle car H pipe tone??? :shrug:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
BmacIL et al, with experience with the Magnaflow X-Pipe Tru-X Resonator for the 2015 - 2017 GT. As I've noted above in this thread my current set up sounds fabulous, but is just too loud. I'd prefer to not have to cut my H Pipe (so I can keep it whole for other possible variations). But depending on the answer to my questions I just may have to cut it (if I go with the Vibrant 12" in line resonators).

So my questions are. If I simple remove my H pipe and replace it with the CJ Pony Magnaflow X-Pipe Tru-X Resonator direct clamp in. I know the volume will reduce very likely to a comfortable level. However will it change the tone dramatically ie: my H pipe vrs the resonated magnaflow X?

I hear so many comments about the H vrs X (when referring to pipe only versions) and that the H gives a deep muscle car rumble but the X is more of a Euro raspy sound. But this Maganflow is a resonated X pipe, so does this resonated X combo enable the X to remove the rasp but still keep a deep muscle car H pipe tone??? :shrug:
It won't be raspy but will be a little more high pitched. I think H sounds great down low but X much better up top. H pipes sound unrefined, like straight pipes, once the revs go up.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
and per magnaflow the res x pipe might be a few inches shorter then the stock res. so welding extension pipe might be needed to make it mate up.. i talked to a mag rep about it a month ago

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
and per magnaflow the res x pipe might be a few inches shorter then the stock res. so welding extension pipe might be needed to make it mate up.. i talked to a mag rep about it a month ago
Not quite right. It was made a couple inches longer than most of the cut and clamp X/H pipes available, which directly replace the resonator. It fits just fine, no welding.