Sponsored

How many of you have driven a GT350 vs GT PP?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The ride was very smooth in normal mode. But overall it didn't really feel like it had 90 more horsepower than my stock 2017 GT PP. In a way, it felt like it had less torque / power. I could feel how light the fly wheel was with the clutch feeling lighter / different.
You didn't wind it out to where you could actually feel it. Remember "90 more horsepower" is at a specific point in the curve, not just anywhere within the curve. If we want to be realistic, the GT has a better suited engine for around town but having driven both and owning a GT350, there's way more to it than just that. The GT350 feels special in a way that's not quantifiable. No matter where you're driving, you're the man. And don't take my word for it, ask the people's necks who are broken that you pass and mistake it for a "Ferrari". No joke, I've been asked what year my "Ferrari" is. Talk about an ego booster and crusher all at the same time.
Sponsored

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Two different cars although similar purpose in that they are both "track" cars. The problem is that the GT 350 loves to rev and stretch its legs. As the charts are showing its power band is in a different zone. The GT stops yet the GT 350 says are you not entertained...

I wish my local dealer wasn't holding the cars hostage with ridiculous mark ups otherwise I would have bought one. Then again I could have waited another year I guess but was tired of driving my Focus ;)

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Put the Ford Racing Power Pack 2 on for $750+-, and you get 40 more lbs torque down low where you can use it the most, and 21 more hp peak and still be "under Ford warranty*" (**yes Ford Racing warranty).
As soon as you get on the road course that 40 lb ft becomes totally irrelevant. Just like the GT350's abysmal low end until 3200 RPM would become irrelevant. The GT is the better street car in principle. But emotionally? Well, that's up to the buyer of course.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Two different cars although similar purpose in that they are both "track" cars.
No. Not even close. The GT's brakes are not up to the task of multiple 20 minute sessions. You need better pads. Even the GT350's pads can be in question with a very good driver but the rotors are better at heat management. Also the the GT PP's dampers honestly are garbage. They try to fill in the gap between street compliant and track capable at the same time and fail at both. MagneRide for the '18 car was a very very good choice and frankly, overdue.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Better suspension, definitely, except if you get the 18 PP with magnaride. But google Ford voodoo engine problems and you will see why a coyote, and the extra money in your pocket for upgrades may be a better choice.

The voodoo is only two years old and seems to be showing a lot of significant problems.

Sponsored

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I had a pretty heavily modified 15 GT. BMR springs and other suspension bits, catless long tubes, flex fuel tune, light weight forged wheels, aluminum one piece DS, just to name some. Traded it in for a 17 GT350. Honestly if I had spent a week with the 350 first, I wouldn't have traded in. While I don't feel the biggest difference in the world performance wise, the maintenance costs on the 350 are much higher than the 5.0. $120 oil change vs $50. I got 29mpg on the highway with cruise control set to 86mph on the 5.0, the 350 is lucky to see 19mpg set to 70mph. Tires, rotors, brakes, much much more expensive on the 350 and doesn't last as long. I honestly may go to a 18 GT when they come out once I see it in person and mod it to my liking. Cheaper in the long run. Yes, the 350 is fun, looks incredible, no other car sounds as good (almost more fact than opinion) but you can definitely mod a 5.0 to be just as fun for cheaper. I nay be about the only 350 owner to tell you this too. Everyone else rants and raves about them. Pics of when I traded in, no longer have the white stripes on the 350.

20161001_142024_zpshfztdveg.jpg

20161001_141954_zpsxy5c8vdi.jpg

OP
OP
c-rizzle

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Varekai :clap2: ending the debate... with his hands on with both cars. (lightly modded GT vs. GT350)

I'm not saying I wouldn't mind a GT350. Just at the current price gap, its not really worth it.

GT's are selling for $4k under MSRP, and GT350's selling for MSRP +2k in general.

Makes the price gap for GT Prem PP to GT350 approx.$22k. ($39k vs. $61k)

Add a FRPP2 tune $800, 2-piece rotors $1,200, 1-piece alumium drive shaft $600, new widers wheels to match GT350 sizes $2,000 ($3k-$1k to sell PP wheels). = approx. $5,000 for a car that would "feel" very similar on or off the track IN MY OPINION. Nastang won't like my opinion, but hey everyone's got one... just a butthole! ;)

Or do the Power Pack 3 for a raised redline, and GT350 intake, etc.. and it would be even closer.

Last edited:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Add a tune $800, 2-piece rotors $1,200, 1-piece alumium drive shaft $600, new widers wheels to match GT350 sizes $2,000 ($3k-$1k to sell PP wheels). = approx. $5,000 for a car that would "feel" very similar on or off the track IN MY OPINION. Nastang won't like my opinion, but hey everyone's got one... just a butthole! ;)
I disagree more with your brake modification logic than the subject at hand. Rotors do almost nothing for brake feel and power. Pads pads pads pads. But yes I do disagree. GT PP shocks and struts are worthless.

Moogatwo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ZL1 M6
I've done a few side-by-sides w/my Dad's lightly modded 2015 GT and it's pretty close in normal and spirited street driving. You can't really feel the advantages of the GT350 unless you're pushing, but at that point it wins.

After owning a heavily modified Evo X I just wanted something powerful and well-sorted with a factory warranty at a reasonable price. The Shelby checked all the boxes and then some at the lowest price point. I'm sure a full-bolt on, tuned GT would smoke me in a straight line, and around a track with the proper setup, but I'm totally ok with that.

Yea the maintenance is more, but put it in perspective. Look at the cars it competes with. The maintenance on some of those cars is greater. Depending on what you're cross-shopping it against it can become a bargain.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Varekai :clap2: ending the debate... with his hands on with both cars. (lightly modded GT vs. GT350)

I'm not saying I wouldn't mind a GT350. Just at the current price gap, its not really worth it.
This.

A while back I wanted to swap my GT (or thought I did) for a GT350, but the complete inability to be able to test drive one at a dealership plus the stupid ADMs kept me away. Now, they can be had for MSRP and, considering depreciation on my GT, the even-worse cost delta just isn't worth it to me personally.

Kudos to Varekai for the honest evaulation.... :thumbsup:

Sponsored
OP
OP
c-rizzle

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Yea the maintenance is more, but put it in perspective. Look at the cars it competes with. The maintenance on some of those cars is greater. Depending on what you're cross-shopping it against it can become a bargain.
Yeah, every time I saw a GT350 for $65k ($5k ADM) months ago, I thought I might as well get a Porsche Cayman, but then I remember the even higher maintenance cost and thought nah I should probably just stick to my "cheap" $43k GT Prem PP.

Moogatwo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ZL1 M6
Yeah, every time I saw a GT350 for $65k ($5k ADM) months ago, I thought I might as well get a Porsche Cayman, but then I remember the even higher maintenance cost and think nah I should probably just stick to my "cheap" $43k GT Prem PP.
That's the problem, the ADM! You need to either be ok with it or factor in the time and effort you're going to spend tracking one down at MSRP.

After all the time and energy I spent locking in MSRP I can't even bring myself to get excited for whatever the next high performance mustang is, because it gives me flashbacks to all the phone conversations with salesman, and the spammed emails!

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
It is already a little frustrating to drive my GT within the speed limits.
I think it is easier to customize a GT to make it your own unique car, inside or out. The GT350 is pretty much done from the factory, IMO.

I am looking forward to the 2018, because it checks all my boxes: 10spd with PP, switchable exhaust, switchable suspension, and more. It would be the ultimate compromise between GT and 350 for me.

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Traded my 2015 GT PP for the 350.
Loved the GT but the 350 is night and day to me.

The whole car resonates a completely different vibe than a stock GT.

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Add a FRPP2 tune $800, 2-piece rotors $1,200, 1-piece alumium drive shaft $600, new widers wheels to match GT350 sizes $2,000 ($3k-$1k to sell PP wheels). = approx. $5,000 for a car that would "feel" very similar on or off the track IN MY OPINION. Nastang won't like my opinion, but hey everyone's got one... just a butthole! ;)

Or do the Power Pack 3 for a raised redline, and GT350 intake, etc.. and it would be even closer.
Skip half that, don't mess with the 350 manifold, just do a procharger setup tuned by Lund or palm Beach dyno and you'll have a 7800 rpm Redline machine making 800+ hp for about 8k. Add some BMR bits and your good to go.
Sponsored