Sponsored

Work from home. New Mustang a waste?

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Like the title says, I work from home. I don't drive much during the week. I have a '14 Jetta 1.8 that is paid off. I have to keep that since I lend it to my older parents for 4.5 months out of the year when they are 6 hours north of me(saves them huge rental car $).

Test drove a '17 PP and loved it. It would just sit parked a lot. I would take it when I go bowling which is a fun backroad trip. And it would be my primary car for 4.5 mos out of the year. I have an '05 Focus for that now, which I'd sell.

I don't know. Seems like a bit of waste. On the other hand, if I commuted in traffic everyday, no way I'd drive a PP Mustang either. I'd be taking my auto Focus.

I was offered a new '17 PP for $29700 before TTL. It had 120 mi on it which sort of turned me off (I know, picky). And now it's listed for $31,xxx.

Anyone else work from home and have the PP as a SECOND vehicle?
Sponsored

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I worked from home for almost 5 years and took the mustang out and about. But, I've pretty much always had a mustang anyway ... I don't think it's a waste as long as you'll enjoy driving it.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Not far off. I work a short commute and use my PP as a second vehicle. I run a 2003 diesel auto Volvo as the daily yr round car in all weathers. This keeps the miles off the mustang which lives in a dry heated garage.
However like you the mustang comes out for long trips to see my parents 4 hrs away, and for the summer months when it gets more regular use. The mustang has not left the garage now for over a month so you could argue it’s a waste of money. Only you can decide if your proposed use case is financially sensible.

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
work from home? i would still find an excuse to drive... printer out of paper? head out to office depot. coffee machine is out? bummer... road trip to the nearest starbucks... in the next town over.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
Why drive a Mustang GT, when you have a Jetta.:lol:

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
lol you are reaching for an excuse op.

work from home, self employed here with 2 kids in back everyday checking in.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Why drive a Mustang GT, when you have a Jetta.:lol:
The Jetta 1.8 has its own merits:
Great on gas
0-60 in 7.3 isn't crazy slow in the real world
Leatherette seats are awesome and are superior to the base Mustang seats as far as comfort goes IMO.
32K miles and not a single issue.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lol you are reaching for an excuse op.

work from home, self employed here with 2 kids in back everyday checking in.
I know. Please talk me out of it. :hail:
And I don't even have any kids (or will).

Sponsored

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
I have an AMC Gremlin but I still drive my Mustang.

I live in the frozen tundra of the North where I can only use mine 6 months out of the year. Is that a waste, too? Sounds like you just need an excuse to drive it more. Get a hobby. Get a girlfriend. Go to McDonalds!

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have an AMC Gremlin but I still drive my Mustang.

Sounds like you just need an excuse to drive it more. Get a hobby. Get a girlfriend. Go to McDonalds!
LOL. I have 2 main hobbies: running and bowling. Running hardly requires driving as I just walk out the front door usually (I'm a mile from the trails). Bowling drive is a great one. My g/f has a V6 Charger and she thinks it's really fast :crazy:

I do live in SoCal so the weather is awesome.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I just bought a ‘17 GT, its our 4th car. I also have a BMW convertible and my daily is a Subaru while my wife drives a Q5 and she works from home. Strictly financially, yeah stupid, but YOLO..

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I don't work from home but my pp gt has become more of a dailey driver than my dailey driver. Since I bought it I put 17.5k on it and only 15k on my truck so I guess the mustang and I are WINNING!:first:
Sponsored