Gauges Mounted Behind Shifter

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
I Have been looking for a tiny OBD2 gauge to put out of the way when I stumbled across the AEM SEMA car.

I'm sure others have seen this already, but I have searched and haven't found anyone who has mounted thier gauges like this. I don't need 3, but was wondering if anyone has done this and if so how it is working out for them....

sema-2015-top-honda-products-aem-x-series-gauges.jpg

aem-2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost-07-shifter.jpg

aem-2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost-11.jpg
Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I would think that most decent car stereo shops could mount the gauge of your choice in that location...

OP
OP
Traffic22

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
They kind of just look wedged in there, that's why I was wondering if anyone had done it or something similar...I was curious how they were actually mounted

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
They kind of just look wedged in there, that's why I was wondering if anyone had done it or something similar...I was curious how they were actually mounted
Sure does seem to be a shortage of info in general on aftermarket gauge mounts/pods for the s550. Supposing that more and more will show up. Not that I'd go for that one you posted as my first choice, but would also be cool to see more info on it. Would love to see some steering column options some day.

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Maybe they just use a piece of strap that fastens across all 3 gauge's mount posts to tie them all together at the back. It looks like the console would have to be slid back to slide all gauges together, after sensor and power connections, into the pocket.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I like the shot of the AEM gauges by the shifter. Good find. I could see gauges like that in one of my Mustangs.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I would think that most decent car stereo shops could mount the gauge of your choice in that location...
I know the one I worked at could - and does that all the time. :headbang:

Actually, instead of just laying them in there, I would have made a trick pod that takes up thew hole pocket area and houses the gauges. Make it look sweet. Cost $$$$ to do that, haha.

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I wouldn't like them down there. Too hard to see.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
would not like having to look down away from the road for gauges seems silly. gauge pod on the pillar or ontop of dash

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Gauges are useful to a point assuming that you have them to allow you to keep an eye on the health of the engine.

The problem is no one can always be looking at the gauges, even if they're on an A-pillar pod, much less if they're down there in the cubby hole behind the shifter.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any gauge unless you could set a warning chime or light when a parameter of your choosing is hit.

I used to have a Dashhawk that I'd set to 3 or 4 degrees of Knock Retard as a warning as an example. That way I could focus my vision on driving and not be staring at the gauge ... a chime or flash would be enough to catch my attention and back off and know the tune needed tweaking or whatnot.

Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
That's one thing I complained about the Camaro...has all of them gauges in front of the shifter, specially the oil pressure one which is the only one I care about.

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
I would love to have a production quality column pod that centers the gauge in front of the center screen on the cluster.

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Just say no

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
OP did say he was looking for an out-of-the-way location for what's apparently a little-used gauge. Got that part nailed . . .

But that still begs the questions of how usable even a little-used gauge becomes when it's hard to see and why even have it if it's hard to use.

Rebellion's mention of the Camaro's gauges is exactly what came to my mind when I first read through this topic.

If it was my car and the gauge was displaying information that I had much intention of ever looking at, I'd be sorely tempted to put it just off the upper right corner of that screen in the center stack.

Norm

Pesti13nce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Base manual
is it weird that the first thing that came to my mind was "where would I put my change"?
Sponsored