Custom Sync 3 Boot Screens

brock2621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
So I'm a graphic artist and animator for a living and I'm very interested in creating custom boot animations for myself and possibly other people. For example, I was thinking it would be cool to see a 60's California Special badge that transitions into a modern Cali Special badge.

What I would like to get some help with are the files. If someone would be so kind as to post the stock files for the animations so I can take a look at them and have a template to go by as far as file type, size, length, resolution etc. etc.

It would be cool to offer this to others on here if they've named their cars, or are part of a club etc.

Lemme know if anyone is currently doing this, or would be willing to tackle this...

Cheers!
Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
How would one download the stock animation file? I'd be happy to do it if you tell me how. I'd imagine the only way to save the file would be to a USB stick.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
sync 3 splash screen isnt customizeable in the first place, not like mft touch.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Being an IT Guy by trade (but not a programmer), everything software is customizable. You just have to be prepared to risk bricking whatever you're trying to mess with in the process.

For example, some PCs/laptops show a splash screen during the boot process. This is nothing more than a .BMP file hard-coded on the BIOS chip. On some, there's a specific field where you can input text that shows up across the top of the boot screens. I.E. "This laptop is property of the XYZ Company. Please call xxxxxx if found."

Sponsored

OP
OP
brock2621

brock2621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
Could someone grab an update file, extract it and find the boot screen animation and replace it with one I make using the same name etc? Or use one of those controllers that hook to system and allow people to load the different ones to choose one I make?

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Why not just go find the Sync 3 Android Auto update thread, grab the update files, and try that yourself?

JR

OP
OP
brock2621

brock2621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
Why not just go find the Sync 3 Android Auto update thread, grab the update files, and try that yourself?

JR
I'm asking in theory if it's possible. I'm not a very technical person but I saw in the sync 3 thread that some people were able to rewrite some of the installation files to overwrite and selectively install certain files.

And in another thread I saw some members able to hook up one of those code clearing computers and have it boot performance splash screens instead of the stock.

I'm not technically affluent enough to do it but I'm asking if someone would mind posting one of those boot animation files here so I could take a look at it, and (hopefully) create custom ones for myself and other people.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
if people knew the resolution and dimensions and how to customize, most of us would do it to our own taste, are you saying you want to make dreamweaver animation splash screen?

OP
OP
brock2621

brock2621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
if people knew the resolution and dimensions and how to customize, most of us would do it to our own taste, are you saying you want to make dreamweaver animation splash screen?
I'm fairly certain once I have the file type I can probably do something. If it's in We code then I would probably animate it in Cinema4D or After Effects, export as a jpeg sequence, .mov, flash animation etc. to replicate how ford does it.

I own an ad agency and if I can't do it myself I'm certain someone on my staff could help with conversion.

If I could get a stock pony, Shelby or performance animation file I'll go off on my own and see what I can make and then check back in and post it for everyone to see or test.

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
You'll have to find a way to hack into the Blackberry QNX software.

You might be able to find a way to solder a RS232 port onto the board and SSH in, but everything is pretty locked down from the outside. The only way in is through a script like the v2.2 updated used, but those are signed payloads. There is a .der file which verifies the authenticity of the software loaded next to it. Unless you can talk Blackberry out of the encryption key... you're SOL.

The hardware hacking method seems like a fun afternoon if you have an extra radio.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I saw in the sync 3 thread that some people were able to rewrite some of the installation files to overwrite and selectively install certain files.
This was only modifying the list of files for it to install.

The updater uses this list to load and extract tarballs. You can only modify this list to load tarballs from Ford/Blackberry. It is possible to modify the contents and order of the list, but that's hardly customization.

OP
OP
brock2621

brock2621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
This was only modifying the list of files for it to install.

The updater uses this list to load and extract tarballs. You can only modify this list to load tarballs from Ford/Blackberry. It is possible to modify the contents and order of the list, but that's hardly customization.
Ahhhh so it checks to see if it's signed before extracting. I'd basically have to jailbreak the Sync system in order to load it onto the stock computer. I'm sure I could Google this but does anyone sell aftermarket computer modules that integrate into the stock camera/screens/heating,air system etc?

I've seen add-ons that slap an iPad over the console etc but is there anything that looks/feels "stock?"

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

It is via Forscan. There are around 5 splash screens to choose from. Just wish they had a special boot animation for the ecoboost. They don't. :(