Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Explain. I don't understand. A 3.7 V6 feels like a 5.0 V8 with a couple cylinders chopped off? Fundamentally any engine X that is more powerful than engine Y feels like a more powerful version of engine Y, because it is.
He's talking about the shape of the powerband. The 5.0's power curve is similar to the 3.7's, just more powerful at all points.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Let me preface by saying that I have nothing against the V6, so I'll try to sound as unbiased as possible.

MPG: Depending on your driving habits the difference isn't so big unless you get the Ecoboost. On 5.0 I get 15-16 mpg, without skip shifting or using 6th gear (mostly city driving), usually shifting at around 3-3.5k because sound! Before I had exhaust, you could barely hear a peep when just cruising in 5th or 6th. I haven't even had a chance to test out a longer highway trip so I can't comment on that. All I can say is that my wallet doesn't really suffer all that much as I thought it would being my first V8.

M6 vs Auto: Can't discredit the auto, it's great. If you like rowing gears like I do, get the manual. Auto is a good option as well, I've only driven a manual V6 not auto, however I have driven an auto EB, and 5.0. Tranny didn't feel like the typical slush box of ye olden times and was more responsive that I'm used to, and a great choice if you plan on going to the strip. Manual holds up well but could use some improvements, luckily readily available through the various vendors. So in my opinion you can't go wrong with either. Though some say if you get manual with 3.73 it can be a drag because of the shorter gearing. I didn't find it a problem when I test drove a PP. I did end up going with a base model and 3.55 rear end though as a balance between 3.31 and 3.73 and its great. Also I know you mentioned about difficulty with shifting from 1-2 smoothly. The car will actually hold the appropriate RPM for the next gear when you push the clutch in for the next gear, not sure if you noticed that. The clutch can be made likable via spring mod/delete as well.

Overall I don't think you'd regret getting either because the S550 is a sexy car, but in my opinion if you plan to keep it a while I'd say go V8. You get a ton of opportunity for mods if you get bored especially for power. More options out the dealer available for V8, but since most interior/exterior/suspension options are interchangeable between the EB/V6/V8, that may not really be a concern if you're good with the V6 power and intend to keep it that way. If you're anything like me, I tend to get thirsty for more power pretty quickly after purchasing a car and getting used to it (talking months or even weeks after purchase, can't even dream of holding out a year completely stock).

Anyway that's my long winded post to try and weigh in on V8 vs V6. Obviously my vote is V8 if you ever plan to go after more noticeable power and more power from the factory. If not the V6 is a great deal if you intend to do more suspension/exterior/interior mods down the line. I think you can pretty much all of the premium trim pieces one by one if you ever find that you want them.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I think I came to some conclusion.

I asked for another testdrive with my wife this time. And we drove GT first and V6 after that. In that sequence GT feels far superior to V6.

I had 0 issues shifting/clutching and my wife had no problems at all either. So it was a matter of getting used to it.

I think Ford might be discontinuing V6 because next gen GT is getting DI and supposedly better mileage. So V6 will have even less sense to buy enginewise.

V6 is still lighter car. So if that is really important, then that's the reason to get V6. GT feels nose heavy indeed. And yes, this time I felt the Perf. pack on GT.

GT... next gen engine will be better...

My wife enjoyed GT over V6. So maybe that will be the hint for me.

It sounds to me that either V6 or GT 2017 should be bought after some good price negotiations in the light of oncoming 2018 model updates.

What are they typically go for? Invoice, MSRP? Never hadvford before... but typically was buying for around invoice.

I doubt I could find my car at the lot (int/ext color, options,etc)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

I asked for another testdrive with my wife this time. And we drove GT first and V6 after that. In that sequence GT feels far superior to V6.

I had 0 issues shifting/clutching and my wife had no problems at all either. So it was a matter of getting used to it.

I think Ford might be discontinuing V6 because next gen GT is getting DI and supposedly better mileage. So V6 will have even less sense to buy enginewise.

V6 is still lighter car. So if that is really important, then that's the reason to get V6. GT feels nose heavy indeed. And yes, this time I felt the Perf. pack on GT.

It sounds to me that either V6 or GT 2017 should be bought after some good price negotiations in the light of oncoming 2018 model updates.

What are they typically go for? Invoice, MSRP? Never hadvford before... but typically was buying for around invoice.

You can typically pick up any of them under invoice if you work at it, and at worst at invoice. There will definitely be deals to be had once the '18 cars start hitting lots later this year.

I personally know several folks who got great deals on their cars. One was a GT with PP and Recaros for $33k, and the other was a GT Premium w/ PP for just over $35k.

Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a

I bought my 2016 last summer new for about $40k, $43k out the door. But that was an 401a Premium, auto trans, adaptive cruise control, nav, sensors, security package, and 20" foundry wheels. So you can easily find one with fewer options in the low to mid $30's. Also, they generally run 0% financing starting in mid summer.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
If the decision is that tough, please go buy a Camaro.

FMAF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Royal Crimson 6 Spd Manual
With some simple mods the V6 is a fun car to drive and you can pick one up for under 24k new. Insurance will also cost you less. I've owned mine for 7 months now and have no regrets.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
With some simple mods the V6 is a fun car to drive and you can pick one up for under 24k new. Insurance will also cost you less. I've owned mine for 7 months now and have no regrets.
Lol i got mine for 21k at madison future ford

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4

Just out of curiosity, is your first language English?

Sponsored
OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
You can typically pick up any of them under invoice if you work at it, and at worst at invoice. There will definitely be deals to be had once the '18 cars start hitting lots later this year.

I personally know several folks who got great deals on their cars. One was a GT with PP and Recaros for $33k, and the other was a GT Premium w/ PP for just over $35k.
What would be good source of information on mustang invoice prices?

RomanB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
I hate that I bought a GT instead of a V6. I hate running 11s N/A with minimal effort and the aftermarket support for the Coyote sucks. I hate being different then all the school teachers and old ladies in town as they laugh at me when they fly pastin their base V6 automatics. It is frustrating, but we all have to live with our mistakes.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I hate that I bought a GT instead of a V6. I hate running 11s N/A with minimal effort and the aftermarket support for the Coyote sucks. I hate being different then all the school teachers and old ladies in town as they laugh at me when they fly pastin their base V6 automatics. It is frustrating, but we all have to live with our mistakes.
Enjoy the bad MPGs, heavy car that can't turn and double insurance rates! Oh and unusable power! And the fragile ego! (I might be missing some things haven't been into the eco or V6 sections in a long time).
Sponsored