Sponsored

Why no FoMoCo Mustang derivatives?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Lincoln sold a performance car at one time.

fl0116-230151_12.jpg
Love the Pantera, but it's unfortunately not an example of a sales success. :cheers:
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That's the problem...they DON'T need one. Brands need to stick to their guns if those guns are loaded and are hitting the target why bother to alter the formula.
But is Lincoln really hitting their target?

Why does Lincoln need a high performance model? What for? For who? The 60 year old who's looking for a plush ride and to ideally not go deaf from a thundering V8? Yeah, that's not going to go well.
Today's 60 y/o is not necessarily the same 60 y/o that his parents were.

Never mind that the Coyote in detuned and more muffled form would hardly be considered "thundering", very likely with more torque down at low rpms than an EB V6 at rpms below where much boost is being made (meaning better off-idle and low speed response). Even at full Mustang strength with OE Mustang muffling, it's still not particularly loud.

Norm

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Love the Pantera, but it's unfortunately not an example of a sales success. :cheers:
Because it was sold at Lincoln dealerships. I would rather see an affordable mid engine or rear engine RWD car from Ford than a Mustang derivitive. Stuff a 2.7 Ecoboost with a transaxle in the back or a 2.3 Ecoboost out of an RS in the back and let us have some fun.

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
Because it was sold at Lincoln dealerships. I would rather see an affordable mid engine or rear engine RWD car from Ford than a Mustang derivitive. Stuff a 2.7 Ecoboost with a transaxle in the back or a 2.3 Ecoboost out of an RS in the back and let us have some fun.
Won't happen with the GT.

The only "affordable" mid-engine car that comes to mind is the Cayman/718, and its pricing is basically on par with what the GT350 is priced at. Hell, the GT350R is actually cheaper than a 718 Cayman S, and it's a full 10 seconds faster around the Nordschleife than the Porsche.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Who made the render on the first page? That car is absolutely beautiful. Like i would easily drop 60-70k without even thinking performance numbers. Why doesn't Lincoln make something like that?

Seriously that car is looks better than most production cars lol. That mated with a supercharged 5.0 with magride would be able to compete with those high end lexus, Infiniti coupes

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If it had ~400 hp and was under 3200 lbs I would buy. Oh, I'd also have to fit in it. Affordable would probably be the tough bit to accomplish. I'd love to see a smaller performance Ford like that.

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
Not a fan of badge engineering still thinks it eats more into your own sales than gains as people cross shop.

Remember the Fox body Mercury Capri?

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If it had ~400 hp and was under 3200 lbs I would buy. Oh, I'd also have to fit in it. Affordable would probably be the tough bit to accomplish. I'd love to see a smaller performance Ford like that.
I'm talking Fiero/MR2 size and not $100k like a Cayman.

Dudie7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Do you know how juicy a Chevy SS vs Ford _______ (on a S550 platform) could have been?

Dudie7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
.......and this is why Lincolns sales are so piss poor.
They need a overhaul of their image badly.
Building a Mark VIIII S550 variant would do wonders.
Enough with this front wheel drive based crap. This has not worked for over two decades.
Time For A Major Change!
Caddy's sales aren't much better...in fact, they just might beat out Cadillac domestically by years end.

Sponsored