Sponsored

Anyone use the CG Lock?

Mike's Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A
I haven't tried it in the mustang, yet. Most cars I've been in when you pull the belt all the way out and let it go back in, it will tick as it goes back in. This is a lock that will not let the belt go beyond the point you stop letting it in. The lock releases once the belt is fully retracted. Get in, buckle up, pull the belt all the way out, then snug it up to your desired tightness.

May be a solution to what you're looking for.
Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Wait...is this just a strap of webbing with a buckle? Looks like you wrap it around the seat joint where the back attaches to the seat cushion and it holds you in place independent of the seat belt. Is that correct?

If that's the case I have some leftover buckles and 2" nylon webbing from another project I was working on. However, I'd like to know specifically where this gets wrapped around? Also, seems like in an accident this is has a much higher probability of getting forced into sharp/metal and sheering off compared to a dedicated restraint harness.

Thanks

-Emt1581
The torso belt is not a substitute for the normal factory lap/shoulder belt assembly. I simply latch the factory belt and then latch the torso belt over the lap portion of the factory belt near the bottom of the seat back. The torso belt goes between the door and the lap belt. The factory shoulder belt and retractor continue to work in the normal way.

For autocrossing I like the shoulder belt in a street car to be free to extend rather than tight against my chest like a racing harness so the "lock the belt" trick or the Schroth harness won't work for me.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Whatever you use you need to be planted in that seat. If you are doing anything with the steering wheel other than steering then you ain't driving as fast as possible.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Whatever you use you need to be planted in that seat. If you are doing anything with the steering wheel other than steering then you ain't driving as fast as possible.
Well I'm not looking to do 155 on the streets. But my daily drive alone has enough twists and turns to make keeping my ass planted a priority. At the same time I'm going off of my experience with lesser vehicles that don't have near the amount of bolstering that the S550 has.

I'm just after the simplest solution possible.

Thanks

-Emt1581

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car

Right. And it's the seat that should be holding you in place laterally, not the belts. The belts are for deceleration and impact protection.

What you really want are Recaros or another race seat.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right. And it's the seat that should be holding you in place laterally, not the belts. The belts are for deceleration and impact protection.

I sat in the Recaros and really didn't care for them. I'm 5'8" 205lbs and my spine barely touched the seat backing. Not comfortable at all. Meanwhile the stock seats were womb-like.

-Emt1581

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
Used CG-lock in my 01 mustang for 8 years. Got it for autocross but ended up just leaving it installed for daily driving. Was very good at keeping me from sliding around in the seat. Only issue i had was the extra weight caused the seat belt to stop retracting all the way.
It worked for me definitely worth a try.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Used CG-lock in my 01 mustang for 8 years. Got it for autocross but ended up just leaving it installed for daily driving. Was very good at keeping me from sliding around in the seat. Only issue i had was the extra weight caused the seat belt to stop retracting all the way.
It worked for me definitely worth a try.
Did it shred the belt/webbing at all?

Thanks

-Emt1581

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros

Recaros.... That's what I was thinking. :shrug:

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
I sat in the Recaros and really didn't care for them. I'm 5'8" 205lbs and my spine barely touched the seat backing. Not comfortable at all. Meanwhile the stock seats were womb-like.

-Emt1581
Interesting. I'm 5' 8'' and 195lbs. and the Recaros fit like a glove. Crazy!

Sponsored

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
Did it shred the belt/webbing at all?

Thanks

-Emt1581
All it did was fray the very top layer of threads making the belt look fuzzy in the area that was around the CG-lock. Don't have the car anymore. But found a pic that may give a better idea. In the car 8 years 18-20k miles per year DD plus hundreds of autocrosses and wear was a little less than is in the pic.
normal_Worn%20seat%20belt%20%281024x683%29.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I have a CG-Loc for my 350Z and it works great for track days. You can really snug the lap-belt down to keep your hips planted in the seat.

However, the Mustang has a very thick seat-belt buckle, enough that the CG-Loc will not fit.

-T

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
No experience with the CG lock, but sliding the seat back, locking the stock belt tight and then sliding the seat forward is good enough for me on the street, but at the track or autox it just is not reliable enough with how squishy the factory seats are and how much they move. I'd be OK for a while, the suddenly a G force shift would pop me loose. Then I'm all flailing around holding on to the steering wheel for dear life.

So, harness FTW, and if I know I'm going for a "spirited" drive I'll up switch to the harness. For the average sporty drive the seatbelt back/forward trick works well enough.

Better seats are a good idea, but thousands for recaros vs a couple of bills for the harnesses, which do an amazing job.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Wait...is this just a strap of webbing with a buckle? Looks like you wrap it around the seat joint where the back attaches to the seat cushion and it holds you in place independent of the seat belt. Is that correct?

If that's the case I have some leftover buckles and 2" nylon webbing from another project I was working on. However, I'd like to know specifically where this gets wrapped around? Also, seems like in an accident this is has a much higher probability of getting forced into sharp/metal and sheering off compared to a dedicated restraint harness.
Pretty much.

You'd wear it as supplemental to the OE 3-point belting, and basically consider it expendable without necessarily adding to the OE belt strength.

I "re-purposed" a couple of the belts out of the Chevy Malibu I used to own. One set for me, one for any right-seat occupant.

picture.jpg

When you tighten it down over the OE belt it does tend to limit the OE belt's built-in tendency to go slack in addition to clamping you down better.

Separately, it also seems to help if you can relax any and all muscles not directly involved in making some car control input. Muscle tension especially in the legs can lift weight up off the seat cushion, fighting what gravity is trying to do to keep you put. A little sideways-only force at the knees doesn't seem to disturb this nearly as much when you aren't trying to push down on the floor.

Norm
Sponsored