Transmission 12v. Pump thermo control

Jmk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350
Does any one have any suggestions, apart controlling the pump of the switch, how to activate the pump on predetermined temp. The only item I found is a inline fitting from Delare. https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/der-35020.jpg?rep=False
According to reviews on Amazon. It doesn't seam that it works all the time. Apart from drilling the case, like tony did, or Weldon pump is there any other solution. Thanks.
Sponsored

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
inline temp sensor won't work because of no flow at least for turn on.

Reactions: Jmk
OP
OP
Jmk

Jmk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350
I was thinking putting it right below the drain. I tought the heat transfer would be sufficient. Either way I don't think I want to use that item due to poor reviews. Any suggestions?

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Too bad we cant use the sensor thats already there

OP
OP
Jmk

Jmk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350
Agreed

Sponsored

User5.2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS3
I have been investigating the same issue without success. So I am planning on putting a switch inside the car with the following strategy:
- for short drives around town, the trans does not need cooling.
- for longer drives, like on the highway to work, I will turn on the pump.
- And by having the switch directly connected to the fuse box, I can run the pump even if the car is off, for in-between track sessions if desired.

My theory is based on the fact that the trans temp takes time to increase, so short drives are not an issue and messing with the switch on long drives is reasonable. Feel free to shoot holes.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Another Idea

In the same boat here. Another very interesting idea if you are comfortable with the pump running all the time is to have the fluid bypass the cooler until it reaches a desired temp, unfortunately only two temp options available that I could find are 165 and 180, I would prefer it to start cooling at 150.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...ing-products&gclid=CNj4iI_BkdQCFVEHhgodDsQByA

or the more expensive option:

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-t...uct_search&utm_source=googleproductsearchusen
thermostat.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jmk

Jmk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350
In the same boat here. Another very interesting idea if you are comfortable with the pump running all the time is to have the fluid bypass the cooler until it reaches a desired temp, unfortunately only two temp options available that I could find are 165 and 180, I would prefer it to start cooling at 150.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...ing-products&gclid=CNj4iI_BkdQCFVEHhgodDsQByA

or the more expensive option:

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-t...uct_search&utm_source=googleproductsearchusen
tought ran thru my mind. But at that point, at least for me, I think switch might be better. Seams Tony's, drilled case and thermostat, set up seams to the best solution it's just so expensive.

Last edited:

boss doc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 ford Mustang Shelby GT350
The guys at FPP recommend Weldon 9200 pump. It can be purchased with a thermostatic switch. I believe it is listed as the 9200A kit and I have found it on Amazon for $476.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
The guys at FPP recommend Weldon 9200 pump. It can be purchased with a thermostatic switch. I believe it is listed as the 9200A kit and I have found it on Amazon for $476.
Interesting idea, but doesn't turn on until 196 F.

Sponsored

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Problem with inline thermostat is they will turn off when cool, but with no flow won't turn back on in time. I would use a switch that is wired to key on circuit and hot all time, with double throw switch and a idiot light. That you can use as cool down at track, run with the car on , or off for cold weather, and it will be cheap. Idiot light will remind you to turn off an not kill battery.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Problem with inline thermostat is they will turn off when cool, but with no flow won't turn back on in time. I would use a switch that is wired to key on circuit and hot all time, with double throw switch and a idiot light. That you can use as cool down at track, run with the car on , or off for cold weather, and it will be cheap. Idiot light will remind you to turn off an not kill battery.
This is a great idea, probably the best non-thermostat option I've seen. Another benefit of a hot all time option is you can turn it on to prime system when filling transmission with fluid (safely without having car or ignition on), makes it real easy.

OP
OP
Jmk

Jmk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350
Another item that can be added is a relay. Have the relay be controlled/switched by the ignition at that point u will be safe. It will never run without the ignition being on. So battery will always be safe. Also the switch can be added to manually turn off the pump if desired

Last edited:

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A relay would be ok if you feel you can't find circuit that you want to add the 6amp draw on also add an in line fuse. Hook the idiot light after the fuse. I have not looked to see if ford gave us any extra wiring for add-ones. No more cigarette lighter circuit to tap?

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Can't a thermo controlled switch be wired to a hot circuit so it can cool between runs the same way a radiator cooling fan can stay on after the engine is shut down?

If a manual switch is used, does anyone know a place to wire through the firewall without drilling?
Sponsored