Sponsored

MBRP Race Exhaust Review

DontoMelbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future EB Vert
I love the CP-E intercooler, I definitely feel a big difference. I'm in florida and sometimes I could literally feel the engine pulling timing. Pulls would stop at around 4000rpm and the car would fall on its face. I have no tune and it definitely woke up the stock tune. Someone did a dyno comparison chart in the CP-E thread awhile back with dyno numbers. CP-E intercooler will retain up to 60hp at the top of the rev range. I plan on tuning but just have warranty concerns.
Sounds like you should do the Ford Racing ProCal Tune!
Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Does anyone have the MBRP with a 3" resonator of some kind in it? I liked the tone of the exhaust but the vibrations at highway cruising speed were so bad I couldn't stand it any more and went back to stock. I was thinking about putting a 3" vibrant resonator where the stock one is and seeing if it helped calm it down some.

Ronstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium
What downpipe can you pair up with this exhaust at a later time if needed?

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Does anyone have the MBRP with a 3" resonator of some kind in it? I liked the tone of the exhaust but the vibrations at highway cruising speed were so bad I couldn't stand it any more and went back to stock. I was thinking about putting a 3" vibrant resonator where the stock one is and seeing if it helped calm it down some.
Honestly I think there is no need for that. As I said I do not find the "drone" annoying at all, on the contrary. Maybe it has something to do with the way the exhaust system was installed? Or maybe it's simply a matter of taste... But I read on another thread that you can try and combine the MBRPs with the stock resonator or, as you suggest, try a vibrant resonator (it's cheap to buy). It's a trial and error process though...

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
What downpipe can you pair up with this exhaust at a later time if needed?
I do not know. I am currently looking into that. There are several options for catted downpipes. I am considering the following ones:

-cp-e QKspl
-Full Race Prostock
-MAPerformance EBM
-Mishimoto

I do not know if it is necessary to add a tune. I am on a project of updating the exhausts (already installed the MBRPs), intercooler and downpipe in order to get more hp and torque, without having to tune my engine, because of warranty concerns.

Having already the MBRP catback 3" exhaust system on my EcoBoost, are there any ideas on the approximate hp and torque that I would get just by adding a downpipe or if I combine everything with an intercooler (all of it without a tune)?

Maybe someone can help with this.

Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Honestly I think there is no need for that. As I said I do not find the "drone" annoying at all, on the contrary. Maybe it has something to do with the way the exhaust system was installed? Or maybe it's simply a matter of taste... But I read on another thread that you can try and combine the MBRPs with the stock resonator or, as you suggest, try a vibrant resonator (it's cheap to buy). It's a trial and error process though...
There is definitely a need for it to me. I'm suspecting the drone isn't nearly as bad with an automatic car, but its really, really bad. I had it on the car for a little over 2000 miles and I now have multiple permanent rattles on the interior. I've had some seriously loud cars over the years but none of them made my teeth vibrate like this thing does going up a hill.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
There is definitely a need for it to me. I'm suspecting the drone isn't nearly as bad with an automatic car, but its really, really bad. I had it on the car for a little over 2000 miles and I now have multiple permanent rattles on the interior. I've had some seriously loud cars over the years but none of them made my teeth vibrate like this thing does going up a hill.
I understand, although I do not have the same experience at all... Maybe because my Stang is an automatic? But again I do not see what the difference would be. I guess you should look for a 3" resonator.:shrug:

Last edited:

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I do not know. I am currently looking into that. There are several options for catted downpipes. I am considering the following ones:

-cp-e QKspl
-Full Race Prostock
-MAPerformance EBM
-Mishimoto

I do not know if it is necessary to add a tune. I am on a project of updating the exhausts (already installed the MBRPs), intercooler and downpipe in order to get more hp and torque, without having to tune my engine, because of warranty concerns.

Having already the MBRP catback 3" exhaust system on my EcoBoost, are there any ideas on the approximate hp and torque that I would get just by adding a downpipe or if I combine everything with an intercooler (all of it without a tune)?

Maybe someone can help with this.
You will need a tune for the DP. You will not need a tune for the catback and intercooler. Also the DP will definitely be a concern for warranty unless your dealer is very friendly and turns a blind eye to it.

The catback and intercooler should be fine. The catback does almost nothing for performance gain, it's just sound. Don't believe all the marketing hype you see with manufacturer's dyno sheet claimed gains. They could tint the windows and show a gain if they want to. As for the intercooler, it's a safety thing. You could easily force that if they gave you a problem with it. Under normal/light load, the intercooler isn't going to be much different than the stock. Under heavy load when the turbo is pumping heat, the more efficient intercooler will control the charge air temps to prevent detonation. I can't imagine their argument there, your engine blew because the air didn't get hot enough?

The DP is a complete different story though. If you replace the DP with a freer flowing one, you'll have problems. I'm not sure how to find the old threads here for reference but when the platform was new and the DPs were just being released, that was a natural place for people to go to increase performance and people quickly realized the need for tune. I know one of the obvious symptoms was blowing smoke out the exhaust. I think I remember something about it causing problems with seals too. Sorry can't help more, I just decided to skip that so never looked at it close.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
You will need a tune for the DP. You will not need a tune for the catback and intercooler. Also the DP will definitely be a concern for warranty unless your dealer is very friendly and turns a blind eye to it.

The catback and intercooler should be fine. The catback does almost nothing for performance gain, it's just sound. Don't believe all the marketing hype you see with manufacturer's dyno sheet claimed gains. They could tint the windows and show a gain if they want to. As for the intercooler, it's a safety thing. You could easily force that if they gave you a problem with it. Under normal/light load, the intercooler isn't going to be much different than the stock. Under heavy load when the turbo is pumping heat, the more efficient intercooler will control the charge air temps to prevent detonation. I can't imagine their argument there, your engine blew because the air didn't get hot enough?

The DP is a complete different story though. If you replace the DP with a freer flowing one, you'll have problems. I'm not sure how to find the old threads here for reference but when the platform was new and the DPs were just being released, that was a natural place for people to go to increase performance and people quickly realized the need for tune. I know one of the obvious symptoms was blowing smoke out the exhaust. I think I remember something about it causing problems with seals too. Sorry can't help more, I just decided to skip that so never looked at it close.
Thanks jbailer

juan_tony1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
ECO DIB TANG
I installed the MBRP Race exhaust system a couple of days ago. Great sound - my Stang now growls! IMHO this is one of the best (if not the best) exhaust systems out there for the EcoBoost. On idle the sound is deep and when you simply "touch" the throttle you can hear a low growl coming out of the car. When you go WOT, it gets wild! But this is what you want, isn't it? Definitely love the sound, it's a different car - a head turner!

Below I post a YouTube video that I made. I have to tell you though, in reality the MBRPs sound significantly better than on video (not only mine, but any video that I have seen on YouTube).

This must be the revised version(new version) I bought mine when it first came out and in no way possible could we get mine to line up as good as yours. Ended up taking mine off due to my single scroll turbo amplifying all the noises in cabin. Now that I changed over to a twin scroll turbo option it has mellowed the tone back down so I'm willing to try the mbrp again. Just hate how bad it fits.

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
This must be the revised version(new version) I bought mine when it first came out and in no way possible could we get mine to line up as good as yours. Ended up taking mine off due to my single scroll turbo amplifying all the noises in cabin. Now that I changed over to a twin scroll turbo option it has mellowed the tone back down so I'm willing to try the mbrp again. Just hate how bad it fits.
Yeah, there was no problem at all lining them up when I had them installed. Isn't there any way to correct the shape of yours somehow? And the sound is really a pleasure listening to. As I said, I do not use the stereo any more!

Just a question: single scroll turbo on a Mustang EcoBoost?

juan_tony1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
ECO DIB TANG
Yeah, there was no problem at all lining them up when I had them installed. Isn't there any way to correct the shape of yours somehow? And the sound is really a pleasure listening to. As I said, I do not use the stereo any more!

Just a question: single scroll turbo on a Mustang EcoBoost?
Yeah it was the first version of the vtt which was pretty laggy(single scroll), but they made a twin scroll for it and now it spools much quicker. Also I put the mbrp back on took it for a test drive and now remember how much I hated the drone:frusty: going to a muffler shop asap to get a muffler put on it. I used to love it with my stock downpipe and now that I have a catless it's just too much for me.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I understand, although I do not have the same experience at all... Maybe because my Stang is an automatic? But again I do not see what the difference would be. I guess you should look for a 3" resonator.:shrug:
Gearing and powerband is the difference, TBH after I drove an automatic EB recently I regret getting the manual. My problem is going 70 on cruise I run at ~1700RPM in 6th, its just too low of an RPM especially for going up hills and the car is actually physically painful to my ears with the MBRP race under those conditions, the whole cabin resonates with this ungodly low tone that is well beyond irritating (unplugging the ANC helped some but not fully). An A6 would have just shifted to 5th or whatever while still maintaining cruise.

I love the sound of it under all other circumstances, but unfortunately I drive 70 miles a day for work and I use the cruise, I just can't stand that super low resonation I get. I was hoping adding the resonator might help some.

Last edited:

Berstuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP M/T Competition Orange
Gearing and powerband is the difference, TBH after I drove an automatic EB recently I regret getting the manual. My problem is going 70 on cruise I run at ~1700RPM in 6th, its just too low of an RPM especially for going up hills and the car is actually physically painful to my ears with the MBRP race under those conditions, the whole cabin resonates with this ungodly low tone that is well beyond irritating (unplugging the ANC helped some but not fully). An A6 would have just shifted to 5th or whatever while still maintaining cruise.

I love the sound of it under all other circumstances, but unfortunately I drive 70 miles a day for work and I use the cruise, I just can't stand that super low resonation I get. I was hoping adding the resonator might help some.
non pp car?

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
Yeah it was the first version of the vtt which was pretty laggy(single scroll), but they made a twin scroll for it and now it spools much quicker. Also I put the mbrp back on took it for a test drive and now remember how much I hated the drone:frusty: going to a muffler shop asap to get a muffler put on it. I used to love it with my stock downpipe and now that I have a catless it's just too much for me.

Maybe it has also something to do with the catless downpipe you use? I am not using one but I hear they can be noisy.
Sponsored