Sponsored

Performance Pack Tires... done in under 6,700 miles...WTF?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The stock Pirelli's are trash.
They're decent. Not the best, but pretty damn good.

And like all Summer Only HP tires, they don't last long.

I remember buying my 2012 BPP car, and the dealership Sales Manager explained to me that the tires would only last 8k miles. Evidently he'd had a lot of complaints from people that didn't have the proper expectation set when they bought BPP cars, and he was being sure I understood the situation.

And he sure as hell was right. At 8K, they were toast.

I did just check my current PP tires, at about 7600 miles, and only the RR looks in need of replacement. And it's the RR that takes the beating out back.

I think Pirelli got so many complaints from Mustang and MB owners, that they changed the tire compound so they last a bit longer.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
My 19 inch P-zero nero's have over 20k miles on them and there's still tread left.
We're talking about the OEM BPP tires. Very different from the A/S tires on other Mustangs.

AEengnr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
My PP rears (19 inch) were gone at 9k miles. I have a second set on a set of 20 inch foundry's that I got from a user on here. They are down to 3/32 or 4/32 with a total of 6-7k miles. Im shopping for a new set now as one of the has a bubble.
I have a set of 20" foundry's and the P-Zeros that came on them (not sure how many miles were on them) had a sidewall bubble. I went with the DWS 06. I like them, granted I drive 90% highway and never track my car so summer tires vs. A/S doesn't make a big difference.

shawndean22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
not sure what you are doing to the car, but OEM summer pirelli's lasted me 2 winters and 19k miles before they were bald.

OP
OP
xArchangel79

xArchangel79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium with Performance Pack
Thanks for all the perspective. I had assumed since this isn't my daily that I'd get a lot more out of them. It makes me feel better to know this is somewhat normal if still s****y.

I'm replacing with another set this time, but next year I'll do some research and pickup something different.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
not sure what you are doing to the car, but OEM summer pirelli's lasted me 2 winters and 19k miles before they were bald.
That's pushing them waaaaaay beyond their designed life-span. And tires should never be "bald", that's just extremely dangerous.

Plus, the performance and ride would be beyond crappy.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
At 15k I had to change out the rears on mine. When taking off hard, the tires spin whether you realize it or not, especially in cold weather. When you feel it get even a little loose you can bet rubber is coming off. I burned them down pretty quick until I realized what was going on. I still have the original Pirellis on the front and expect maybe 5-10k more out of them. I am also anal about maintaining proper tire pressure.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Thanks for all the perspective. I had assumed since this isn't my daily that I'd get a lot more out of them. It makes me feel better to know this is somewhat normal if still s****y.

I'm replacing with another set this time, but next year I'll do some research and pickup something different.
The 2018 Track Pack cars are coming with some new tires, Michelin performance tires, and I'm guessing they're a huge part of the mechanical grip increases the 2018 is supposed to have.

eleanor5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MY
I've got a 50 years edition with 36k on it (no performance package) and the 20 inch factory all seasons are still holding up. you gotta really love performance summer tires to put it on a daily driver.

i've got summer performance tires on my Rx-7, but that's a car that gets a few thousand miles a year.
Doesn't seem fair to blame this on all summer tires in general, I think the pirelli is just a really poor wearing tire. I've had all kinds of really great tires on other cars like the Goodyear GS-D3, Continental DW, various Bridgestone Potenzas, all that lasted 20-25k per set.
At least the identified the problem by switching to a Michelin for 2018 PP modles.

According to this chart the pirelli is one of the worst choices.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

OP you should buy the michelin pilot sports or the continental extremecontact sport if you want to save a couple bucks.
Here's some more choices.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
My tires have over 12k miles on them and still have 8/32nds front and rear. Highway miles, son, highway miles. ;)

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, my rears were done in a little over 7K miles, I could've probably used them right up to 8K, but I wound up scoring a good deal on some Conti DW Extremes, so I went ahead and replaced them when I got a chance.

The front's are just now looking like they're about 3/4s used, probably another 3-4K miles, that would put them at about 15-16K miles, and seems pretty typical usage ratio for front vs. rear.

I wished I would've picked up 4 of those Conti in 275, I would run some PP 9.5" on the front and go with a square setup.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Doesn't seem fair to blame this on all summer tires in general, I think the pirelli is just a really poor wearing tire. I've had all kinds of really great tires on other cars like the Goodyear GS-D3, Continental DW, various Bridgestone Potenzas, all that lasted 20-25k per set.
At least the identified the problem by switching to a Michelin for 2018 PP modles.

According to this chart the pirelli is one of the worst choices.

OP you should buy the michelin pilot sports or the continental extremecontact sport if you want to save a couple bucks.
Here's some more choices.
First, those survey results are not car-specific. That's really important.

Even within the category of Max Performance Summer, the tires vary in compounds from one application to another. The OEM Michelins currently have 2 compounds for different manufacturer applications, and they used to have three....one for Audi, one for Mercedes, and one that was generic. Ford used to use the Mercedes compound, but Tire Rack says it's now the generic compound.

Plus there's the way specific cars wear on their tires. I'm guessing cars like Mustangs beat the living hell out of the tires, not to mention how most owners drive their Mustangs. Keep in mind, drivers with 2900lb ricers buy and rate the same tires. That's a very different application from our cars.

And I'm thinking the Michelin Pilot Super Sports wear even faster, as they are grippier than hell.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I took my car into Ford to inquire about the tread (or lack thereof). They called up Pirelli and according to them (Pirelli) the stock summer PZero's are only rated at 12k miles of tread life. I'm at almost 15000 miles (mostly highway) and my rear tires are bald. Zero burnouts, zero doughnuts, zero track time....only spirited driving. The tires were past the tread wear marks at 12,500 miles.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Im gonna try my first ever line lock ever with my worn out P-zeros. Should be fun hehehe

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
When you replace the tires, go ahead and have your rear toe settings checked. You might have a bit too much which can accelerate tire wear.

I got 6600 out of mine, but that included a few autox runs and two really hard track days. 6k to like 14k seems to be the normal range and you're on the bottom end of that. I switched to MPSS tires and I have 10k already and more than half of the tread still left!
Sponsored