Sponsored

Got my personal plates. What do you think?

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I also can't stand front plates, but what I find even harder to take is dealerships that put front plates on (even in states that don't require them) just so they can advertise their dealership!!! :rant:

I've made it a point to mention to any salesman that if I go to take delivery of a car and it has a front plate on it... the deal is off! I know you can plug the holes, but you shouldn't have to.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Front plates are for traffic cameras so they can catch you speeding and running red lights.
Front plate requirements pre-date traffic cameras by . . . several decades.

If anything, it'd be so a "car of interest" could be more positively identified or described by an officer travelling in the opposite direction.

Norm

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I like that, very cool.

I love Texas plates, just black and white. Nice and simple. It would make having to run a front plate a bit more palatable.

DevilDocAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V6 but it’s neato

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Who cares? It's just a plate. You can't see it while driving, and the dude that checks out your car will still check out the car regardless of whether there is a plate or not. If it's that big of a deal, paint it to match your car so it looks better? :D

BLSTOIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Got pulled over in a Cobra in Ohio for no front plate. Cop didn't even care about it, never told me to get one or to fix it, just wanted to search the car for drugs.

Osvic@N4SM

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
I've always gone without front plates and just dealt with it (warnings, tickets, etc.) I hate the way front plates look. But, when I traded my GT500 on this GT it already had the bracket on the front so I decided to get vanity plates and run a front plate. At first I was going to put PROCHRG or something related to the supercharger. I thought COYOTE would be cool but was already taken. Then I remembered the TV show Hardcastle and McCormick when I was a kid and they ran a COYOTEX plate on their car.
So far several people seem to think it says COYO TEX. (I suppose that's at first glance seeing they're Texas plates.) I may just get tired of explaining it and change the plates back. Car was dirty from all the rain but I took a quick picture with the new plates anyway.
I wish California had plates like Texas! Looks good brotha!

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I don't usually run my front plate but I do keep it inside of the car with me. I have the Sto-N-Go. I went to the VA State fair Saturday which is LOADED with state cops on the way in and every where else. Not a single one said anything to me. The only thing they commented about as I was driving by was if they could trade cars with me. I did put it on when I left out because I wasn't feeling as lucky. I ended up getting pulled over later that night by a town cop and he ran up front to check to see if I had one so I probably would have gotten ticked then if I didn't.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BFord1

BFord1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
A flash from the past - The Coyote X. Thanks for the video I had forgotten what the car looked like.

OP
OP
BFord1

BFord1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The black Texas plates are special order but worth it to me since I've got one on the front. I've been pulled over several times for no front plate. I even got stopped once for having the front plate in the window. It usually results in warnings not tickets. But, I didn't need another reason to get pulled over.
One nice thing I have noticed on more of a specialty vehicle is that the dealerships often don't put the front plate on even though it's requited. I got my GT500 in Texas and it was never drilled for front plates so I never installed them. (This fact got me out of at least 1 ticket). If I ordered a Shelby or Bullitt or something more special than my plain ol' GT I'd be pissed if the dealership put a front plate on it.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
My first reaction......ugh....poor bastard w front plate required. Then I read your whole post....still can't get it in my head why state requires a front plate.
in IA they are required but I do not run one. Got stopped by a State Trooper on a rural highway a couple weeks ago and hit with a ticket $87. I hope he felt good keeping the world safe from me and my evil no front plate car. Every other car has some fool texting while driving, but I am the danger with no plate....

I still will not run one, on ticket in 1.5yrs is pretty good.

They tried to remove the requirement here last year but the county sheriffs association and the State Patrol all complained. They pulled the Amber Alert card - "if there is an Amber Alert and there is no front plate it makes it harder for us to see the bad guy".

Davez17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Lightning Blue
Here in WI, we are required to have 2 plates. Now when I ordered my 17 GT, I asked if they would not install the front plate as I didn't want some 17 year old kid drilling holes in my front bumper. The new car manager told me, "We don't install them on any of the mustangs, you know, because those buyers are a little more finicky than the normal car buyer!"

So my GT does NOT have a front plate!! Until I get stopped, then I will use my wife's line "We go this car from IN and I guess they never put it on when we were there." It has worked 2X for her.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Honestly it just looks like your plate is saying something about Texas since Texans are completely obsessed with talking about Texas and letting people know about how proud of Texas they are because they live in Texas.

Teck-sass.
Sponsored