Automatic Braking

TTA365

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2010 Audi S5, 2011 Vert Vette
So looking to get a 2018 GT loaded, but this bundled automatic braking function has me concerned. First, can it be switched off? Secondly, on other cars to date, have there been complaints? I don't know about you, but from time to time, have raced up upon the ass end of another car to make a lane change. Not saying it is right or safe, and do not condone the manuever, but it happens. I don't need the stupid car to max apply brakes because it thinks me knows nothing. So where are we at with this? I like the idea of blind spot assist, but it is bundled with this other sheet. First post here on the forum, you folks are great, and a 2011 Vert Vette, 2010 Audi S5 owner asking the questions.
Regards,
Sponsored

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
So looking to get a 2018 GT loaded, but this bundled automatic braking function has me concerned. First, can it be switched off? Secondly, on other cars to date, have there been complaints? I don't know about you, but from time to time, have raced up upon the ass end of another car to make a lane change. Not saying it is right or safe, and do not condone the manuever, but it happens. I don't need the stupid car to max apply brakes because it thinks me knows nothing. So where are we at with this? I like the idea of blind spot assist, but it is bundled with this other sheet. First post here on the forum, you folks are great, and a 2011 Vert Vette, 2010 Audi S5 owner asking the questions.
Regards,

I have it on my 2017.

1. It can be turned off
2. It has three sensitivity levels. I left mine on "Normal" which was the default.
3. I like it - it doesn't take over, but rather helps you to stop if needed. It hasn't interfered with quick lane changes for me.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
I have it on my 2017.

1. It can be turned off
2. It has three sensitivity levels. I left mine on "Normal" which was the default.
3. I like it - it doesn't take over, but rather helps you to stop if needed. It hasn't interfered with quick lane changes for me.
where is it on the 17? it's not on the Fully Loaded CS 16
There is a collision warning, which "primes" the brakes
heads-up display and warning noise, and if you touch the brake it brakes as if fully depressed.

It can cause issues, has done it to me a few times, when not needed, but does not affect the travel of the car

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Pre-18 cars don't have the same system, that system is only an alert and primes the brakes. The new system in the 18s will actually stop the car for you, and from my understanding of the owner's manual, can't be turned off completely. There's 3 different sensitivity levels and IIRC the low setting actually won't prevent a crash, just lessen it's severity. So I would hope that setting won't intervene unless you're actually at a point of no return. Lane keep assist can be turned off completely though.

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
I have no info on the system in the new Mustang, but I will relate a story I read in a car magazine a year or so back. Journalist was on a freeway doing around 70 when a small plastic bag (think Wal-Mart sack) blew across the highway right in front of him. The car went into full ABS panic braking to avoid the plastic bag. Luckily no other cars were behind him.

That's an option I'll pass on.

Sponsored

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Pre-18 cars don't have the same system, that system is only an alert and primes the brakes. The new system in the 18s will actually stop the car for you, and from my understanding of the owner's manual, can't be turned off completely. There's 3 different sensitivity levels and IIRC the low setting actually won't prevent a crash, just lessen it's severity. So I would hope that setting won't intervene unless you're actually at a point of no return. Lane keep assist can be turned off completely though.
Correct. I was mistaken and misread.

OP
OP
TTA365

TTA365

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Where are we at with this Automatic Braking Function, does not anyone have relative or friend or someone with and Engineer at Ford, who can give us the the down-low on this function, it's implications and ways to defeat it (if necessary).

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I like the system on my 16', but as other's have said, it does not apply the brakes, but rather primes them and gives a warning tone and red lights on the heads up display. It's a good feature for a daily driving but I would not want it to automatically apply the brakes. I would like to figure out how to modify the heads up system for a shift light, apparently the GT350 shift lights are based off the heads up display used on the forward collision system on the GT's, or so I've read.

OP
OP
TTA365

TTA365

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I could be wrong, but me thinks the 2018 iteration of same is a bit more intrusive than in your model year cars. Perhaps not. Yet, perhaps same, and if so a real world concern beyond the previous model years in it's potential to create problems. Problems we would all agree to, if it's shitty and intrusive, and cannot be defeated.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
There is good information in the pdf version of the owners manual starting on page 180.

FYI to me this practice means you NEED this option before you kill somebody
I don't know about you, but from time to time, have raced up upon the ass end of another car to make a lane change. Not saying it is right or safe, and do not condone the manuever, but it happens. I don't need the stupid car to max apply brakes because it thinks me knows nothing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

2veloce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS PREM CONVERTIBLE AT
I have yet to understand how the Automatic Braking Function will stop on a slick surface or worn tires. All demonstrations I have seen are on dry surfaces.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I have yet to understand how the Automatic Braking Function will stop on a slick surface or worn tires. All demonstrations I have seen are on dry surfaces.
I'm not following you. It doesn't do anything you can't do yourself. So yeah, if your tires are so worn or the surface so slick nothing in heaven or earth can keep you from crashing into something, then this won't either.

2veloce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
I'm not following you. It doesn't do anything you can't do yourself. So yeah, if your tires are so worn or the surface so slick nothing in heaven or earth can keep you from crashing into something, then this won't either.

From the Drivers Manual the brakes will be automaticity applied in 2018 without driver action?:shrug:

2017 COLLISION WARNING SYSTEM (If Equipped) page 168

The collision warning system’s brake support can only help reduce the speed at which a collision occurs if the driver applies the vehicle’s brakes. The brake pedal must be pressed just like any typical braking situation.

2018 Using the Pre-Collision Assist System page 181

Active Braking: Active braking may activate if the system determines that a collision is imminent. The system may help the driver reduce impact damage or avoid the crash completely.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
What he said. The main purpose is to initiate braking if/when the driver doesn't start braking either due to inattention. Assuming the other nannies are active the system will slow the car as rapidly as physics allows in order to avoid a collision. Now all we need is a defensive system to take evasive action from impending collisions from the rear from drivers who aren't paying attention, etc.

2veloce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
What he said. The main purpose is to initiate braking if/when the driver doesn't start braking either due to inattention. Assuming the other nannies are active the system will slow the car as rapidly as physics allows in order to avoid a collision. Now all we need is a defensive system to take evasive action from impending collisions from the rear from drivers who aren't paying attention, etc.
Agreed, my comment is directed to unusual road surface conditions or vehicle tire conditions.
Sponsored