Sponsored

90% Chance My Oil Cooler Lines Aren't Torqued

Darth Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tri Yellow GT350
Here is my recall horror story...

I inspected the car to see if the spoiler was properly clipped in as it is supposed to be removed to get to the lines. It looked like it wasn't removed. They confirmed they removed the belly pan without removing the splitter. I asked how? They said it didn't matter how they just did. I told him I know the instructions and even if you can leave the splitter, you still have to remove 6-Screws that attaches the splitter to the belly pan.

Service Advisor said he removed it for the tech...I was like huh? I asked to see what screws were removed to remove the pan. At this point he would not answer my questions and told me to leave and come back Monday when the service manager was back. That's when I got real angry.

I asked what torque did he use on the splitter screws that supposedly did not have to be removed, the tech made up a number 5 inches. I said inch what? Inches is not a torque rating. He said whatever. Finally got the acting store manager to get the car on a lift and show me that they did at least have to remove the 6 screws I was talking about at a min. They finally looked up the instructions which showed 17 inch/lbs for the reinstall.

New service tech came with a torque wrench and all screws were several full turns to get to 17 inch/lbs. So now I have no confidence the oil lines were properly torqued to spec. I don't think u can get a torque wrench on the lines with the splitter still on.

Lastly, unless Ford changed the splitter spec...the recall instructions give only one torque spec for both the inner and outer splitter bolts. The separate install instructions for the splitter show a torque spec 4X higher for the outer screws than the inner eight screws. Either way I proved they did not torque the splitter to spec.

This doesn't even get into how I was treated and talked to before I got angry.
Sponsored

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
give us this dealers name and add him the bad list. More than likely they didn't torque anything. Document as much as possible about what you described. What for leak then take it elsewhere.

OP
OP
Darth Cobra

Darth Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tri Yellow GT350
give us this dealers name and add him the bad list. More than likely they didn't torque anything. Document as much as possible about what you described. What for leak then take it elsewhere.
I got them to notate my service ticket that they did not torque the splitter bolts. When I asked the service tech to see the install instructions he said he didn't need them because he had done it before. Per their service manager who I will be talking to on Monday said they had done two.

He clearly had no memory of torquing anything even if he read the instructions the first time. His exact words, not every car requires to be torqued. I wanted scream!

OP
OP
Darth Cobra

Darth Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tri Yellow GT350
FYI...Alan Vigil Ford, Fayetteville location. Had a great experience last week when I had my oil change done. Service Manager knew the torque spec, # of quarts, everything.

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
90% chance that tech put your car on a lift then didn't touch it until he took it off. Was paid to do the recall and didn't do jack shit! I'd blast them on here and never go back.

Sponsored

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
Yep, this is why I'm rolling in without my splitter on. That way when I get home I can double check the torque on the bolts.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
I have no idea how to get quality work done these days. Awhile back I had a long wait at a dealership, found I could get away with wandering down aisle between the bays if I didn't stop and linger too long. Only person I saw with torque wrench was an engine builder and he was grey haired.
Sponsored