Sponsored

Anyone use the CG Lock?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
A few years back on another forum, someone showed their CG Lock in use. Basically it allows you to really plant your hips using ony a standard lap belt but at the same time it doesn't restrict your shoulders from moving around.

I also remember people saying they could duplicate the same device for a few bucks at Lowes/HD. And then yet others said they could do the same by just twisting the belt before inserting it.

Seems to me like in a car with great bolstering like the S550 has, being able to lock down your hips would make for an improved driving experience to eliminate white knuckling the wheel and sliding around.

Thoughts? Experience?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone??

Thanks

-Emt1581

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
I think most of us don't have a clue what you're talking about.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
http://www.cg-lock.com/

I'm thinking anyone that's used one would know.

-Emt1581
When I contacted cg-lock in 2015 they indicated the current version (then) did not fit the 2015 Mustang belts and said they were working on a new version. I don't know if the new version is available yet. Since the cg-lock design looks like it might damage the belt fabric I've been using a "torso belt" at hip level for autocross and like it. http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/s?keyword=torso+belt

This belt worn at hip level works better than "belt twisting" and is easy to cinch tightly after latching.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I contacted cg-lock in 2015 they indicated the current version (then) did not fit the 2015 Mustang belts and said they were working on a new version. I don't know if the new version is available yet. Since the cg-lock design looks like it might damage the belt fabric I've been using a "torso belt" at hip level for autocross and like it. http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/s?keyword=torso+belt

This belt worn at hip level works better than "belt twisting" and is easy to cinch tightly after latching.
Not sure how it works and searching for youtube vids is coming up empty.

I shot CG Lock and email so we'll see what they say.

Thanks

-Emt1581

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Anyone??

Thanks

-Emt1581
I looked at at it pretty closely but at the end decided on Schroth Quickfit harness. More expensive but no opportunity for belt damage (that I saw in the reviews) and that harness comes completely out when you don't need it to short of two receptacles.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And I just got delivery failures for every email address at CG Lock so their emails don't accept mail and they have no phone number. It's looking like the company is tits up.

-Emt1581

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I looked at at it pretty closely but at the end decided on Schroth Quickfit harness. More expensive but no opportunity for belt damage (that I saw in the reviews) and that harness comes completely out when you don't need it to short of two receptacles.
I can see the benefit of that, especially for at the track. However, for daily driving, a small attachment to normal equipment seems optimal verses a harness that takes away use of the rear seat, restricts shoulder movement (which I NEED when on the street), and costs significantly more. I have seen more than one complaint on the CG Lock shredding webbing.

I'm going to look more into the torso belt to see what that's about.

Thanks for sharing. :)

-Emt1581

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Wait...is this just a strap of webbing with a buckle? Looks like you wrap it around the seat joint where the back attaches to the seat cushion and it holds you in place independent of the seat belt. Is that correct?

If that's the case I have some leftover buckles and 2" nylon webbing from another project I was working on. However, I'd like to know specifically where this gets wrapped around? Also, seems like in an accident this is has a much higher probability of getting forced into sharp/metal and sheering off compared to a dedicated restraint harness.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I can see the benefit of that, especially for at the track. However, for daily driving, a small attachment to normal equipment seems optimal verses a harness that takes away use of the rear seat, restricts shoulder movement (which I NEED when on the street), and costs significantly more. I have seen more than one complaint on the CG Lock shredding webbing.

-Emt1581
Only reason I bought it is for autocross since I keep sliding all over the place and bracing with my knee against the door to the point where it gets bruised. For street I use just regular belts.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
It seems like it simply clamps around the existing belt right above the buckle.
Tighten the waist portion and it locks it in place.

So, it does nothing for the cross chest strap, which is really where you need the belt tighter.
cg-lock.jpg

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase

-Emt1581
If you actually look at the website you will see that the whole thing comes out super easy(like clicking the stock belt locations) for street use. Check it out...after looking at it thats what I will be buying for my track events. 4point harness that comes out in less then 2min for street use.

EDIT: If you need a harness for street use what are you doing??? I dont slid around at all in the stock seats.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you actually look at the website you will see that the whole thing comes out super easy(like clicking the stock belt locations) for street use. Check it out...after looking at it thats what I will be buying for my track events. 4point harness that comes out in less then 2min for street use.

EDIT: If you need a harness for street use what are you doing??? I dont slid around at all in the stock seats.
Right, I watched youtube vids on it. I saw the install so yes it is pretty simple if you don't want to use it. But I don't plan to take my car to the track. This would mainly be for street use which is why I wanted something simpler and still having full range of motion with my shoulders.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Rlhay2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Dodge Viper
Alternative method:
1. Move seat back
2. Give the seat belt a quick tug to engage inertial lock
3. Move seat forward to desired snugness.
Sponsored