Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Thanks guys. Im dropping her off next Monday at the body shop. They said it would take around 3 weeks to fix. Ill post updates as I get them.

I would love to trade out of the car. As stated earlier It will never be the same to me. The car only has 8500 miles on it.
As long as the frame wasn't bent the car won't physically be different...but I understand the emotional value of it. My '03 Evo was rear ended 8 days after I bought it new off the lot. The body shop did an excellent job, $4500 in repairs later and eventually I forgot it was even hit.
Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Facepalm...

V8 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT 5.0 V8
My condolences.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Oh I'm pissed. The ford bodyshop is going to paint the roof black and get me the premium rear bumper. But I'm still pissed. The car will never be the same to me. May need yalls advice on deminished value claim.
If you need some advice on this, let me know. I'm dealing with this myself. You're initial estimate will definitely blow up with a supplement.

I have a thread detailing my experience. Basically, I got tapped in the rear at a right-on-red intersection. Lady behind me thought I went (my car is a manual so I let off the brake to prepare to go but did not actually move since there was a car coming) and basically drove into my rear. Damage looked pretty minor. Small dent in the rear bumper. Minor panel misalignment with where she hit me in reference to the taillights and trunk lid (yes, worse than the misalignment that Ford was nice enough to include as a standard option on all Mustangs!).

Anyway, initial estimate was $1500 but once the car went to the body shop and panels were removed, a supplement was issued and approved for about $8,600! Total repair was for just over $10,000! (took about 30 days)

Now that that part is done, I am in process of going through the DV claim. I would 100% suggest you do it. Not sure about the laws in your area but long story short, here in Baltimore MD, because the DV expert's estimate was well above $5,000, I got a lawyer involved. In process with Geico as we speak...

In any case, your damage looks 1000% worse than mine did, at least on the surface. I hope it works out for you. With these being uni-body vehicles, you're basically talking the dreaded "frame damage" as soon as there's welding involved (at least that's how it was explained to me). All of that being said, my body shop did an amazing job on the repair and the color match. They even went as far as paint matching the bolts that they had to mess with to make it look like they had never been undone. They also fixed many of Ford's crappy QA issues with the panels and glass misalignment. Car drives just fine!

I can't speak about the Ford body shop you're referring to but if there is ever any advice I would give to someone, it would be DON'T TAKE IT TO AN INSURANCE AFFILIATED SHOP! From what I've seen, most of them are marginally better than chop shops that will use as many used/aftermarket parts as possible and try to get your car in and out as fast as possible, without worrying about if it looks as good as possible.

Sponsored

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
I feel so bad seeing you guys getting your mustangs crashed into. I have an old Acura that I want to trade for a Mustang soon and if I could get just a decent hit, not enough to get hurt, the car would total out real easy. It's a 2005 Acura RL. Just the headlights are over a grand each. Would get at least $10K or at least 8K if it got totalled, only 4K in trade. I'm not looking for mishaps, could get hurt... But it wouldn't break my heart if someone stole it. Probably a hard car to steal though...
Man, you better hope your insurance company doesn't see this IF something does happen! Lol...

Acehole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
various stages of crap
Ouch. I'm surprised how well it actually took a vic hit. Get her fixed up and in a few weeks youll be happy again

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
My 2 cents. It's not the engine bay and it doesnt look too bad. Have a solid repair shop have a go at it (and of course provide their professional opinion), pursue DV and keep the car if it looks all right and drives right. Make sure they replace the parts, not bondo Ă©m. I have seen body shops restore car to better condition than when it left the factory (easy in our case with misalignments!). You wont even know there was an issue.

If you change your car every time someone hits it (I understand the emotion), you will likely not be keeping a car more than a couple of years and always eating a huge hit literally and financially :-). In that case, lease. I have had two cars totalled (one parked on the street, one at a red light) and quite a few people hit them in the past (I have driven in Seattle for 10 years) - nothing too major. I even had a traffic sign fall off a post and gash one of my rides back in the day. I cant tell you how often I see folks on cell phone rear end other cars at stop lights, esp when the light turns green (I realize that didnt happen on your case).

Do I fret about my GT? Yes. Do I park it carefully and take care of it and fix any cosmetic issues/stone chips? Yes. I wash and wax and baby the thing too. That said, this is one reason why I didnt buy a more expensive "collectible" car like the GT350R etc, I couldn't deal with the impact to the potential resale and life is too short to have a garage queen. With a work-day performance car like the GT, I dont sweat all of that too much. It's not going to be worth a ton in the future anyway and it's cheap to mod, repair etc. Fix it and have fun.

Last edited:

dukeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT PP
I got a "little" tap from the back at a stop light a few weeks ago. Initial estimate was 6k..
IMG_1016.jpg
IMG_1018.jpg

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
My 2 cents. It's not the engine bay and it doesnt look too bad. Have a solid repair shop have a go at it (and of course provide their professional opinion), pursue DV and keep the car if it looks all right and drives right. Make sure they replace the parts, not bondo Ă©m. I have seen body shops restore car to better condition than when it left the factory (easy in our case with misalignments!). You wont even know there was an issue.

If you change your car every time someone hits it (I understand the emotion), you will likely not be keeping a car more than a couple of years and always eating a huge hit literally and financially :-). In that case, lease. I have had two cars totalled (one parked on the street, one at a red light) and quite a few people hit them in the past (I have driven in Seattle for 10 years) - nothing too major. I even had a traffic sign fall off a post and gash one of my rides back in the day. I cant tell you how often I see folks on cell phone rear end other cars at stop lights, esp when the light turns green (I realize that didnt happen on your case).

Do I fret about my GT? Yes. Do I park it carefully and take care of it and fix any cosmetic issues/stone chips? Yes. I wash and wax and baby the thing too. That said, this is one reason why I didnt buy a more expensive "collectible" car like the GT350R etc, I couldn't deal with the impact to the potential resale and life is too short to have a garage queen. With a work-day performance car like the GT, I dont sweat all of that too much. It's not going to be worth a ton in the future anyway and it's cheap to mod, repair etc. Fix it and have fun.
+1 to everything this guy said. And damn man, traffic sign fall off a post onto your car? That's crazy, lol.

As he said though, I'd have it fixed and just keep the car. My previous car was involved in several accidents and, while it was hard to imagine keeping the car, the thoughts of the accidents went away pretty fast after getting it fixed. I mean if the car is restored back to the way it was before and drove the exact same way, I'd just keep it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sponsored

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
Man, you better hope your insurance company doesn't see this IF something does happen! Lol...
I never said I was trying to make something happen... We just had a car totalled by another driver, the wrong car. They took our trusty 04 Honda Pilot, and now we have a new CR-V. It's new, that's all I can say for it. We wanted to keep that car a long time. I drive my RL very carefully, don't want to be involved in an accident. My wife is still hurting from hers months ago. I can't afford to be hurt, I use my body for work.

OP
OP
15DIBGT

15DIBGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush stage 3
I get that accidents happen no matter how careful we are. And I see where you guys are coming from about keeping it. This is the only accident I have ever been in (33 years old) Knock on wood. I will see how it looks when done and go from there. Dropping the car off Monday. Thanks for all the advice guys.

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
One thing about all these wrecks is how insanely expensive even the smallest damage is these days.

Shmoke

ZSHAUNZ
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT w/PP Ruby Red
:faint: so upsetting...get it fixed, see how it drives...it you notice something not right, escalate the claim. If it is okay, just keep it...swap the car out in a year or two.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I don't understand how some bumper damage can end up being $6000 in damage (this is in reference to a few posts above). I had the entire driver's side of my 350z damaged while at a track day, and it was $6000 to repair. I'll try to remember to post a photo when I am at home. Seems like the OP's damage should be less than $4000. Clearly I'm old and living in the past, but it's still surprising how quickly the cost of even a small accident adds up.

-T
Sponsored