Sponsored

So is anyone worried their hood is going to break free?

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Anytime I get upward of 80mph my hood shakes up and down. Up around 100 it really moves quite a bit. Guessing there aren't bushings and bearings involved with the mounting to allow this movement. Knowing that the hood is aluminum wonder if any of it will ever fatigue to a point something lets loose. That will be one hell of a lawsuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I took my car to 130 mph about 3 times and I have a lower grill delete, my hood looked stable to me

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
You certainly aren't the first person to mention this 'hood flop', but mine does not move at all - at least not anything discernible by me. Granted I haven't been much faster than 115mph.

I don't know if it is hit and miss thing or if maybe the rubber hood stops are not set properly for some.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Anytime I get upward of 80mph my hood shakes up and down. Up around 100 it really moves quite a bit. Guessing there aren't bushings and bearings involved with the mounting to allow this movement. Knowing that the hood is aluminum wonder if any of it will ever fatigue to a point something lets loose. That will be one hell of a lawsuit.
Maybe it just need adjusting?

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Maybe it just need adjusting?
Yeah I'm thinking it's something along these lines. I've seen a few people complain about the hood lift, but I've had mine up to 140mph briefly and noticed absolutely no movement.

All I can remember doing when I very first picked up the car (and what I do with any car I get) is use a bit of whiteout or similar removable paint to make sure the rubber bump stops are up as high as they should be. No idea if this would be related to the hood lift, but I haven't adjusted anything else on the hood at all.

Sponsored

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
Mine also moves quite a bit under normal driving conditions. I've had it up to 160 several times without issue though. It just looks sketchy as hell all the time.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Mine shakes. It is a little concerning but I've "mostly" gotten used to it.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
nope

Sponsored
OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had the issue when I first bought the car, it's the rubber hood stops, adjust them 1-2 full turns up and see what that does. That fixed me up nicely.

Thanks for that. I did take a couple of pieces of silly puddy and put them on top of each bumper. They were smashed flat and paper thin when I opened the hood back up. Sounds like they really need to be compressed even more.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
My hood didn't line up evenly with the fender on one side when I first got the car. I adjusted the bumper stops until the hood was slightly above the fender and then backed them down until it was flush.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
You can also play around with the height of the central latch, to make sure the hood is being pulled down against the front gasket. I messed with mine a little, only to end up back where it was initially, but you can definitely cinch things down more tightly if needed. There are two bolts with toothed washers that hold the latch in place, so it is pretty easy to adjust.

I've had my GT350 up to ~ 115 on track, without any noticeable fluttering.

-T

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You can also play around with the height of the central latch, to make sure the hood is being pulled down against the front gasket. I messed with mine a little, only to end up back where it was initially, but you can definitely cinch things down more tightly if needed. There are two bolts with toothed washers that hold the latch in place, so it is pretty easy to adjust.

I've had my GT350 up to ~ 115 on track, without any noticeable fluttering.

-T

Thanks for that. So did you ever notice it shake and your fine tuning made it go away, or you never had it shake from the get go? I looked at the latch for just a second, but then thought I'd get clever and see if it smashed some silly putty on top of the rubber bumpers, which it did. So that tells me it's snug, but I think I'll raise them a little to see if it snugs it up even better.

aerodyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP 6MT Magnetic / Redline
I have a 2016 GTPP. Read about the hood shake on here before the car arrived and so I've kept my eye out for it. Never noticed anything more than a little flex in the sheet metal when passing a truck on the highway.
Sponsored