Sponsored

The big Intercooler thread.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
I just need to find a good deal on a used MAP street so I can put it on my wifes Ecoboost. She drives that thing like she stole it.
I emailed MAP saying I was debating between theirs and CPE (MAP was $550 and CPE was $499), which I was. My thing was I preferred an IC that was proven could be installed without removing the bumper. Since CPE is a tad bigger, there was no proof it could have been. MAP had a video of them installing it without removing the bumper so it was more reassuring. So anyways, after contacting MAP, they gave me an invoice so I could get the MAP street for $499 shipped. Idk what ur price range is but thats my experience.
Sponsored

FraG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 EcoBoost
I got the MAP Street and must say looks like a nice quality unit. Though I did find a couple metal shavings stuck in the grill so I am hoping that there aren't any inside!

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
There is another intercooler on the market ...........
61Z6ITUsiSL._SL1000_.jpeg

Sponsored

FraG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 EcoBoost
No offense but why would you try and save $100-150 on critical component when you get the real one ... my feeling its a USA car, stick to USA parts :p

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
"No offense,"always used when the road block to narrsasism above is driven down,Well no offense Ive got two turbo pushrod cars going together as we speak,one 7 sec q16 x275 car and one e85 x235 car.As far as intercoolers are considered most of the air to airs available for the ecos are strait fuc$#ing junk,so dont think your getting to picky,unless your spending 1000.00 and up for a "Real"core your buying junk too,pretty cast end tanks dont me shit to me. "No offense that is anyways lol
So you are saying levels, MAP, CPE all make bad FMICs because they dont cost $1000? No offense, but you are off your trolley. A known brand stage 1 FMIC like MAP, CPE, etc perform just fine on these cars for street use. The welds are nice quality, and they do their job. If you want to race, go Levels or ATM. Neither one of those units cost $1000 and are the best on the market for these cars.

Mustang Mikes Queen Creek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Id buy the atm before I tried anything else,but thanks for assuming,Im sure with the cores that everyone's using its not much of a difference,short of a very small cheap mishimoto core.If a water to air comes out before to long Ill go that route.

Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
I think there is Brand loyalty at play with all of these After market parts that have been thrust upon us consumers .. brand loyalty is silly .. look at these . Wagner , N52 tune , there is another out of Arizona ..
Even turbo piping is hit and miss .. I agree with [MENTION=24767]Mustang Mikes Queen Creek[/MENTION]

Last edited:

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I don't know if you want to call it brand loyalty more than calling it supporting companies that actually do R&D for our platform and produce parts based on that.

Buying Chinese knockoffs hurts the companies who actually are spending money designing parts for this platform (or any platform really).

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
What hurts U.s companies is keeping our dollar worthless by printing trillions of unregulated fed reserve dollars,At the rate they are printing it kills the supply vs demand theory and throws it in the toilet.I would love to buy everything american,I cant afford to use my what was once considered great pay and use it to invest in 150.00 per hour functioning costs.More then likely the cheap but better looking cores are all comming from china,you just get better thicker end tanks.Most companies outsource no matter what the advertisment says.

Pretty soon people wont be able to afford outsourced parts, wont be long and we will be paying 20.00 a bottle for a pepsi.Wonder where our stock intercoolers are made?

Need data on all the intercoolers,data thats not fudged for sales.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
What hurts U.s companies is keeping our dollar worthless by printing trillions of unregulated fed reserve dollars,At the rate they are printing it kills the supply vs demand theory and throws it in the toilet.I would love to buy everything american,I cant afford to use my what was once considered great pay and use it to invest in 150.00 per hour functioning costs.More then likely the cheap but better looking cores are all comming from china,you just get better thicker end tanks.Most companies outsource no matter what the advertisment says.

Pretty soon people wont be able to afford outsourced parts, wont be long and we will be paying 20.00 a bottle for a pepsi.Wonder where our stock intercoolers are made?

Need data on all the intercoolers,data thats not fudged for sales.
Do some searching. I've posted data on the Levels unit. There's plenty of people, in addition to me, that has posted real world user data on the various intercoolers out there. And now, I'm curious.

What brand would you recommend for an intercooler and what core would be up to your standards?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Whatever has good data,I havent taken the time to upload close up pictures of the core channel overlays,My understanding from what ive gathered on pushrod stuff is the finer and more overlapped the core material the better they cool,But there is a downside to the tighter thinner core material,it flows less air past the cooler (from the outside)and into the radiator so my theory is the better the intercooler,the more restrictive they are passing air through to the radiator,so id think the better core the better the radiator should be as well.

1) It would be nice to see stacked tests,quality intercooler with stock radiator,then quality intercooler with a quality aftermarket radiator.

2) Descent but cheaper core intercooler with a stock radiator and/or quality radiator and compare the data.

Id think the water temp would still rise with a quality intercooler and stock radiator,which could hamper some of the positve effects of a quality intercooler core,ie timing. Ultimately the best affordable intercooler,with a bad ass radiator and e30 or race gas blend would yield the best results.Cant really give you a solid answer other then what ive seen with adder pushrod builds.

Best guess atm,trendstone,I know tune+ offers a descent (affordable)piece as well.
Sponsored