Sponsored

heel/toe down shifts with big feet

ChristianDev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT MT
Idk if any of you have this problem but for me its very awkward trying to twist my foot in this way. I end up usually using heel for brake and toe to blip the throttle even though it should be the opposite. I can never be very smooth or precise like this. What do you guys do? Maybe just more practice?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Idk if any of you have this problem but for me its very awkward trying to twist my foot in this way. I end up usually using heel for brake and toe to blip the throttle even though it should be the opposite. I can never be very smooth or precise like this. What do you guys do? Maybe just more practice?
Practice. I do the roll the foot over method, so about half my foot is on the brake. I wear a size 13.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Definitely use the side of your foot, not the heel. I have no mods to the pedals and do it that way all the time without issue. If you've got big feet you're gold.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
Use both halves of your foot. Size 13 here, no issues. Left half on brake pedal, right half blipping the throttle. Takes some practice.

Abb0nz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
So many of you with size 13!!! You lot weren't born... you were launched!!!!

Hahahahaha

Sponsored

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
ugh. i feel tiny in this group with a 11.5 shoe size. combined with the often touchy pedal because of the brembos my attempt at heel and toe often ends in tears for me.

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
Size 15 here. I'm way too awkward to try any heel/toe nonsense. I'd need a track and an instructor first.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
ugh. i feel tiny in this group with a 11.5 shoe size. combined with the often touchy pedal because of the brembos my attempt at heel and toe often ends in tears for me.

Yeah for sure. I think its the stock pads that causes that, they have huge initial bite, great at big speed but not so much around town. Need to find some fronts with a little less initial bite.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Yeah for sure. I think its the stock pads that causes that, they have huge initial bite, great at big speed but not so much around town. Need to find some fronts with a little less initial bite.
I switched my pads to the Power Stop Z23s, which have less initial bite. This gives me more pedal travel to adequately gauge pressure on the pedal. I also put plastic spacers behind the accelerator assembly to give it additional height, to lessen the difference between the pedals. I use the half foot/roll method for heel/toe, and I'm able to do it well, consistently. The PP pads have too much bite and not enough pedal travel to engage consistently.

JR

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Steeds heel toe pedal helps a lot. I have size 12s and couldn't heel toe this car worth a dang til I put the heel toe pedal on.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It's not really "heel & toe". It's ball of foot on the brake pedal, and whatever is left blipping the throttle.

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
Size 13 too ... I suck 50% of the time ... just practice I guess. Love it when it is perfect, wife hates it always.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
It's not really "heel & toe". It's ball of foot on the brake pedal, and whatever is left blipping the throttle.
This.. Make sure the ball is on the brake securely, and whatever you can do to blip after that is ok.

I like a slightly wider gas pedal to make it easier (but I'm only a size 10).

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
With size 14's I have tried using the sides of my feet and I always feel like I can't reach/will slip off. In the year's of driving a manual, this is something I still just can't get down. Feels super awkward with big feet. I also wear boots a lot so without being able to really feel the pedals I just never took the time to learn.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It's hard to do on the street, with light brake and throttle inputs. Easier to do on the track. Definately not heal and toe anymore (term is carried over from the old days, when the pedal order was different), more like ball and blade.

Some spacers and different pedals are around to make it easier, but at least some of them look like they would compromise doing it right at the track (when it really matters) to making it easier on the street.
Sponsored